Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

As an outsiderI think it looks really interesting and I'll be going over to have a look when I'm in Waterford next week.
    I know some wont like it and probably never will - When the spire was being built in Dublin, I really liked it from day one whereas most people hated it at first. Now though I think the majority of locals have come to like it, it's just part of the streetscape and they dont really think about it any more.
    Once this structure is a few years old it'll be the same for locals.

As for someone claiming that most of Waterford should be demolished - well it will eventually, that's what happens in all cities - pull down the old stuff, build new stuff. Rinse. Repeat. It's been happening in Waterford probably longer than anywhere in Ireland. Just dont expect it all to happen overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

A couple of pics from twitter and a video from instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVSm5mWDr-r/

DCOGCahWsAAGs6y.jpg

DCOGCapWsAA2n2G.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I don't expect them to invest in their premises to suit a roof but I would have
    expected some effort by both the council and the premises owners in improving
    the look of the area. Compulsory purchase the two houses at the start of SGA
    to begin with and demolish them but I'm going around in circles again!

I would demolish the vast majority of this City as that's all it's fit for!
    People holding on to premises and doing nothing with them!
    Another charity shop in Michael Street I see!

What is Waterford CC doing to attract new business to the City?

I know this will come across as personal and most likely breach the charter but Your cyber-persona makes you comes across at the archetypal W'ford negative, incapable of dealing with change (apart from demolition works)....whinger....do you really think local authorities have limitless funding or something to allow them to go on a cpo'ing and rebuilding spree as you suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I don't expect them to invest in their premises to suit a roof but I would have
    expected some effort by both the council and the premises owners in improving
    the look of the area. Compulsory purchase the two houses at the start of SGA
    to begin with and demolish them but I'm going around in circles again!

I would demolish the vast majority of this City as that's all it's fit for!
    People holding on to premises and doing nothing with them!
    Another charity shop in Michael Street I see!

What is Waterford CC doing to attract new business to the City?

Well they are at least trying things instead of doing nothing and writing a load of Boll**ks on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Went down for another look this morning and I think it's going to be terrific. Something as big and bold as this is always going to look raw and brash at the beginning but when it's finished and the pubs & restaurants around it put out seating, do themselves up where needed, hang bunting etc, it'll be the dogs boll0x.
    Re the Quiet fellas comment about the red brick; there's no point in building something that tries to blend in with older architectural styles and materials from different eras - I think the architects call that pastiche. Better to build something bold and modern to really make a statement, and I think they will achieve that aim. But of course time will tell.
    But I say well done to all involved and I'm really looking forward to my first pint of Clonmel's finest in a pint glass full of ice sitting in the shade on a hot summers day outside Geoffs or Heerys listening to some tunes looking up at the reflection of the sun on the icecubes on the roof mirror........aaahhh.......:cool:

Hey Dunmoreroader, you should post more often. It's good to read some positivity in these threads instead of the usual whinging bitches negativity. Good work fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Another photo I took last night.... mirrors are progressing....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Great, fair play to those posting pics...Good to see it moving, looking forward to finish of it next month think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Some more pics from a different perspective I took yesterday. It's taking shape now and lots more light. It will be even better when the lighting is finished :)
    Hope its finished for Spraoi. They will have an outdoor stage on Saturday night of Spraoi from 7-10pm with music from Propellor Palms & Suzan O neill etc

awsLgOS.jpg

Ka2ifWT.jpg

VZv2Kmd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Some more pics from a different perspective I took yesterday. It's taking shape now and lots more light. It will be even better when the lighting is finished :)
    Hope its finished for Spraoi. They will have an outdoor stage on Saturday night of Spraoi from 7-10pm with music from Propellor Palms & Suzan O neill etc

awsLgOS.jpg

Ka2ifWT.jpg

VZv2Kmd.jpg

Looks sooooo much better with the mirror. Kind of trippy!!!

Deiseen wrote: »
    Looks sooooo much better with the mirror. Kind of trippy!!!

Thought that too

• Advertisement

Looks like it will be finished by today. Any idea of what the lighting will be like?

Looks like it will be finished by today. Any idea of what the lighting will be like?

Good bit left yet deiseen, might be near finish of mirrors.anyway, I'm not sure there will be any lighting arrangements, existing street light maybe upgraded who knows.did you hear/read something about other lighting, didn't see much cabling hanging down last time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Max Powers wrote: »
    Demolish most of city centre...you're dragging that line up again...makes as much sense as build these drumcondra style houses previously mentioned, .a lot of your posts indicate some sort of chip on shoulder vendetta against city council.

I know Max but that's just what I think! Ok, some improvement over the years has taken place but NOT ENOUGH!
    And again I'll say businesses NEED to address the condition of their frontage.
    We languished under the umbrella of Waterford Crystal when it was here. We didn't need to do much with the City as the tourists were coming here anyway! A different story now!

Also WCC need to do a lot more work particularly on Broad Street. A lot of
    those bricks/blocks need to be repointed if that's the correct terminology!
    WCC seem to be of the practice we'll build it and leave it, do no maintenance
    on it whatsoever! Streets again on Tuesday night an absolute disgrace!

I like class, style and elegance Max regardless of the cost and unfortunately we've seen very little of in either effort or regard from WCC towards our City.
    Just don't talk about austerity!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I know Max but that's just what I think! Ok, some improvement over the years has taken place but NOT ENOUGH!
    We languished under the umbrella of Waterford Crystal when it was here. We didn't need to do much with the City as the tourists were coming here anyway! A different story now!

