Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome keeps freezing!

Options
  • 04-04-2017 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I can't really recall when it started happening but i know it only happens on my new desktop and it only happens on when I'm on YouTube i haven't bothered with it because i presume it was just a bug and would be fixed now but still happening.

In Task manager chromes takes up about 35 - 40% of my CPU (When on YouTube and chrome just freezes i have to end task and reload the page to make it work again but about 5 seconds later happens again.

I have turned off all extensions they made no change to it.
    I have tried Firefox that works fine.
    I have reinstalled chrome and no luck!

Its just getting a bit annoying now so i want to get to the bottom of it!

PC Specs:

I really don't think hardware has anything to do with it.

i5 6600k @4.6GHz
    16GB DDR4 Ram

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have you deleted the massive temp space it takes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like its software decoding. Did you disable GPU acceleration in chrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like its software decoding. Did you disable GPU acceleration in chrome?

Nope ill check to see if its on or off.

Update: Its not called GPU Acceleration anymore as far as know but i think i found whats its been changed to and enabled it and seems to have worked will report tomorrow when i get a chance with another update.

Thanks man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

As a possible quick fix you could try forcing Chrome to use HTML5 rather than flash or the other way around depending on which one it's currently using. This extension looks like it will let you flip between the two.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtube-flash-html5/omimccinlhlkpjaeaocglgmkbelejlhj?hl=en

Ditched Chrome for Opera myself last year due to Chrome being laggy, slow to load etc. Opera is flying since , not a single problem, fast and snappy in comparison to Chrome. Can also use chrome extensions in Opera. Can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

learn_more wrote: »
    As a possible quick fix you could try forcing Chrome to use HTML5 rather than flash or the other way around depending on which one it's currently using. This extension looks like it will let you flip between the two.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtube-flash-html5/omimccinlhlkpjaeaocglgmkbelejlhj?hl=en

Ditched Chrome for Opera myself last year due to Chrome being laggy, slow to load etc. Opera is flying since , not a single problem, fast and snappy in comparison to Chrome. Can also use chrome extensions in Opera. Can't recommend it enough.

Wow never new that never really heard anything about Opera nor met anyone that uses it as main browser so never even thought on trying it, i started using Firefox but last about a week just didn't like it. Ive been using google chrome for a long time so im kind of stuck with it and never had a problem with it till now so ill give it a chance if "ED E" solution works well then its all good :) if not ill give Opera a try ;)

Thanks again guys! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement