Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful Cycling Tips for Commuters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

This is huge. I'm amazed at how many commuting cyclists are not geared up for commuting. Get panniers, get dynamo lights, probably get upright handlebars, and consider if clip pedals make any sense in busy traffic.

I'd only agree with the dynamo from this list. I haven't got one yet and I'm happy enough with usb chargeable lights for now, but I plan to get one. I like commuting on my drop bar bike with clip in shoes and don't mind carrying a rucksack. I really don't like my Tannus tyres but they save me time checking pressures and I know I won't puncture, so they can stay

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

I really don't like my Tannus tyres but they save me time checking pressures and I know I won't puncture, so they can stay
    What is it you don't like about the Tannus? After two years commuting on them, I've fitted them on to my leisure road bike, and love them on that bike, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

Great posts! On a driving course I did many years ago, we were told that the Three Cs - Care, Courtesy and Consideration - should govern our driving behaviour. I think if all motorists, cyclists and pedestrians observed the Three Cs, our roads would be safer and much less stressful to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

boardbeer wrote: »
    What is it you don't like about the Tannus? After two years commuting on them, I've fitted them on to my leisure road bike, and love them on that bike, too.
    Hard ride and less grip compared to ordinary tyres. I have them on my commuter and am very happy with the peace of mind they afford but I wouldn't fancy them on a long leisure ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

This is huge. I'm amazed at how many commuting cyclists are not geared up for commuting. .

I'm amazed at how cyclists gear up for a trek across the Arctic on a 10 km commute.

Nah, it is always a race.

' In fear of pursuit
    I press on into the gale
    Passing riders like a gentle breeze
    Quietly weeping'

(Verse from a commuter racing poem)

• Advertisement

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I'm amazed at how cyclists gear up for a trek across the Arctic on a 10 km commute....
    :D

Reminds me of a chap I see regularly who has a 2km commute but spends an inordinate amount of time donning all sorts of wet gear and other winter stuff in preparation for his voyage into the unknown. Whenever I see him gearing up I'm tempted to shout "Just get on the fcuking bike and go".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm amazed at how cyclists gear up for a trek across the Arctic on a 10 km commute.
    We're talking about different kinds of 'gearing up' in fairness. I'm thinking about the folks with no mudguards spraying their spray over the rest of us.

... I'm thinking about the folks with no mudguards spraying their spray over the rest of us.
    Stop drafting and go to the front! :D

boardbeer wrote: »

I prefer my fillings to stay where they are!
    The bike with these on is all aluminium, even the fork and so in comparison to my carbon bike on 25mm contis it is like night and day. Some hideous road surface on my commute doesn't help either

In winter in Zurich, it almost took me as long to dress as to ride the 8 km to work, but I always arrived warm. My commute here now is 21 km and I dress pretty much the same (maybe one layer less here)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm not talking about road rage here. It is possible for two adults to have an adult engagement.

Possible, but in the heat of the moment not probable ;)

Most of the time you're just going to enter into a game of pigeon chess. I'd tend more towards Sun Tzu and pick my battles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ted1 wrote: »
    Cyclists don't pass each other at 60+ kmh. Any cyclist on the cycle path will be able to see the obstacle and will know not to over take.
    I'd disagree here, some people in the cycle lane will swing out widely with no warning or indication, and I know the paths well. I try my best, to jump into the bus lane to overtake if I am in the cycle lane. I often just wait behind some. People with TTbars who keep wobbling all over the place, a guy in a hi vis helmet going out to Bray whose bike is to big so he does not realise that when he tries hammering it he ends up zig zagging all over the place, and some people who just meander for the craic. If I am staying in the bike lane and it does not fill me with confidence, I will give a polite shout out, either Sorry, Excuse me or On your right, followed by a Thanks on the way by, otherwise I wait or overtake in the bus lane.
    Get panniers, get dynamo lights, probably get upright handlebars, and consider if clip pedals make any sense in busy traffic.
    I don't mind panniers but find them cumbersome and my messenger bag saved my skin one day where a greasy junction took the bike from under me. No need for dynamo lights if you have OK lights with you, I would not want to put anyone off cycling by adding on larger initial cost or friction as dynamo lights might. This said, I love dynamo lights but they are not even close to essential. As for clip pedals, everyones opinion differs on this, but i feel far safer in my spd-sls than I ever did in my runners going through town at heavy traffic time.
    If the driver meets five cyclists a day who tell him to move out, he just might get the message. He won't like it, but he might get it.
    He/She may also decide that not just one cyclist is a dick, but all cyclists are dicks. Make a judgement call, it is often easier to read people than you think and sometimes reacting identically to everyone, will net yield the same results. Personally, I find going to the passenger window (less threatening), a worried look (like they have a puncture), and then a very meek sounding but understandable message Iam not sure if you realised back there but a, b or c happened, just to let you know). 95% of drivers respond positively, often with an apology. I find that following with this, "not giving out, just so you know as you may not have realised" often is well recieved. Sometimes it doesn't work, often you can realise this before you get there. Sometimes less pleasant words are exchanged, hands up, this is not the right way to go. Never left one of those conversations with the impression the person understood what was wrong, even though for a cheap few seconds I felt like a big person about it, I often realised after, I done no one any favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My 2 cents....

