Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lens repair or cleaned

• 05-04-2017 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I know I have asked about this before but I think the problem is getting worse so am wondering is it possible to have the inside of the lens cleaned properly and repair the scratches. I had thought it was the sensor but I get it cleaned every year with Canon at Image Supply Systems but am getting worried about this lens. Its a Canon 17-40 which I use a lot for landscape. I've attached an image so that you can see the spider like lines appearing.

Can anyone recommend someone who might take a look at the lens and see if I can get it cleaned or repaired?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not scratches, that looks like it could be fluff (or fungus). you should be able to see if you take the lens off and look through it.
    usually though, that would be completely out of focus by the time the light reaches the sensor.

any variation if you point the camera at a bright wall and shoot at varying aperture?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

That looks more like a dirty sensor to me.

Have you tried with a different lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

CabanSail wrote: »
    That looks more like a dirty sensor to me.

Have you tried with a different lens?
    +1

Or that lens on a different camera body? You might as well isolate the location of the problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

jumping on this - a friend lent me a 16-35mm 2.8 - it works but it's damaged (by him). It fell over on the tripod and now wont rotate lower than about 20mm. Makes some creaking noises while rotating. Where would he get his repaired and does it sound like a big job?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might have left a flat spot on the barrel (happened me with the focus barrel on a lens once) which means the inside of the barrel is rubbing. clive out near artane fixed it for me, i think he found it was much less troublesome to file away a bit from the inside of the barrel than to try to panel beat it back into place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 TermoFix

It's fungus in your camera. Probably it's between Filter and CCD sensor so no way to clean it without taking out the sensor.

Advertisement