Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook pro frozen screen

Options
  • 04-04-2017 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I was updating software on my MacBook pro ( long overdue ) and while it was installing new software it froze, it shows the Apple logo in the centre with a progress bar which is stuck about 90% of the way all day.
    Any help ? Tried powering down and restarting but no difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Try reset SMC and NVRAM:

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201295
    https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204063

If that doesn't work you'll probably need to load into recovery and do a SW reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Instructions in second link have restarted the install so fingers x , thanks

:mad: still freezing at the same point on install progress, I can't access anything else so I reckon into compub tomorrow :-( , thanks for the help
    This is all I'm getting .

You could try reinstalling from recovery mode.

Power it down, start it up and then hold down cmd + R til you get the apple symbol.

Once in recovery choose option 2 from the menu - Reinstall OS

• Advertisement

You could try reinstalling from recovery mode.

Power it down, start it up and then hold down cmd + R til you get the apple symbol.

Once in recovery choose option 2 from the menu - Reinstall OS
    No joy, still goes straight to progress bar as in pic :-(

Does it go into recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

With DiskWarrior make a bootable recovery stick.
    After you boot with that stick, you can repair the partition, it takes around 2-3 minutes.
    I have the same problem every now and then because I dual boot and the partitions are quite fragile.

Do that and you're gonna thank me later.
    Goodluck

It went to recovery but no joy on os reinstall, just doing a restore from external drive for now. I'm not very techie, kept meaning to update it all but my missus kept filling it up with files and pics ! I think it might be better for m to take it to compu B , let the experts sort it out .

Advertisement