Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tip for caravan owners

• 05-04-2017 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Have you ever tried changing a tyre on your caravan?

My tyres were 8 years old so I decided I better change them before I have a blowout due to cracking from old age. I then found out how difficult it is to change a tyre on a caravan and not something you want to be doing for the first time in an emergency.

The first problem I had was getting the spare from under the caravan so I could take a wheel off to get the tyre changed (I didn't want to bring the caravan to the tyre fitter with little room to manouvre). The spare wheel carrier didn't come out past the chassis rail so I needed to pull the caravan up onto a leveling block to make some room.

The next problem was to get the spare wheel off the carrier. The nuts securing the wheel in place had rusted over the 8 years it had been in there and never moved. It took me a couple of hours working, with the wheel still half under the caravan, loosening the nuts with WD40 before I eventually got them off.

When I got the spare wheel out I found that the pressure was very low so I had to pump it up before I could use it. Luckily, I keep a foot pump available and was able to get that sorted.

Unless you have the specific Alko jack, you have to use the reinforced jacking point directly under the axel behind the wheel to lift the caravan. I was using a 2 tonne bottle jack rather than a car jack as it is easier to use in a confined space. Luckily I already had the caravan on the leveling block as the jack wouldn't fit if the caravan was at the normal height.

Changing the wheels and getting the tyres replaced was the easiest part. The tyres were an unusual size that my normal tyre fitter didn't stock so I ordered them myself and he fitted them. If I hadn't been at home with plenty of tools available and under no time pressure there is no way I would have been able to change a tyre if I had a puncture. Now I know what tools I need if I have to change a tyre on the road.

If you have a caravan I strongly suggest you practice changing a tyre at home, even if you just get to the point of jacking up the caravan and having the spare ready.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you have a caravan, I suggest you do some basic preventative maintainence, at least pump the spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

:rolleyes:

Supposed to be done during the service but must have been ignored. It's very difficult to get at so I wouldn't check it when checking the pressure of the tyres in use.

I find penetrating oil is far superior at releasing ceased nuts than Water Displacement 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

And always ensure caravan is attached to car while lifting, especially if single axle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This isn't confined to Caravans either, Motorcaravans should check their spare and all the associated stuff to change the wheel as well.
    Late model Ducatos have a problem with the spare wheel retention mech as well, worth checking while you are under the van.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

CJhaughey wrote: »
    This isn't confined to Caravans either, Motorcaravans should check their spare and all the associated stuff to change the wheel as well.
    Late model Ducatos have a problem with the spare wheel retention mech as well, worth checking while you are under the van.

Mine doesn't have a spare - just a battery driven compressor and a can of gunk. We've spent the past twelve years on the continent for five to six weeks at a time and travelling in all sorts of out of the way places. I woke up in a cold sweat last week thinking what could have happened if I had cut a tyre on a mountain road or on a motorway. So I've just bought a 2 Ton trolley jack and a secondhand Ducato spare wheel. Hopefully I'll never need them.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

And always ensure caravan is attached to car while lifting, especially if single axle..
    Absolutely, no way would I trust the caravan brake to hold it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Mine doesn't have a spare - just a battery driven compressor and a can of gunk. We've spent the past twelve years on the continent for five to six weeks at a time and travelling in all sorts of out of the way places. I woke up in a cold sweat last week thinking what could have happened if I had cut a tyre on a mountain road or on a motorway. So I've just bought a 2 Ton trolley jack and a secondhand Ducato spare wheel. Hopefully I'll never need them.:D

Make sure the trolley jack will lift it enough most 2 ton ones don't have the height you might need a few timber blocks to go with it. Also make sure you can actually open the studs I've had mine so stiff that my 15stone bouncing on a 4ft scaffold pole wouldn't open them nor would a 450Nm impact. Also need a decent wheel brace those cheap extending ones will snap on a stiff ducato .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Make sure the trolley jack will lift it enough most 2 ton ones don't have the height you might need a few timber blocks to go with it. Also make sure you can actually open the studs I've had mine so stiff that my 15stone bouncing on a 4ft scaffold pole wouldn't open them nor would a 450Nm impact. Also need a decent wheel brace those cheap extending ones will snap on a stiff ducato .
    Good advice that - I've written off a few cheap sockets and handles in my time.
    I think I'll need to get a good quality socket and bar - i.e. something like Snap-On that won't break. Also I'll be asking the mechanic to loosen and re-torque the wheel studs when he's servicing the van before I head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Good advice that - I've written off a few cheap sockets and handles in my time.
    I think I'll need to get a good quality socket and bar - i.e. something like Snap-On that won't break. Also I'll be asking the mechanic to loosen and re-torque the wheel studs when he's servicing the van before I head off.

A little bit of grease on the threads helps stop the binding.

• Advertisement

And if ze Germans built it the grease goes into the drums and lubricates your brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 greg1

Pre-punture sealant can be usefull and my prevent of burst of tyre but inspection is a MUST before every trip.

Advertisement