Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a bike.

• 05-04-2017 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a bike that's on UK reg but has been in Ireland for years. Am i likely to have a problem with this?

Don't want to wind up paying the back tax since its not mine to pay!

I'm not really sure on the procedure to bring a vehicle in either so if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'm considering buying a bike that's on UK reg but has been in Ireland for years. Am i likely to have a problem with this?

Don't want to wind up paying the back tax since its not mine to pay!

I'm not really sure on the procedure to bring a vehicle in either so if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Has the UK road tax been paid in that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

zubair wrote: »
    Has the UK road tax been paid in that time?
    No. Been in a garage for most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

It is illegal to sell a UK register vehicle without paying the VRT first. (Revenue)

So make sure you have a recent receipt to show it has not been in the country for years ;)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

BronsonTB wrote: »
    It is illegal to sell a UK register vehicle without paying the VRT first. (Revenue)

So make sure you have a recent receipt to show it has not been in the country for years ;)

Exactly, you'll need a shipping receipt showing when it was imported to the country, anything will do, it could be in crayon for all they care.

As far as i know that unpaid road tax will have to be paid if it's not been declared off the road so someone will have to pay it.

So.. I've just bought a bike over in England. I've a handwritten receipt for the bike and the boat back. I can then pay the vrt and get a plate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

yes either that or you bought it up north

As its a UK reg and not NI to be in Ireland it will need to have been shipped at some stage. Best go with a shipping receipt or get tangled up in a web of lies.

zubair wrote: »
    As its a UK reg and not NI to be in Ireland it will need to have been shipped at some stage. Best go with a shipping receipt or get tangled up in a web of lies.
    Thought that might be an issue. Unless a previous owner had shipped it and i bought from him.

Probably just as easy to get a receipt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

no need to lie anyway if you have a hand written real receipt and the ferry ticket, that's as legit as it gets as far as they are concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

What all would it entail to bring in a bike from NI that is currently registered there?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

This turned out to be very simple. A letter from myself explaining that the bike was brought over years ago and parked in a shed til I bought it was taken in lieu of a ferry receipt. No question of back tax, that is the last owners problem, doubt they'll come looking for him

Advertisement