Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet Mounted Camera

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Chiparus wrote: »
    I find the fly 6 is poor at reading the Irish registrations especially when the vehicles pass at speed.

Fly 12 is much better, possibly higher resolution

It's the angle that's the issue more than the camera. I get reg plates of mine. I find the picture good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The Fly6 is frankly; pants. It only shoots 720p 30fps. Action cameras from 2010 shot 1080p 30fps, so there's no excuse for 720p these days. And coupled with that the footage just isn't terribly good, although I would guess that youtube makes the footage a lot worse than straight off the camera. I don't know, I just think they are a lot of money for poor footage.

I guess they are niche. They have long battery life and doubles as a light, but imo its a waste of time if the resolution isn't enough to see registration plates.

True but my thinking is that any incident that takes place is going to be pretty close to the cyclist and normally reading a reg plate directly behind or to slightly either side of the bike is fine.

But agree, the big selling point for me was battery life, i get somewhere between 6-7 hrs out of a charge (if not more).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

capture of youtube vs camera, seems Youtube does impact the quality.

youtube
    420977.png

raw off camera
    420978.png

mods if there's an issue with the screen capture showing a reg, please delete image.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

jon1981 wrote: »
    mods if there's an issue with the screen capture showing a reg, please delete image.

Not in this case as it is an example of the camera working and in no way implies any wrong doing by said car. TBH if it is something in the public domain anyway, then it is not an issue but I will confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Protip: If you transcode your raw content into 4K the youtube compressor will give it more bandwidth so the resulting picture will be more detailed even at 1080.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well, I'll be damned. Must start looking elsewhere so.

I ordered one on Sunday/Monday. Still waiting for it to come into stock and ship but the seller (Irish) says they have ordered and paid for 100. They know its discontinued but are confident of getting them. They say nobody is buying the 4K version.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I ordered one on Sunday/Monday. Still waiting for it to come into stock and ship but the seller (Irish) says they have ordered and paid for 100. They know its discontinued but are confident of getting them. They say nobody is buying the 4K version.

Who is the distributor, in case they would have any spare stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/hero-session/CHDHS-104-master.html

Any thoughts on this, seems a good price for a go pro. Seems to be the gopro hero 4 rebranded. Cant find any info on battery life or if you would get bike mounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

detones wrote: »
    https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/hero-session/CHDHS-104-master.html

Any thoughts on this, seems a good price for a go pro. Seems to be the gopro hero 4 rebranded. Cant find any info on battery life or if you would get bike mounts.

I have the hero5 session and love it.

Hero has no stabilisation, but if its helmet mounted or you've a decent mount on the bike it shouldn't really be an issue.

The hero 5 also does 4k, but I have mine set to 1080p/60fps and it's crystal clear, which the Hero Session is capable of.

Voice control is a gimmick in my opinion.

Battery life is about 1.5 hrs, which isn't terrible for it's size, but not amazing for longer spins. I just charge overnight and it's enough for commuting both ways.

The more I type, the more I realise I've paid too much and the hero session would have been perfect for my needs :D

If you're getting it for the helmet, I'd recommend the low profile helmet mount. Stuck on using a 3M sticky pad and can be angled in any direction.

EDIT: Full spec/comparison is here: https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/#cam-landing-compare (Click Expand Full Specs)

Advertisement