Also WCC need to do a lot more work particularly on Broad Street. A lot of
    those bricks/blocks need to be repointed if that's the correct terminology!
    WCC seem to be of the practice we'll build it and leave it, do no maintenance
    on it whatsoever! Streets again on Tuesday night an absolute disgrace!

I like class, style and elegance Max regardless of the cost and unfortunately we've seen very little of in either effort or regard from WCC towards our City.
    Just don't talk about austerity!!!

You really are such a bull****ter, do you fancy trying to fund your visions from up there in Dublin eh?

You really are such a bull****ter, do you fancy trying to fund your visions from up there in Dublin eh?

I'm funding my own visions Max and doing quite well too thank you!
    Too many dark clouds in the sunny south east!

Quiet fella, your posts are ill informed, before you make these comments have a think, you didn't know about govt investment requirement into SDZ, it was news to you from your posts and then your posts consistently bad mouthing the council seem extreme.plus this nonsense of CPO half the place and knock it down are just not balanced, well thought out or slightest bit realistic.
    Fair enough, you don't like the new Apple market, everyone's has their taste but beyond that, the exaggerated and hysterical nature tone of your posts just seem off balance and over simplistic.

Stay well away then. Do us all a favour.

Stay well away then. Do us all a favour.

Business to attend to Harry!

Business to attend to Harry!

Demolition business. ; -)

Quiet fella, your posts are ill informed, before you make these comments have a think, you didn't know about govt investment requirement into SDZ, it was news to you from your posts and then your posts consistently bad mouthing the council seem extreme.plus this nonsense of CPO half the place and knock it down are just not balanced, well thought out or slightest bit realistic.
    Fair enough, you don't like the new Apple market, everyone's has their taste but beyond that, the exaggerated and hysterical nature tone of your posts just seem off balance and over simplistic.

Are you suggesting Max that great care, thought and consideration went in to any development within Waterford City? I wouldn't consider my views on WCC extreme but borne out of frustration at how little has been done and how little of it has been done well!

• Advertisement

Demolition business. ; -)

No Max unfortunately, as I'd make a fortune in Waterford.

Are you suggesting Max that great care, thought and consideration went in to any development within Waterford City? I wouldn't consider my views on WCC extreme but borne out of frustration at how little has been done and how little of it has been done well!
    The council in the last 4/5 years have done wonderful work. The useless bunch before them is where the blame lies. Maybe a lot of the current crowd were around before then but the council itself is doing as much as it can right now, money is not flying around but they are doing good with what they have.

Do you think the new structure looks better now with the mirrors?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mexicanvader

How about getting all businesses/buildings to keep the upper floors painted regularly. Maybe a "dress code" like keeping all buildings the same colour above the signage?

No Max unfortunately, as I'd make a fortune in Waterford.

Well,no you wouldn't because CPO is a complex, lengthy , expensive and rarely used process., as before, you need to inform yourself a bit better if you want to comment sensibly realistic and true picture of what's happening in Waterford,, you can get the local papers in easons O'Connell street and elsewhere.Good place to start and forget this CPO and knock it nonsense.

How about getting all businesses/buildings to keep the upper floors painted regularly. Maybe a "dress code" like keeping all buildings the same colour above the signage?

I agree with you to an extent on the front of shops. Seems to be an obsession in Waterford with dull, grey, dark colours. The council seem to maintain the same colours on buildings they control so I hope it's not a condition they enforce. Buildings should be bright and colourful, not dark and dull. The country is dark and dull enough without the buildings making it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wonder will the premises that have the advantage (whether they want it or not) of the roof have their rates increased?

I would like to see premises maintained but I would certainly not want a uniform colour on the upper stories.

The council in the last 4/5 years have done wonderful work. The useless bunch before them is where the blame lies. Maybe a lot of the current crowd were around before then but the council itself is doing as much as it can right now, money is not flying around but they are doing good with what they have.

Come the Winter it will be blown down! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Are you living in Waterford? Because if so then I suspect that this is the problem. Because at best what you are saying is subjective. I live outside the country and see vast improvements when I come back. They don't get everything right but nobody does. But the principles that are driving what they are doing are well ahead of anywhere else in the South East. Look at the medieval mile in Kilkenny. It is merely a derivative of the Viking Triangle concept. Same with the pedestrianization of the city. Wexford, Kilkenny and Clonmel only seriously started the process nearly twenty years later. Kilkenny has built or are building a highway through their medievel city seperating. This is 1960's thinking. To be frank if you claim that no thought is being put into the development of the city then you have either one helluva blind spot or are being disingenuous in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Come the Winter it will be blown down! :D
    Case in point....

• Advertisement

Are you living in Waterford? Because if so then I suspect that this is the problem. Because at best what you are saying is subjective.?I live outside the country and see vast improvements when I come back. They don't get everything right but nobody does. But the principles that are driving what they are doing are well ahead of anywhere else in the South East. Look at the medieval mile in Kilkenny. It is merely a derivative of the Viking Triangle concept. Same with the pedestrianization of the city. Wexford, Kilkenny and Clonmel only seriously started the process?nearly twenty years later. Kilkenny?has built or are building a highway through their medievel city seperating. This is 1960's thinking. To be frank if you claim that no thought is being put into the development of the city then you have either one helluva blind spot or are being disingenuous in the extreme.

He left for the big smoke and has been patronising and condescending to the rest of us because of it. Worst sort of "Billy big balls" character, the family must just love seeing him at Christmas.

Advertisement