Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane with a bump

Options
  • 05-04-2017 3:48pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have tickets for Guns & Roses in May and I'm wondering would it be a good idea to sell the tickets and sit it out?

I'll be around 6 months when it's on.

Anyone here ever go to a concert pregnant, or would you?

What are the risks if I DO go?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's not so much a question of risk, rather tiredness. It'd be a lot of walking and standing at six months pregnant, especially if getting back to the bus or car turns into an issue like it has before at Slane.

I've been to gigs pregnant, but they were indoors and one was the RDS. I got parking close by, didn't stand up at the front where it was too crowded and didn't go too​ early and left just before the end so I wasn't standing too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

xzanti wrote: »
    I have tickets for Guns & Roses in May and I'm wondering would it be a good idea to sell the tickets and sit it out?

I'll be around 6 months when it's on.

Anyone here ever go to a concert pregnant, or would you?

What are the risks if I DO go?

Cheers.

Big risk will be getting banged into by moshers, especially if its a wet day. People who go to rock/metal gigs regularly will generally have enough cop on not to be an issue and will give you a wide berth, but big gigs like slane tend to attract gobsh*tes with no sense of moshpit etiquette who ruin the gig for those around them. The support act on the day are also pretty heavy so may set a moshing tone in the crowd early in the day.

Other issue will be fatigue. A long gig in a muddy field is draining at the best of times, I'd imagine it's even worse when pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I went to Galway for the races when I was 16 weeks pregnant - the city centre streets and bars and pubs were jammers with people. I was very anxious and found it hard to enjoy myself because there were so many drunks stumbling around the place and pushing past - and i was so worried about someone banging into my bump and causing a problem. I'd imagine that a music festival would have similar problems.

Not to mention how tired you'll be, pregnancy insomnia and trying to sleep in a tent at a festival. Many people suffer with back and pelvic problems in pregnancy which would make standing difficult. Not to mention the common things like lightheadedness, heartburn and needing to pee every hour and you'd be in for a right old time of it.

I would be selling my tickets.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks for the replies :)

Well my plan was to drive and just go in for the main band and then go.. I'd be staying down the back where I can get out easily and make my escape early.

Wouldn't be camping or moshing :D just be a shame to miss it as I've always loved them and I doubt I'll get the chance again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

I'm going to be about the same when I go to Green Day in June...been googling like crazy, and the feedback is 50/50. I'm still going to go, but stay at the back, avoid people, leave early and see about finding something to sit on! Just couldn't miss the chance of seeing them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Well my plan was to drive and just go in for the main band and then go.. I'd be staying down the back where I can get out easily and make my escape early.

Wouldn't be camping or moshing :D just be a shame to miss it as I've always loved them and I doubt I'll get the chance again :o

I think you could do this. The only issue might be trying to get parking close by that late in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I think you won't know if you're able for it until the couple of weeks before hand, and if you're not, you'll offload your ticket easily enough at that stage.
    There's a lot of variables that may impact, like your general fitness, wellbeing at the time, the weather, where you position yourself, etc!
    You're right, you won't get the chance to see them again, and it would be a shame to get rid of the ticket now and feel on the day you could have gone!
    I traipsed around Australia for a month during my first pregnancy, and it didn't knock a feather out of me!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Would staying in a guesthouse/B&B within easy walking distance be an option? That way you could stay the night before, be well rested, then head in for G&R and then instead of having to battle your way through the traffic to get home, you could head back to the B&B and leave at your leisure the next morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I went to Apocalyptica at Shepherds Bush Empire at 24 weeks, hubby nixed Dream Theater at 36 weeks. I had seated tickets so it was fine for the actual gig, security were a bit heavy-handed and overly interested in the bump though!

Went to about 8 Premier League games pregnant though and absolutely no problem, even at the Emirates at 37 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

My wife and I were in NYC for 4 nights in December, she would have been around the 6 month mark at that stage.

We covered a huge amount of ground on foot and she managed fairly OK. Now come the last night she was goosed with tiredness but then again, so was I so you should be fine.

What about if you bring one of those little fold up camping chairs with you?

You aren't going to be in the pit or anything so having somewhere to rest your bones when you need it would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

I was supposed to go and see Ride in the Olympia the week before last but I cancelled because I was terrified something might happen - I would have been 6 1/2 weeks at that stage. Friends who went said I made the right decision because of the reverb. I am also raging that I will miss my all-time favourite band Duran Duran at EP. I will (hopefully) be 7 months by then and I just don't want to be in the middle of EP with a bump - I would HAVE to be up the front for DD!