Enjoy it - if you are cycling in Dublin you are in a very cycle friendly city and one that is a joy to cycle around.

Don't be afraid to be assertive (but don't be aggressive) - aim to 'take' 'your' 1.5m out from the kerb and always be at least 1m out - don't force an issue with a driver no matter how wrong they are or how right you are - you can be wholly and entirely legally in the right and still get squished or knocked.

Anticipate - actively watch and scan the traffic and learn to read it - be constantly thinking about the worst that could happen and be prepared to react to it.

Generally, don't RLJ - but the odd sneaky left, or freewheel through an unoccupied pedestrian crossing, while annoying to most people, really isn't that egregious a sin.

[in Dublin] watch out for the Luas lines - always cross them at 90 degrees (or as close as possible to 90 degrees).

Good lights trump hi-viz every time - take active safety measures, but hi-viz is better than nothing.

Commuter racing is great craic - but know and respect the rules :D:D:D (the first rule is if you break a rule of the road to get a win, you automatically forefeit the race to the opponent ;))

Leave the superior attitude at home - yes you are enjoying yourself, and yes you are moving faster than vehicular traffic, and yes you are getting fitter rather than sitting in a carcinogenic smog in a metal box, and yes you are probably saving money.......but there's no need to rub it in!

....and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

Jawgap wrote: »
    Generally, don't RLJ - but the odd sneaky left, or freewheel through an unoccupied pedestrian crossing, while annoying to most people, really isn't that egregious a sin.

Totally disagree. It's much easier to just never break a red light instead of cherry picking when to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Enjoy it - if you are cycling in Dublin you are in a very cycle friendly city and one that is a joy to cycle around.

Disagree there, in regards to both design, driver attitude and enforcement of road traffic law..
    be constantly thinking about the worst that could happen and be prepared to react to it.

Agree, do what's required to stay safe, you're not a car and don't have 1500kg+ of glass and metal around you to keep you safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

looie wrote: »

Totally disagree. It's much easier to just never break a red light instead of cherry picking when to do so.
    I feel safer going through red pedestrians lights when there's no one there , than having a bus or truck pull up beside me setting off at the same time.

We're talking about different kinds of 'gearing up' in fairness. I'm thinking about the folks with no mudguards spraying their spray over the rest of us.

Which brings us to another top tip:

Don't draft strangers. Its not only a bit rude, but someday you might pick the wrong wheel and they might brake suddenly to shake you off. A wheel touch will end ar*e over t*t for the bike at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I feel safer going through red pedestrians lights when there's no one there , than having a bus or truck pull up beside me setting off at the same time.

I hate the people on bicycles who just blatantly blast through Red lights, especially at busy pedestrian/car junctions, they should be all lined up and there spokes cut!

However, I do support and regularly practice the "Idaho Stop" and especially when there's a large vehicle or taxi right up your back wheel at a traffic signal

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

It's still a blatant disregard for the rules though. And as a city centre cyclist, I can safely say that the people breaking the red lights are not doing it out of a fear of having a collision with a bus/truck.

No problem......

.....but my view is that rolling through a pedestrian crossing at 6am in the morning is different to hammering through Five Lamps at 8:45am on a wet Tuesday morning.

Likewise rolling up to a junction, checking and carefully slipping a left is not a safety issue.....in fact the data shows it's safer than sitting and maybe getting penned in by a HGV......or getting swept when the lights change and a driver fails to notice you on the inside.

Also, it is illegal, so if you do it and get nabbed by a Guard......my final tip is to not whinge and take your medicine without complaint :D

• Advertisement

It's still a blatant disregard for the rules though. And as a city centre cyclist, I can safely say that the people breaking the red lights are not doing it out of a fear of having a collision with a bus/truck.

I'll be honest and admit I do it mostly for convenience......if/when I'm stopped at a junction and a truck rolls up beside me, I generally scoot a few yards ahead and make sure the driver can see me......again, illegal because I sometimes roll through to the ASL but I'd rather be illegal than in a truck's danger zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It might be, but for me self preservation comes before rules.

In winter in Zurich, it almost took me as long to dress as to ride the 8 km to work, but I always arrived warm. My commute here now is 21 km and I dress pretty much the same (maybe one layer less here)

You must have done a good job of getting your body fat into single digits !

I find its mostly never too cold or warm with the exception of a few days a year. A rain jacket and trousers with mudguards are sufficient for the worst days.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

No problem......

.....but my view is that rolling through a pedestrian crossing at 6am in the morning is different to hammering through Five Lamps at 8:45am on a wet Tuesday morning.

Likewise rolling up to a junction, checking and carefully slipping a left is not a safety issue.....in fact the data shows it's safer than sitting and maybe getting penned in by a HGV......or getting swept when the lights change and a driver fails to notice you on the inside.

Also, it is illegal, so if you do it and get nabbed by a Guard......my final tip is to not whinge and take your medicine without complaint :D

I proceed through red lights if it is safe to do so - especially if traveling in between 2 or 3 lanes of traffic - because I prefer to be up and moving ahead of the cars taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Question about Earlsfort Terrace to Stephen's Green? Someone in another thread said there's a pressure pad, but where? I use go with the pedestrian light as normally there's no green light.

There are certain places where deciding whether to follow red lights or cross with the pedestrian light is just a matter of choosing the least dangerous option.

Going from Stephen's Green to Earlsfort involves buses who beep only very close when I'm stopped at the red lights (usually a permanent green light for a bus turning left), because they've taken too wide sweep as they are turning at too fast on to Leeson Street, and then other buses cut corners, also because they're turning too fast, coming from Leeson Street. Waiting at a red light there isn't necessarily safe, so I'll cross, not wanting death by some surly, careless bus driver. Where there isn't danger from buses, I respect red rights. I think the safest policy is not to be dogmatic.

Question about Earlsfort Terrace to Stephen's Green? Someone in another thread said there's a pressure pad, but where? I use go with the pedestrian light as normally there's no green light.
    It's a good example - if there's no motorised traffic the lights won't change. I just dismount briefly and walk across.

You must have done a good job of getting your body fat into single digits !

If only....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

There are certain places where deciding whether to follow red lights or cross with the pedestrian light is just a matter of choosing the least dangerous option.

Going from Stephen's Green to Earlsfort involves buses who beep only very close when I'm stopped at the red lights (usually a permanent green light for a bus turning left), because they've taken too wide sweep as they are turning at too fast on to Leeson Street, and then other buses cut corners, also because they're turning too fast, coming from Leeson Street. Waiting at a red light there isn't necessarily safe, so I'll cross, not wanting death by some surly, careless bus driver. Where there isn't danger from buses, I respect red rights. I think the safest policy is not to be dogmatic.
    It's a good example - if there's no motorised traffic the lights won't change. I just dismount briefly and walk across.

I used to think this, but I've started stopping over the edge of the induction sensor (pressure pads are very unusual in traffic management for vehicles), in the right hand lane (i.e. straight to Earlsfort Tce). This means to stop with the bike along the short side of the rectangular tar seam before the line in this lane. Without fail I now trigger the traffic lights without any larger vehicular traffic waiting to pass. However, obviously if there is a bus opposite this is unnecessary, and similarly if one comes up behind me, I'll move along and let it trigger the sensor as double insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I don't think I've ever felt the need to go through a red light for safety reasons. I find that if I'm stopped at the light, in the right position, then trucks/buses don't stop 'on top of you'.

If you've gone past a stopped truck/bus to get to the red light ahead of it, then there might be a problem - but one of your own making.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    .. This means to stop with the bike along the short side of the rectangular tar seam before the line in this lane. Without fail I now trigger the traffic lights without any larger vehicular traffic waiting to pass....
    It never works for me. Is it triggered by metal and therefore not by a carbon bike?

Advertisement