Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

looksee wrote: »
    I wonder will the premises that have the advantage (whether they want it or not) of the roof have their rates increased?

I would like to see premises maintained but I would certainly not want a uniform colour on the upper stories.
    Unlikely! But here is what I suspect might happen. Premises might slyly try and encroach into the area with seating without paying the due fees. One publican down that way  has" tried to use the popularity of their premises to influence the electorate and  criticize government and things like rates....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Are you living in Waterford? Because if so then I suspect that this is the problem. Because at best what you are saying is subjective.?I live outside the country and see vast improvements when I come back. They don't get everything right but nobody does. But the principles that are driving what they are doing are well ahead of anywhere else in the South East. Look at the medieval mile in Kilkenny. It is merely a derivative of the Viking Triangle concept. Same with the pedestrianization of the city. Wexford, Kilkenny and Clonmel only seriously started the process?nearly twenty years later. Kilkenny?has built or are building a highway through their medievel city seperating. This is 1960's thinking. To be frank if you claim that no thought is being put into the development of the city then you have either one helluva blind spot or are being disingenuous in the extreme.

He left for the big smoke and has been patronising and condescending to the rest of us because of it. Worst sort of "Billy big balls" character, the family must just love seeing him at Christmas.
    I know he is clueless. I should have read his earlier posts before I bothered with him. The fact that he is talking about demolition of most of the city center shows the complete lack of comprehension of basically anything. I see he didn't know about the SDZ. So that basically means he knows nothing about what is going on in the city. The most reliable newspaper in Ireland at the moment is the Sunday Business Post which gave a fantastic plug for Waterford last week. It has been recognized that we probably have the best museums now outside of Dublin. All this seemingly gone over his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

He left for the big smoke and has been patronising and condescending to the rest of us because of it. Worst sort of "Billy big balls" character, the family must just love seeing him at Christmas.

There is room up here for you also Harry if you are brave enough to make the move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brave? Why would I sell up for Y and then be massively out of pocket to buy in Dublin at Y x 3? That's just stupid. My income wouldn't jump by three times and I'd hate to end up in Darndale or similar

Anyway I actually quite like Waterford for all it's bombsite aesthetics :pac: It's compact manageable size which can be got out of quickly for the beach or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Saw it yesterday walking from Spring Garden and thought it looked good. With the mirrored effect it actually looked like there was no roof if that makes sense. I had to do a double take

• Advertisement

Ok but you'll be missing out on life in Ballsbridge! Short trips to the airport with plenty of destinations to choose from. Choice of fine restaurants and exclusive bars! Grade one racing at The Curragh, Fairyhouse. We have Croke Park and The Aviva on our doorstep. The 3 Arena and Bord Gais Theatre just a stones throw from your residence. Off later to see Robbie Williams but I can clearly see why you wouldn't want to come to live in this splendid City! It's all happening here Harry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Okay I think it's clear enough you are actually typing that from a bedroom in Ballybeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Ok but you'll be missing out on life in Ballsbridge! Short trips to the airport with plenty of destinations to choose from. Choice of fine restaurants and exclusive bars! Grade one racing at The Curragh, Fairyhouse. We have Croke Park and The Aviva on our doorstep. The 3 Arena and Bord Gais Theatre just a stones throw from your residence. Off later to see Robbie Williams but I can clearly see why you wouldn't want to come to live in this splendid City! It's all happening here Harry!

You nearly had me until you mentioned Robbie Williams. Jesus Christ, hope your only going for the woman...

Okay I think it's clear enough you are actually typing that from a bedroom in Ballybeg.

Harry! It's been a pleasure Sir! Take care and look after yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

And would that matter if it was a bedroom in Ballybeg or would it be less of a fantasy if it was a more affluent area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

Went for a walk around town today, I am loving the applemarket. Walking up John Street and some how Michael is more visible, think this is due to the removal of the tree and traffic.

The reflective roof looks great, looking up Michael Street you can see nothing but a busy pedestrian Street full of flowers.

Michael Street and the apple market look connected now and I can see a waterford version of Shop Street in Galway developing.

A few premises already have outdoor seating in the applemarket which were full, for some reason it appeared more people were present in the applemarket then usual.

Once complete the area will be buzzing I feel. I can only imagine a band now playing there and all seating under the roof.

