Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adequate notice period

Options
  • 05-04-2017 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I have a fixed term lease with my tenants which ends February 2018. I intend to put the house up for sale when their lease ends. How much notice do I need to give the tenants? I couldn't find this info on the prtb website. They moved into the house in February 2015 and asked for a 2 year lease in February 2016, which I gave to them. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I have a fixed term lease with my tenants which ends February 2018. I intend to put the house up for sale when their lease ends. How much notice do I need to give the tenants? I couldn't find this info on the prtb website. They moved into the house in February 2015 and asked for a 2 year lease in February 2016, which I gave to them. Thanks.

84 days if they will be there greater than 3 and less than 4. The rtb website gives the template notice required including the solicitor declaration of your intending to sell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

84 days if they will be there greater than 3 and less than 4. The rtb website gives the template notice required including the solicitor declaration of your intending to sell.

There is a view in the RTB that a notice can't be served during the currency of a fixed terms lease. The o/p will have to wait until the lease end, serve notice and then off to the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

4ensic15 wrote: »
    There is a view in the RTB that a notice can't be served during the currency of a fixed terms lease. The o/p will have to wait until the lease end, serve notice and then off to the RTB.

Right okay, so I'd need to wait until the date the tenancy ends and then serve the notice, giving them 84 days to vacate? Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Right okay, so I'd need to wait until the date the tenancy ends and then serve the notice, giving them 84 days to vacate? Thanks for the help.

Yes that's my understanding. That's why I mentioned greater than 3 years as it will be based on how long they are there at end of the fixed term.

Also you must have intention to sell within 3 months of the tenant leaving. If you fail to sell and decide to rerent you must offer the property back to that tenant.

Advertisement