Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I using this USB cable correctly?

Options
  • 05-04-2017 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I bought a HDD adaptor kit the other day and it came with the USB cable in the picture below. I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly though. What is the use of the third connector?

http://imgur.com/a/gaSiK

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

One plug is for data and the other is for power. If the USB port supplies enough amps to power the USB drive and you can see it in explorer then only one is needed. If the drive doesn't power up use both.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭colbarr

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The short lead is for extra power only (its thinner). Some USB sockets can supply more than the spec allows, e.g. 500mA. Most drives need more power than that, maybe not for SSDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    One plug is for data and the other is for power. If the USB port supplies enough amps to power the USB drive and you can see it in explorer then only one is needed. If the drive doesn't power up use both.

+1 the USB port on the laptop will usually provide enough juice for a portable HDD like the OP's when the laptop is plugged into the mains but possibly not when it's running on battery, that's when you'll need an auxiliary source. A mobile phone charger will often do the job if it has a removable cable so you can see a USB port on the plug.

You may also find (as is the case with my laptop) that if you have a pair of USB ports side by side on one side of your laptop, neither of them can power an external device but a single USB port on the other side will.

Advertisement