Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

childminding cost

Options
  • 05-04-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Is 83 euro for 8am to 2.30pm for 2 kids in childminders own home very expensive? I supply all food.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Depends where you live?
    €8 an hour by 6.5 hours plus €4 for second child is €78 , normal for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Is 83 euro for 8am to 2.30pm for 2 kids in childminders own home very expensive? I supply all food.

Sounds outrageous to me.Is it cash in hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Op is it 83 per week or per day. What ages are the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

if thats €83 per week , why would anyone be arsed.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    if thats €83 per week , why would anyone be arsed.

I presumed it's per day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

It is 83 euro per day. Kids are 3.5 and 16 months. I really like the woman and kids are very happy there. Im afraid to look elsewhere as could get someone cheaper and kids not as happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It is 83 euro per day. Kids are 3.5 and 16 months. I really like the woman and kids are very happy there. Im afraid to look elsewhere as could get someone cheaper and kids not as happy.

Is she registered and insured?

Colser wrote: »
    I presumed it's per day..

€415 a week wouldn't be bad.

If the kids are happy, no way would i be looking to change.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Is she registered and insured?
    No, neither

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    If the kids are happy, no way would i be looking to change.
    Ive never had any issues with her. I know she looks after them so well. And the kids wave me off. So the peace of mind is great. Its still a lot of money but I keep reminding myself that they're the most precious thing I own(well not own but ye know what I mean)

Does she mind other children as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No, neither

I wouldn't be leaving my kids then. No one in her house has been police vetted. The rate she's charging seems irrelevant to me

Does she mind other children as well?
    No, she has 2 kids herself. So they all play together.

No, she has 2 kids herself. So they all play together.

It's a difficult one...on the one hand the children are happy and that's a huge bonus but I think thats very expensive for pretty short hours.if you can comfortably afford it fair enough but it's a big chunk out of an average when she has no overheads and doesn't even feed them.

It's a difficult one...on the one hand the children are happy and that's a huge bonus but I think thats very expensive for pretty short hours.if you can comfortably afford it fair enough but it's a big chunk out of an average when she has no overheads and doesn't even feed them.

Thats exactly it. Its only 2 days per week. But I only work 3 days.
    its tight financially but I just have to weigh it all up. The grannys used to do the childminding when it was just one and I use to be driving off with her screaming crying. It was terrible. And that was free!!

Thats exactly it. Its only 2 days per week. But I only work 3 days.
    its tight financially but I just have to weigh it all up. The grannys used to do the childminding when it was just one and I use to be driving off with her screaming crying. It was terrible. And that was free!!
    It's very expensive imo..my friend pays 60e for full hours ,lady comes into the house and does ALL the housework .You could suck it up and look at it as temporary until they start school but I have to say that she's doing VERY well out of it.In saying that it's a very difficult job but yours probably provide company for her two also.

Would you try and negotiate?

It's very expensive imo..my friend pays 60e for full hours ,lady comes into the house and does ALL the housework .You could suck it up and look at it as temporary until they start school but I have to say that she's doing VERY well out of it.In saying that it's a very difficult job but yours probably provide company for her two also.

Would you try and negotiate?

we're a few months in so a bit late to negotiate.
    Its just so upsetting to be handing over so much money to have someone else mind my kids when I dont take much more than that home in pay.
    but I know theres thousands of us out there.

we're a few months in so a bit late to negotiate.
    Its just so upsetting to be handing over so much money to have someone else mind my kids when I dont take much more than that home in pay.
    but I know theres thousands of us out there.

I'd feel the same tbh..I'd be thinking 50e a day would be very fair for those hours.Would you advertise for someone to come to the house..2 short days for 100e and no housework?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

I guess it all depends on where you are I guess. I'm paying €32 /day 8am to 6pm..(2 year old) and €14 / day 2pm 6pm ( 6 year old). For the local private creche ..food included.

• Advertisement

I'd feel the same tbh..I'd be thinking 50e a day would be very fair for those hours.Would you advertise for someone to come to the house..2 short days for 100e and no housework?
    I wouldnt really want anyone in my house to be honest.
    We're half thinking of my husband giving up work and becoming a stay at home dad. Just until they both get into school.

I wouldnt really want anyone in my house to be honest.
    We're half thinking of my husband giving up work and becoming a stay at home dad. Just until they both get into school.

It's a big decision...could he go part time?
    Advertise for someone to do it in their own house for 100e?I feel you'd have plenty of interest..maybe ask around,I'd prefer a personal recommendation when it comes to child minding.

It's a big decision...could he go part time?
    Advertise for someone to do it in their own house for 100e?I feel you'd have plenty of interest..maybe ask around,I'd prefer a personal recommendation when it comes to child minding.
    unfortunately part time not an option. theres other factors to him giving up his job but the childminding situation is adding to it.
    I suppose I was just looking to vent. Working when having small kids is such an emotional juggling act.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is very high , I would expect her to be qualified ,insured and registered.
    I re-read ,She should supply all the food at that price .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

For those hours and no food supply....it's pricey.I know people with kids three days in minders,80eur a day 8-6.I pay 60eur a day for two and the food is a loose arrangement....I supply out of habit but she adds to it, or will let me know if she has dinner for them, which is usually at least a couple of times a week.

That said a good minder is worth their absolute weight in gold.Have you tried suggesting that she supply food?or a small discount for two/shorter hours?Finally if it comes to it you could have a chat and tell her you are considering one of you dropping work because you are finding the childcare pricey (in a nice way) and see if she suggests anything.

If you can't get anything from her after that then i guess it's up to personal choice.you could look at it from how long it will be til the older starts school of some sort too, and see if she would do you a deal then and can you hang on that long.that sort of thing.To be honest if you're happy with her, the last option I'd go for would be to move away from her, I'd explore all avenues first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's very expensive for those hours. I'm a registered, qualified, insured, garda cleared etc childminder and wouldn't charge that for longer days. I supply all the food too.

thanks for the replies everyone.
    we have decided that my husband will become a stay at home dad. the childminding cost isn't the only issue for him giving up work but it definitely is adding to it. when he goes back to work I will definitely learn to negotiate more. I was so stressed about finding a minder and the kids love going to her and she is very good to them, I sorta left the money thing slide. but im probably being taken advantage of.

Advertisement