Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Older People in Accountancy

• 05-04-2017 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I currently work with a member of the "Baby Boomer"generation.
    I have been working in accountancy for over 5 years.
    I have rarely come across people of my colleagues' age.

I attribute this to the change in Ireland's economy since the early 90s.
    There were less multinationals based here and thus, there was a lesser requirement for accountants.

I still find it unusual that I have not encountered more "experienced" people in my career to-date.

Does anyone else note the same?

Comments

I used to work in a long established multinational which had many accountants - mostly younger. I gather that many of the earlier accountants (the missing older accountants) had moved out of accountancy into general management, project management, IT, quality, early retirement, sales, consultancy, abroad etc..

I also worked for the same company abroad and the age distribution seemed more normal.

I don't know if the movement out still happens as much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Kev1001 wrote: »
    I currently work with a member of the "Baby Boomer"generation.
    I have been working in accountancy for over 5 years.
    I have rarely come across people of my colleagues' age.

I attribute this to the change in Ireland's economy since the early 90s.
    There were less multinationals based here and thus, there was a lesser requirement for accountants.

I still find it unusual that I have not encountered more "experienced" people in my career to-date.

Does anyone else note the same?

When you have more experience, you will see a few more such people in different roles- they are happy at what they are doing, earn a comfortable enough living and have no desire to move on. They are lucky to have found a work life balance that suits them.

On the other hand for the majority of professional accountants it is just a starting point and outside of practice most take up very different roles that often have little to do with accounting - a sheep farmer in North Donegal, a professional fiddle player in a trad band regularly touring Europe and myself, someone who tinkers around with computer hardware for a living.

While most do, not everyone, followings the usual path.

Advertisement