Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not sure what to do.

Options
  • 05-04-2017 4:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I'm currently in sixth year. I'm absolutely terrified for the ordinary level maths exam. I've already spoken to my school guidance counsellor about the possibility of dropping to foundation level. She agreed that I should do it but the reason behind this is I've been in and out of school for a long time due to my low self esteem and mental state gone haywire. I'm not even sure if going to college or not yet because I simply don't know what it is I'm interested in course wise. Most colleges I've seen only accept someone who's passed ordinary level maths so I'm kinda stuck on what I should do. Also on a side note I'm seriously worried about the fact I'm barely able to go into school as I feel very depressed in myself and I'm scared of how I'm to manage college. One thing I want to point out is I'm a bit of a loner so going to friends for opinions and support isn't a option unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Why not ask about a gap course, like a plc that will get you into a course you might not get the points for straight off

Take it handy on yourself there are loads of options these days. Rome wasn't built in a day.

See your guidance counselor about this maybe arrange a meeting with that as the main point, so other options that are more manageable but lead to a decent course
    You'll still need to work at this though, so consider a more manageable target but something you'll work towards.

Can you get grinds for maths ? It's worth the effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hi!
    Have you discussed it with your parents?
    Regarding what your plans for next year remember theirs plenty of course in community colleges at level 5 or 6 which might suit you if you feel your not ready for a college/university.
    I was in the exact same position with your regarding Ordinary level maths. I failed almost every maths test I did in secondary school and I considered dropping to foundation level. I hated it so much I couldn't focus on it at all and I did hardly study until about May before my leaving cert. I felt I had to do it to tough because of entry requirements.
    I still have no idea how I managed it but I got a D1 everybody was gobsmacked nearly I even did better than people who were considered to be okay at ordinary level maths. When I did the exam I think I stayed longer than anybody else and with every step I made I wrote a little note beside it explaining what I was doing to the corrector. It looked like I tried my best.
    Best part of it is once it's over I never have to add X's and Y's now and I was told it was so essential in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aidanben15

Sorry for the late reply got a B in junior cert but I highly doubt I'll pass with the bare minimum I'm getting in my exams and I understand I'm going to be limited course wise, I'm grateful that your concerned about that but I don't see any other option at the moment because I really don't want to end up being the kid that fails miserably and has to repeat the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How did you get on in your pre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Don't let maths ruin the rest of your leaving cert. There are lots of courses that don't look for a pass in maths. Are you doing higher or ordinary in your other subjects?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you managed a B at JC you should not have a problem with LC OL.
    Is it a mental block you have rather than not actually being able to do the Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aidanben15

How did you get on in your pre?

I failed miserably only got 11%

Advertisement