Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Fr Ted references allowed or not?

Options
  • 05-04-2017 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭

Picture a thread about an inconsiderate neighbour. Drilling holes in walls later than most people would consider neighbourly.

Imagine there are posters with opposing views.

One poster maintains that 11pm is not too late to be regularly kango hammering in an adjoining house, and suggests the OP should give up his own time to help the inconsiderate neighbour finish the job.

Another poster makes a humorous and predictable reference to Fintan Stack, quoting his famous "I've hade my fun and that's all that matters" to refer to those who suggest people should just get over heavy/loud work after 10pm. The same poster also comments on the OP giving up his time to complete the neighbours house and suggests the OP goes one step further and sells his car to hire a team to help the inconsiderate neighbour.

Whose posts are allowed to remain, the aggressive and impractical ones, or the humorous ones making light (now ye're talkin!) of the aggressive and impractical ones?

Remember - this is boards.ie :pac:

So.... was it the Fr Ted reference that drew the mod ire? Or the suggestion by exaggeration that the advice to help the neighbour rather than complaining was well, just not very realistic?

What exactly are we allowed to say and how are we allowed to say it these days?

Careful now!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Down with this sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

What exactly are we allowed to say and how are we allowed to say it these days?

Very little actually. Lots of over zealous clamping down on anything remotely possible of offending somebody on here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - did you address this with the PI mods? PI is a much more tightly regulated forum than others and it's always a good idea to ask the mods for feedback.

dudara wrote: »
    PI is a much more tightly regulated forum than others

Oh come on, when is a Father Fintan Stack reference not acceptable in a thread about people drilling holes at unsociable hours?

https://www.facebook.com/asirishasitgets/videos/1761445640751227/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Ignoring the fact for a second that starting threads on PI threads on other forums can result in a ban from PI, the situation is pretty straightforward.

PI is an advice forum, and considering the nature of the forum, responses are tightly regulated. You posted nothing that remotely constituted advice to the OP's situation - the best that can be said is that you posted to take potshots at other posters responses.

If you need to cite the PI charter, any of the following rules apply:
    • There is zero tolerance for muppetry here, and trolls etc. will not be treated lightly.
    • Off topic posts and unhelpful posts will not be tolerated.
    • Any advice given should be mature, constructive and non-abusive. Opinions are welcome. Ridicule and nastiness are not.

Your posts were not in any way helpful. They were (rightly) reported for not being helpful. And a moderator (rightly) deleted your unhelpful posts and asked you not to post in the thread again.

It really is that straightforward, and end of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Ignoring the fact for a second that starting threads on PI threads on other forums can result in a ban from PI, the situation is pretty straightforward.

PI is an advice forum, and considering the nature of the forum, responses are tightly regulated. You posted nothing that remotely constituted advice to the OP's situation - the best that can be said is that you posted to take potshots at other posters responses.

If you need to cite the PI charter, any of the following rules apply:
    • There is zero tolerance for muppetry here, and trolls etc. will not be treated lightly.
    • Off topic posts and unhelpful posts will not be tolerated.
    • Any advice given should be mature, constructive and non-abusive. Opinions are welcome. Ridicule and nastiness are not.

Your posts were not in any way helpful. They were (rightly) reported for not being helpful. And a moderator (rightly) deleted your unhelpful posts and asked you not to post in the thread again.

It really is that straightforward, and end of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

So was it the comment on whether the OP should or shouldn't help?
    If I say he shouldn't... that's muppetry?
    But to say that he should isn't?

Not very consistent really - any comment on whether the OP should or shouldn't help should be mod deleted so - shouldn't they?

Should we all just agree with previous posters? Is every thread now a race to "lock in" one particular point of view and anybody else will be banned?

Do YOU think the OP should give up his own time to help the neighbour rather than regarding the neighbour as an inconsiderate ignoramus?

Are apt Fr Ted references now considered muppetry?

There's muppetry going on over there alright but I'm far far from worst offender. A bit of consistency please lads.

Seriously though.

Several posters say "oh kango hammering after 10pm is obnoxious".
    Several poster say "it's 100% OK and if it wasn't there isn't a thing you can do about, I've had my fun and thats all that matters"

Are ALL the posters who said it's a bit ignorant muppets?
    Are ALL the posters who said it's a bit ignorant trolls?

