Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent IFSC jobs paying 100k + 20% bonus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pelicannon

Meh, become a developer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

Developing is a hamster wheel. Business Analyst or PM is a much more relaxed route. :)

Try hiring a developer with 10 years of solid experience for 100K.

"Developer" in the financial industry is very different than developer in an industry that is making some level of impact. You are correct that in financial companies it often is a hamster wheel where developers report to people that have no clue about development or software. This generally catches up with companies sooner or later though.

Are people seriously earning that much? Any other industries where 10 years experience nets you 100k+?

You can easily make this in IT straight from college with the right company, if you are good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Pelicannon wrote: »
    You can easily make this in IT straight from college with the right company, if you are good.

Not in Ireland.

Not in Ireland.

okay :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Try hiring a developer with 10 years of solid experience for 100K.

This whole thing has been done to death before Pelicannon over on the software development forum - for the rest of us mortals, if you want to make that money you do it contracting, in perm positions the vast majority won't because the salaried market rates tops out at something like 65k until you look at team lead or principle dev roles etc. So on the contrary I think it would be easy to hire a developer with 10+ years for 100k, getting the right skillset of course is another issue.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I am at VP level in IFSC fund admin company, looks like I'm going to have to have a chat with HR

dazberry wrote: »
    This whole thing has been done to death before Pelicannon over on the software development forum - for the rest of us mortals, if you want to make that money you do it contracting, in perm positions the vast majority won't because the salaried market rates tops out at something like 65k until you look at team lead or principle dev roles etc. So on the contrary I think it would be easy to hire a developer with 10+ years for 100k, getting the right skillset of course is another issue.

D.

65K is below market rate for a developer of any level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I am at VP level in IFSC fund admin company, looks like I'm going to have to have a chat with HR

What lids are you on mate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jobs OXO wrote:

What does it matter, unless you are in any way qualified to do this kind of work, which isn't exactly the vibe I'm getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fund Admin company <<<<<Asset Management though, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Heard a mate of my brother is on 100k plus chunky bonus for being a "relationship manager" (with a Vice President title )in one of the US places in the IFSC. Any idea how to get into this area? Seems well paid to say the least

Not in Ireland.

65K as a junior developer? LOL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

For anyone interested in developer salary.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057709452/1/#post102704973

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

bit extreme... very few grad developers will walk into a 65k role out of college. As somebody else mentioned this was done to death in another thread on here. But yes, senior devs should be well able to make 100k within 10yrs.

Not in Ireland.

65K as a junior developer? LOL!!!

Perhaps at a financial company / non tech company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Care to maybe site some sources for that? Payscale puts the average at 38,500, and that is average, not entry level. That's just one source tho, so they could be off, but to be off by that degree would be surprising.

I agree that a savvy developer can easily net more than that, but it's pretty tough to crack the 50k mark straight in the door without moving into a role with at least some leadership responsibilities.

Jobs OXO wrote: »

90K, including bonus

For anyone interested in developer salary.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057709452/1/#post102704973

That's misleading though - and probably accounts for someone who wants an easy life implementing fixes for an enterprise code base run by Monkeys. Find me a developer that accepted 65K in FB, Airbnb or any other tech company within a short distance of IFSC.

But yes, point taken - its been done to death for sure. I just thought it was an interesting point as the Op seemed to only really be interested in the money side.

The other roles mentioned certainly sound like they have their challenges and seem to deserve higher pay - thats what confuses me. These roles also seem to rely on the success of a large company rather than aptitude, ability and results delivered. But I wouldn't know.

• Advertisement

Care to maybe site some sources for that? Payscale puts the average at 38,500, and that is average, not entry level. That's just one source tho, so they could be off, but to be off by that degree would be surprising.

I agree that a savvy developer can easily net more than that, but it's pretty tough to crack the 50k mark straight in the door without moving into a role with at least some leadership responsibilities.

Payscale is not the real world - developer is only a term to describe a large subset of the IT industry. If you mean "developer" by working on enterprise software that is (for the most part trivial and drains every ounce of life, happiness and motivation out of you) then yes, starting at 50K sounds about right with little to no room for growth because the company doesn't do software.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Fund Admin company <<<<<Asset Management though, to be fair.

oh are we only talking about AM?

What does relaxed route mean in this context?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

120k full package is not standard or anywhere near it from my experience, unless you are directly bringing in revenue via sales, especially on the fund admin side.

From 2008 to 2013 the market was pretty much frozen; payrises stopped, jobs dried up and some people took pay cuts at senior levels. Some might have made that gap up since, but its certainly not the rule. I got a good move into an asset manager a few years back but on my old team of relationship managers for a fund administrator, Id be surprised if anyone was miles above 70-80k basic.

120k full package is not standard or anywhere near it from my experience, unless you are directly bringing in revenue via sales, especially on the fund admin side.

From 2008 to 2013 the market was pretty much frozen; payrises stopped, jobs dried up and some people took pay cuts at senior levels. Some might have made that gap up since, but its certainly not the rule. I got a good move into an asset manager a few years back but on my old team of relationship managers for a fund administrator, Id be surprised if anyone was miles above 70-80k basic.

What sort of package would someone typically be looking at in such position - at the pinnacle of their career?

Payscale is not the real world - developer is only a term to describe a large subset of the IT industry. If you mean "developer" by working on enterprise software that is (for the most part trivial and drains every ounce of life, happiness and motivation out of you) then yes, starting at 50K sounds about right with little to no room for growth because the company doesn't do software.

So that's a no on those sources then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

What sort of package would someone typically be looking at in such position - at the pinnacle of their career?

Is 10 years FA / RM experience the pinnacle of someones career though? I hope not in my case!

To answer your question, Ive spoken to a couple of recruiters on a broad level recently, and both felt that 80-90k basic was top end for VP level, youd possibly be looking at the lower end of that bracket.

Im not denying the OPs story - good luck to anyone earning that much but from my experience, speaking to colleagues at that level and recruiters hiring at that level, jobs with that salary at the level we are discussing are the exception rather than the rule.

So that's a no on those sources then?

well unless I'm to post a pay stub. you are welcome for lunch to review if it's something that makes that much difference to you :)

Is 10 years FA / RM experience the pinnacle of someones career though? I hope not in my case!

To answer your question, Ive spoken to a couple of recruiters on a broad level recently, and both felt that 80-90k basic was top end for VP level, youd possibly be looking at the lower end of that bracket.

Im not denying the OPs story - good luck to anyone earning that much but from my experience, speaking to colleagues at that level and recruiters hiring at that level, jobs with that salary at the level we are discussing are the exception rather than the rule.

Considering my lack of knowledge in the sector, I probably could have asked the better question of career path rather than particular position. Thanks though, food for thought. I suppose it will always vary across companies, individuals and the economic climate too.

• Advertisement

well unless I'm to post a pay stub. you are welcome for lunch to review if it's something that makes that much difference to you :)

One persons pay is not an average. I'm not in Ireland anymore, but my salary where I am is currently an outlier on the higher end, but since I have at least a basic grasp of maths and how averages work it would be silly to state that what I earn is average.

Advertisement