Fingers crossed the shopping centre now goes ahead in Michael Street. Would also love to see some development take place in the old Bank of Ireland comprising of pubs/restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ooosh!! 914 comes swooping in with the positivity. Good work new fella :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Pity the traffic is so bad and the high level of crime, and the cost, although if you are living where you claim you could possibly rent a small 1 bed for less than €1500 a month if you are lucky. :) ( its a bit of a rough area)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Walked through town yesterday. Very impressed with the new applemarket. Will glass be going to go on the bottom of the roof or is it going to stay as it is?

Also can anything be done with the whetherspoons premises. Really should be fines in place for the owners of unused property like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Totally agree, both front and back of weatherspoons looks crap. It would even be better if some traders sold their wears in front of it.

I havent been down to the Applemarket in weeks when previously I saw it daily so look forward to seeing the progress.

I have seen one photo and it reminds me of 'Thames!'

14shy1i.jpg

4h9u36.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

I believe weatherspoons is on the long finger, they are only concentrating on Dublin and Cork for now. I'd say it will be a few years before we see any movement with their development here.

Although if Michael Street and North Quays get the green light it might put a push on them.

From Clares accessories right around to the old Bank in arundel square, I would love to see demolished and something much fresher built there.

That bloody building where sports savers was is just rotten.

Anyhow back to the applemarket, looking forward to seeing more progress over the coming weeks.

Did I hear right that it will be fully finished by the August Bank holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Walked through town yesterday. Very impressed with the new applemarket. Will glass be going to go on the bottom of the roof or is it going to stay as it is?

Also can anything be done with the whetherspoons premises. Really should be fines in place for the owners of unused property like this one.

I feel the finish looks cheap, I saw the mirrored canopy in Marseille and this is not up to that standard, not only are the panels distinct , the panels are fixed in with black screws every 30 cm or so, It is a pity as it does not have the continuous mirror effect you get in the Marseille canopy.

I do like it , just let down by the quality.

914 wrote: »
    I believe weatherspoons is on the long finger, they are only concentrating on Dublin and Cork for now. I'd say it will be a few years before we see any movement with their development here.

Although if Michael Street and North Quays get the green light it might put a push on them.

From Clares accessories right around to the old Bank in arundel square, I would love to see demolished and something much fresher built there.

Anyhow back to the applemarket, looking forward to seeing more progress over the coming weeks.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I feel the finish looks cheap, I saw the mirrored canopy in Marseille and this is not up to that standard, not only are the panels distinct , the panels are fixed in with black screws every 30 cm or so, It is a pity as it does not have the continuous mirror effect you get in the Marseille canopy.

Jesus chaps, ye're beginning to sound like me! Maybe I'm not alone?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Chiparus wrote: »

I mentioned that a few weeks ago too about mirror, I'd hope what we see now with gaps between mirrors is not final spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I’d agree with you demolishing is all it is fit for. The old Sportsavers premises is actually an old factory building! It is a prime development site. Its value must have increase a lot since City Square started their revamp. But the owner(s) clearly are using it as a nest egg and are just happy to get the income it generates and don’t care about how it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BBM77 wrote:
    I’d agree with you demolishing is all it is fit for. The old Sportsavers premises is actually an old factory building! It is a prime development site. Its value must have increase a lot since City Square started their revamp. But the owner(s) clearly are using it as a nest egg and are just happy to get the income it generates and don’t care about how it looks.

Any idea what factory was there?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

A long way back, shoe factory someone told me once

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Maybe there is someone here who can confirm this but I have heard they have been pushed out by local vintners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

The owners where ready to go with Whetherspoons until the planning dept delayed them. In that time brexit hit them and they have tightened to purse strings and we are impacted. Pity the planning dept where so anal in hindsight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Max Powers wrote: »
    A long way back, shoe factory someone told me once

was it an old Renault Showroom?
    rekdtangle wrote: »
    Maybe there is someone here who can confirm this but I have heard they have been pushed out by local vintners.

Brexit impact I believe. Had to sell majority of portfolio of pubs in the North aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

dzilla wrote: »

The owners where ready to go with Whetherspoons until the planning dept delayed them. In that time brexit hit them and they have tightened to purse strings and we are impacted. Pity the planning dept where so anal in hindsight
    They were actively promoting the vote to Leave campaign in every single one of their pubs in the UK and the owner has now lost millions. Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Cahill and Hearne's Boot Factory I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1913058738965795&id=1672390643032607

Shortts has been renamed the market bar

Passed through the Apple market last night and it's impressive enough a few people out drinking/eating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Coming on alright!

• Advertisement

Really taking shape there at Apple market end, really great, getting real feel for areas potential, people outside and others looking up at mirror.

Advertisement