It's entirely up to you, it IS possible to go to Slane, stay near the back, leave before the very end and stay safe. But you haven't a hope of getting parked near Slane, they stop you driving in from about 2km back so you will have a fair distance to walk. Also, think about your access to the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

I've got tickets for Walking on Cars in Kilmainham when I'll be 30 weeks - I couldnt decide so in the end i just bought the tickets and I'll see how I am closer to the time. Not sure how I'd feel about Slane to be honest, my main concern would be toilet access given the massive queues the last two times I was there!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks guys, I'll play it by ear and see how I feel in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

Thanks guys, I'll play it by ear and see how I feel in a few weeks :)

I think that's the right thing to do xzanti.

One of my first thoughts when I found out I was pregnant was my standing tickets for U2 in July, I'll be about 7 months. Going to make a decision closer to the time but it's more the standing and crowd aspect I'm dubious about rather than the gig itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 michieie

I'm planning on going to Slane and i'll be around 6 months too. Plan is to park here http://www.castleparkslane.com/carpark.html which says its just 100m walk to main entry.

With my last pregnancy I went to lots of gigs but none outdoors, i think keeping to the back is the best option and you can always make your escape if your not feeling well or it gets too hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

Actually I camped there for Kings of Leon & it is really close to the entrance to Slane, that would certainly minimise your walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I have tickets to a weekend event in June and will be fairly far along at that stage. I am planning on going and if I don't feel up to it I will sell my ticket closer to the time.

BUT its camping so I can sleep and relax when I need to and go see bands when I want to during day time or night :) If things get messy at night I will probably retreat to my tent but the festival I am going to is *very* laid back and generally it is not full of very drunk people falling all over the place like some venues I've been to :) One thing I am concerned about is someone falling onto my tent when I am asleep therefore I am going to stay in a ''quieter'' campsite to usual one this year :D

A big concern of mine will be to avoid certain areas using common sense...eg I won't be pushing through crowds to get to the front when looking at bands like usual! I'll avoid overly packed places (which will be fine at this festival) as it is relatively small. I would be nervous of falling and being walked on an in fairness when people are up close / drunk / excitement they will be dancing with little regard to other people's personal space which is to be expected :D I will watch and dance to bands from the back parts of the fields and have an easy escape if needed :) toilets there are usually ok too so that is a plus for me.

In regards to Slane....I would probably be more apprehensive about that as there would be a lot of walking/ waiting / standing / queuing / parking / travelling in the one day and I find I need a power nap once a day but thats just me :)

I also find day events attract a lot more people that are young and drunk so I would probably be nervous of this. One thing I will definitely be conscious of is using the correct footwear....Due to the fact I will be quite far gone I will need to make more allowances for rain / mud as my balance won't be as good as normal. I will have boots with god grips on them and wellies incase things get really bad.

I will also have plenty of my own food which is the norm for me anyway as I have allergies so can eat virtually nothing anyway:P

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Also you are right, if you love the band you may not get to see them again!
    I called the organisers of the festival I am going to so I could ask for advice on facilities / parking / camping etc and they were very helpful. Maybe if you speak to the same people they may let you park where crew park which would make life easier. Due to the fact I will be so far gone I just wanted to check these things as I don't want to have to deal with these issues on the day of arriving

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

This is a very indulgent response but if GnR are like your favourite band - would you consider getting VIP tickets? That was easy parking is sorted, lots of space, no queues etc. I think they are €250 each. Again very indulgent but just another option!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sherlof3 wrote:
    This is a very indulgent response but if GnR are like your favourite band - would you consider getting VIP tickets? That was easy parking is sorted, lots of space, no queues etc. I think they are €250 each. Again very indulgent but just another option!!!

It's an idea alright, but an expensive one, I think this is one the op may have to miss. Slane is dreadful at the best of times for the reasons outlined. Best of luck op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd highly recommend getting in to the pit, sounds mad I know but particularly at Slane it's the safest place to be. I was at the Foo Fighters gig a few years ago (not pregnant though) and got pit passes mid afternoon. We very comfortably sat down at the back of the pit when the bands weren't on, may have stayed sitting for some of the early bands :o No one is pushing past you or climbing over you, you can't guarantee that anywhere else no matter how far back you are, people will always be coming and going past you if you're out in the main area. You can come and go as you please from the pit to get yourself food, drinks and use the facilities and the biggest pro of it is you're so close to the band! Take your time leaving and 90% of the people will be gone ahead of you, if you're driving you'll be in traffic no matter what time you leave so you may as well just take it easy. The hill will be muddy so there is a risk of slipping there though.

As someone else said contact them to see if they can look after you for parking, the road closures even early afternoon were a bit of a nightmare, we were trying to get to that Castlepark place but kept hitting roadblocks, eventually dumped the car in a field that opened for parking. Enjoy the gig if you do end up going!

Advertisement