Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straffan Wood

Options
  • 05-04-2017 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

Thinking of buying a house in Straffan Wood in Maynooth - has anyone got any information on the area and the estate? I see they have built new houses infront of the straffan wood estate which overlooks the houses but anything else I should know?

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Investor321

I would advise buying in this estate - the houses were built by Albany Home company and built the houses really poorly - the sound insulation is awful, windows are all rotten, roof structures are terrible - you can literally hear your neighbours taking! My friend just moved out of their home as he feared the houses suffered from pyrite!! It wouldn't surprise me at all as most of the house all The Place in Straffan Wood have been sold or are for sale the past few months!

My advice would be to pay the same money and buy a new house in Carton Court but that up to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oliviajohnson

I live in Straffan Wood. The grass cutting fees are 50 euro per house and the grass is cut regularly. The grass cutting fees are 25 euro for the apartments but many do not pay as they apparently already pay management fees and refuse to pay to maintain the large greens areas. The people are pleasant and there is a resident committee here you can join that meets regularly. There is very little crime in terms of houses getting broken into and the last time I heard of a house getting robbed was over a year and a half ago. The houses are well built and the wood frame windows are fined once they are maintained. There are a lot of small kids in the estate and they can be quite noisy when playing outside, also depending on the house you buy you may not own the parking space outside your house, most are first come first serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pullover

I live in Straffan Wood and have no issues here. I don't think they are badly sound proofed as we don't hear the neighbours or the traffic on the motorway. We also read this when buying that they were built badly so we got a survey done and very little came back in it.
    Lovely sense of community here and lots of young families.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pullover

Oh I thought of one thing! The broadband is a pain as you don't have much options cos the cabling is caught up in a custody battle! We have eir broadband and is very good but I don't think there are many other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

I lived there until not too long ago. Was burgled 3 times in less than a year. Otherwise it was grand, internally you hear everything in the other rooms, but never really heard the neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Catdog99

Hi all,

We are now currently looking at a house for sale in straffan wood. Has anyone's opinions changed? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the house hasn't had its windows and doors replaced; you'll need to replace them. The ones as fitted are terrible. I believe the planning permission requires wooden windows but nobody is getting wooden replacements.

You will hear your neighbours farting in bed. I definitely heard a child being conceived.

There's no cable; only Eir/Vodafone/Sky etc for broadband which is quite a step down from cable. Ditto its satellite or internet TV if you want multichannel.

Never had the anti social issues when I was living there, though.

Virgin Media appears to be available as of this week, either that or they've made an utter arse out of an addressed leaflet drop..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

L1011 wrote: »
    Virgin Media appears to be available as of this week, either that or they've made an utter arse out of an addressed leaflet drop..

Does anyone know about the yellow road markings outside some of the houses ? Seems there for alliw cars to turn ? Can you park at n them if you buy a house in front of them ?
    Are the council liable to clamp? Or fine ?

Thks

They're for turning, doubt you'd be clamped but you'll piss off absolutely everyone else.

• Advertisement

They're for turning, doubt you'd be clamped but you'll piss off absolutely everyone else.

I wonder . They are in the most rediculous place a few feet past you can turn near end of cul de sac .. they were poorly planned. I see people parking there all the time .. no issues .. the estate has been taken in charge by council council so it was really what type of yellow lines are they eg informative / regulatory / warning .. if information only doubt anything could be legally enforced .. just wondered .. thanks

Pullover wrote: »
    I live in Straffan Wood and have no issues here. I don't think they are badly sound proofed as we don't hear the neighbours or the traffic on the motorway. We also read this when buying that they were built badly so we got a survey done and very little came back in it.
    Best of luck.

Sorry just wondered would you recommend BROADBAND provider please

Virgin. Everyone else can only give about a fifth to a quarter of Virgin's base package speeds.

Virgin. Everyone else can only give about a fifth to a quarter of Virgin's base package speeds.

Super. Virgin media it is so. I tried 3 modem there today got 1 mbps

Thks

Pullover wrote: »
    Best of luck.

Sorry for jumping in here...I was wondering would anyone have any idea what year these houses were built?

I applied for a got a central heating grant , , but it has been refused as the building was not built and habitable before 2006 and therefore ineligible for a grant.

A big money loss , I was sure they were built some time before 2006.
    Any help appreciated
    Paddy

Albany Homes started on-site May 2004 for houses and September 2004 for apartments and continued for about two years. You would need to find out something like the date of first electrical connection to argue that its an 05 habitation, I'm fairly sure there were some houses sold by then

The date cutoff thing is rough but if they went on equipment type, they'd have no interest in replacing gas condensing boilers yet - considering you could get grants to install a gas condensing boiler until 2017!

Advertisement