Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top entrance trap

• 05-04-2017 8:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

anyone find it slow to catch with open top larsen traps have this trap set in a field and the pair of magpies are bouncing around it and will not go on top is it confidence or is it the setup.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Hunter456 wrote: »
    anyone find it slow to catch with open top larsen traps have this trap set in a field and the pair of magpies are bouncing around it and will not go on top is it confidence or is it the setup.

Leave a broken egg and a full egg on top of the trap seen it before it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

blackpearl wrote: »
    Leave a broken egg and a full egg on top of the trap seen it before it works

i have a call bird in the trap the magpies are just bouncing around the trap frustrating watching them, anyway i put some dog food on top of the trap and if that dose work i'll try the eggs.

sorry never looked at the photo i taught you were trying to catch a call bird,strange one did you trying moving it a few yards .

sorry never looked at the photo i taught you were trying to catch a call bird,strange one did you trying moving it a few yards .

I moved it a couple of yards dismorning and put some dog food on top and it jumped on the trap taking the food I watched for a minutes to see what he would do but he jumped on top a few times taken food and just fecked off came back same thing. I'll check when I go home it's strange like.

Hunter456 wrote: »
    I moved it a couple of yards dismorning and put some dog food on top and it jumped on the trap taking the food I watched for a minutes to see what he would do but he jumped on top a few times taken food and just fecked off came back same thing. I'll check when I go home it's strange like.

Don't no if it will make any difference but I always move my traps after dark .

• Advertisement

Don't no if it will make any difference but I always move my traps after dark .

had a quick look with the bino's one of the pair are caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Raise the trap off the ground (put it on a barrel or up on a wheelbarrow)
    it stops the magpies running around the trap they have to get up on top to fight with the call bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Raise the trap off the ground (put it on a barrel or up on a wheelbarrow)
    it stops the magpies running around the trap they have to get up on top to fight with the call bird.

Yea, spot on there. Not only that, but raising it off the ground with a frame or something, allows feces etc to fall through, keeping the trap clean, and bird healthy.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Yea, spot on there. Not only that, but raising it off the ground with a frame or something, allows feces etc to fall through, keeping the trap clean, and bird healthy.

i put two old black buckets under the trap to keep it off the ground and 10 minutes later there is a magpie in it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Put it beside a paling post.They will/might land on the post and drop on to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement