Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

308 Win, What grain for hunting deer?

Options
  • 05-04-2017 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Novice question but 308 Win, What grain for hunting deer?

What's the difference between 90 or 155 grain? Other than that obvious speed

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

150 grain is the staple for 308 and used in 1:12 twist rifles. Anything lighter and you usually need a slower twist rate, which are hard got unless it's custom. Something like 1:13 or even 1:14.

I used to use Lapua 109 grain. They were called either trainer rounds or barrel burners. They were light and super fast. At 100 yards they were ok-ish, but after that my 1:12 was not the right twist for stablising them. Also they were hard got at the time and with them being FMJ useless for me for hunting.

What rifle have you?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Cass wrote:
    What rifle have you?

I have a Ruger M77, I've no idea about twists haha

Ruger Hawkeyes are, if memory serves, 1:10 twist which is odd as most manufacturers use a 1:12 as their standard.

The 1:10 may fire 150gr good enough, but they prefer heavier rounds such as 165 to 180 gr. They even fire heavier stuff up to 200 gr. However i doubt they'll run the 109 stuff either well or at all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Th 1 in 10 seems to be a US standard for 308.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yeah noticed that. Their Remington line has a lot of 1:10s in it, more so than most European models or more accurately ones sold in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ntipptop

I have a Ruger M77, I've no idea about twists haha

a 168 flows nicely through them

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ldc

Hi,
    I have used many types and weights. My vote goes to Remington Premier Accutip 165 gn. Always works, and no runners ever with those in many years of shooting all deer species in Ireland with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 philbk

Free-2-Flow
    05-Apr-2017 09:46
    Novice question but 308 Win, What grain for hunting deer?

What's the difference between 90 or 155 grain? Other than that obvious speed

Apart from the obvious speed difference, bullet design is the most important factor in choosing the correct bullet weight. For deer hunting you need a bullet that penetrates and expands in a controlled manner. Generally light fast bullets are designed to be very frangible - i.e. Almost explosive - generally only suitable for use on pest species such as foxes. Deer hunting bullets are generally heavier, travel a bit slower, penetrate and expand predictably usually retaining much of their weight and resulting in a mushroom shape rather than disintegrating.

Advertisement