Or just the ones who said the "it's grand, who's gonna stop me anyway" brigade were a bit "Fintan Stack". In a thread about people drilling holes in walls at night.

I assume the boards position is that it is 100% to be expected that the OP give up his time and sleep to go bust walls for the neighbour?
    Or is it not endorsed, but just verboten to argue against it?

How will this thread end? Circling the wagons and saying that one particular poster who argued against late night kango parties was wrong, but the others got away with it this time (the mods can't see every post LOL hahaha, classic eh?)?
    Locking the thread and saying that one particular poster who didn't agree with the OP giving up his time was way out of line?

A poster banned for showing up the inconsistent, illogical and petty state of the site these days?

Hmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Your desire to see Boards.ie in black and white terms, while endearing, is also somewhat frustrating.

Reducing what you just did to "We can't reference Fr. Ted" is quite simply, a selective interpretation of the facts and a complete omission of context.

I looked back over your posts for the past couple of months, not a single one of them is in PI. So it is interesting that somebody who never posts in a particular forum, contributes by referencing Fr. Ted, doesn't like when he is told it is not appropriate for that forum and then rushes off to Feedback for yet another tiresome thread on how mods/cmods/admins are oppressing the proletariat.

In fact it's getting more than tiresome, and at this stage, you really have to ask yourself is the continued pain we are obviously causing you really worth it?
    There's muppetry going on over there alright but I'm far far from worst offender.

We'll just agree to disagree on this one.

So you're saying that there are no parallels between the attitudes of Fintan Stack and some posters there? With regards to late night drilling?

Was I wrong to suggest ( as several others did) that it's NOT OK to drill walls late at night?

Or I was just wrong to suggest it in a humorous way by way of invoking one of the great Fr Ted minor characters?

How does anyone begin posting in PI if it is a "regulars only, not tonight lads" affair? Are you going to be rigidly and CONSISTENTLY applying that requirement for posting in PI? Or does it just apply to me?
    I happen to have strong opinions on ignorant neighbours, even if I often come across as flippant.

Keep digging lads, pure gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So you're saying that there are no parallels between the attitudes of Fintan Stack and some posters there? With regards to late night drilling?

Was I wrong to suggest ( as several others did) that it's NOT OK to drill walls late at night?

Or I was just wrong to suggest it in a humorous way by way of invoking one of the great Fr Ted minor characters?

How does anyone begin posting in PI if it is a "regulars only, not tonight lads" affair? Are you going to be rigidly and CONSISTENTLY applying that requirement for posting in PI? Or does it just apply to me?
    I happen to have strong opinions on ignorant neighbours, even if I often come across as flippant.

Keep digging lads, pure gold.

Again, you are neatly sidestepping the issue at hand in an effort to further your claims. Very disingenuous.

Anybody can post anywhere as long as they adhere to the charter and the ethos of the forum.

mike_ie has explained above, I don't think it can be made any clearer.

Was it the message "drilling late at night is not ok", similar to other poster's opinions? Or the delivery "to say that it is ok is as considerate and civil as fintan stack"

Was it the message "The OP should not give up his own time to help the neighbour", similar to other poster's opinions? Or the delivery - "shur why doesn't he sell stuff altogether to raise money to hire workers for the neighbour?"

If it was the delivery.... was it the apt and humorous tie-in to fr ted / fintan stack, in a thread about people drilling holes at night?????

Or is implying that a suggestion is impractical by taking it one step further along that road just not allowed on boards.ie? I don't see how my suggestion was any less realistic advice to the OP than the "go in there and help him instead of complaining" suggestion tbh!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, enough. PI has very strict posting policies, and posting Fr. Ted quotes or pictures most definitely does not fall into this category. Regardless of what anyone else posted, what you posted was neither mature nor constructive, as proscribed by the charter, and was definitely bordering on muppetry, which is not tolerated in any form in the forum. You're barely back from a month siteban for trolling, and I'm not altogether convinced that this thread isn't more of the same and doesn't deserve another ban. Your next siteban will be a much longer one, or possibly even permanent, so I would suggest that you keep your head down and stop acting the dick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement