Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to play Golf in Kilkenny

Options
  • 05-04-2017 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to take up golf as a past time and was wondering if any one might have advice on how to go about starting in Kilkenny. I've never played golf before but do play other sports (fairly badly!).

Q1. Any golf club in or around Kilkenny that people would recommend as welcoming to newbies.

There seems to be lots of choice in and around the county from what I've found e.g. Castlecomer, Ballyhale, Kilkenny city, Gowran, Callan.

I live in the city but I'm open to where I play.

Q2. Any recommendations on who to go to for golf lessons.

Q3. Any other suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The pococke golf course has cheap fees during the week so if you want to just mess around it's a good option before committing to a club membership. I think it was around a tenner the last time I used it midweek.

Number one rule is if you lift a clump of grass with a swing then make sure to place it back before moving on. Other than that the only thing to keep in mind is that the first twenty years of golf are the hardest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I second the pococke, you can hack your way around there and no-one will bat an eyelid. You can practice in the driving range in Newpark to get going. I recommend not playing pitch and putt at the start. Don't ever get frustrated, I might be crap but at least I enjoy it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I recommend not playing pitch and putt at the start.
    I agree with this. Better off getting used to long holes and using woods from the start. When I took up golf all the short holes were easy but I'd favour irons over woods and always come up too short on the long holes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    I agree with this. Better off getting used to long holes and using woods from the start. When I took up golf all the short holes were easy but I'd favour irons over woods and always come up too short on the long holes.

The way you strike the ball in p&p is different also as you're not trying to get distance and looking for backspin or the ball to stop dead.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Golf Lessons: Phone the newpark driving range and booked in with Keith, he's the professional there.
    Kilkenny Golf club also have a pro who gives lessons but he is alot more expensive.

The Pococke is not good, it is now only a 12 hole course and costs €15 at the weekends. Hop in the car and head out to Ballyhale. It is €15 for a round there. Full 18 hole course. Some people turn their noses up at it but I really like the course. It is also very quiet there except saturday and sunday mornings. You could join there for €250 for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

The Pococke was a lovely little course when it was a proper Par 3 course, they made an absolute shambles of extending the course.

Still though pococke is enough of a taster on its own before committing to annual fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

catbear wrote: »
    Still though pococke is enough of a taster on its own before committing to annual fees.

Would definitely agree with that, a good option for a beginner in around town.

Advertisement