Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyme disease set to rise in the next year or two

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ticks are always a concern but i've seen a much more prevalent number of ticks on deer, foxes, etc. Even local lads with dogs are plagued with them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

handy enough to find on on yourself but on a dog thats another problem .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Bring back compulsory sheep dipping for years it helped to keep tick numbers down.
    Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I remember not all ticks carry the disease and it is not yet present in all areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

I have some ground where feral goats and deer were a constant presence, and every time I went in there I'd come out with at least a half dozen ticks crawling up my trousers or already stuck in my forearms. I was paranoid as hell about them and Lyme disease.

Then I got a deer fence put up to keep out the goats and deer. Now I might see one tick every 6 months or so, if that (and I'd spend a few hours in that same ground several times a week). And that change came about within only a year or two of fencing the place. So the lesson for me is: if you reduce or remove the carriers (large mammals like deer play an essential part in the tick life-cycle), you reduce/remove the problem.

Advertisement