Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PWC Salary

• 05-04-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any ideas what the salary is for a graduate with MA in Accounting so full Cap 1 & 2 exemptions. I know it;s 24,000 (or about that) for graduates coming out of a degree with Cap 1.

Also will a MA more less guarantee you a job with the big 4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

Not sure about PWC but some other big 4's don't pay anything extra for having the masters (usually because they paid for the masters) .

Having a masters should definitely help with getting a big 4 job, anything that indicates you'll likely get through the professional exams first time will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

TG860 wrote: »
    Not sure about PWC but some other big 4's don't pay anything extra for having the masters (usually because they paid for the masters) .

Having a masters should definitely help with getting a big 4 job, anything that indicates you'll likely get through the professional exams first time will help.

Thanks

Not for me but person who is inquiring did a very bad leaving cert and because of that they have just been consistently rejected so they are going to do a masters.

I think I did hear that the company may reimburse some of your masters fees, not sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks

Not for me but person who is inquiring did a very bad leaving cert and because of that they have just been consistently rejected so they are going to do a masters.

I think I did hear that the company may reimburse some of your masters fees, not sure though.

A company will pay masters fees if they hire you before the masters to do the masters.

Last I checked there was two of the big 4 firms refusing everyone who didn't have a set pts for leaving cert even if you had a masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A company will pay masters fees if they hire you before the masters to do the masters.

Last I checkedon't there was two of the big 4 firms refusing everyone who didn't have a set pts for leaving cert even if you had a masters.

Want to say the firms or even PM them?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Want to say the firms or even PM them?

http://www.ey.com/ie/en/careers/students/your-role-here/insight-day

Can't remember the other. It's been a few years since I did milk round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I think it depends what department you're in but this year in the big four firm I work for it was 24/25000 for someone who has a MAcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Last I checked there was two of the big 4 firms refusing everyone who didn't have a set pts for leaving cert even if you had a masters.

Probably better avoiding company that has such a fixation on LC results.
    (not saying they're entirely unimportant either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Probably better avoiding company that has such a fixation on LC results.
    (not saying they're entirely unimportant either)

Yeah I've a 2:1 in Business from DCU specializing in Finance but did ****e on the LC and had to do a PLC - means nothing in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Yeah I've a 2:1 in Business from DCU specializing in Finance but did ****e on the LC and had to do a PLC - means nothing in the long run.

Fair play to you.

The LC score was simply a filter, however, I understand they are finding it tough enough to get suitable graduates.

If an applicant got a good Macc then I'd say they would have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

PWC starting salary is 24k and 25k with a masters. It's the same for all the big 4.p starting off. I think audit are on 23k. But these were the rates we started on last year new graduates this year might be offered more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

I randomly stumbled into this thread and just want to say anyone with a masters only getting €24k is a farce. I know big money comes later and everyone has to start somewhere blah blah but that is pure opportunism from the big 4 taking advantage of grads to squeeze all the value out of them.

Anyways don't even work in accounting and I know people end up on good money in the end but still, what a shaft.....

jbdub wrote: »
    I randomly stumbled into this thread and just want to say anyone with a masters only getting €24k is a farce. I know big money comes later and everyone has to start somewhere blah blah but that is pure opportunism from the big 4 taking advantage of grads to squeeze all the value out of them.

Anyways don't even work in accounting and I know people end up on good money in the end but still, what a shaft.....

2 months off for study leave, qualificatoon exams paid for, masters dosent mean qualification etc.

I know it sucks but its the way it is.

jbdub wrote: »

How much does the university pay you to attend for the masters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

The university isn't selling your project work for 100 euro an hour.....

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

With regards to leaving cert requirements in order to gain a position within one of the big 4, is there a minimum math requirement? For example, would a B at ordinary level cert math suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

With regards to leaving cert requirements in order to gain a position within one of the big 4, is there a minimum math requirement? For example, would a B at ordinary level cert math suffice?

EY were looking for 400 or 425 when I looked. I got 200 or something, but like I say, still ended up with a 2:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

EY were looking for 400 or 425 when I looked. I got 200 or something, but like I say, still ended up with a 2:1.

So they don't have a specific maths requirement? I would have enough points by only received a B in ordinary level math. Would that hinder by chances of getting on one of their graduate programmes?

The university isn't selling your project work for 100 euro an hour.....

No, they get thousands for you to attend. You're willing to pay that to get a piece of paper.

Get a few years training in a big 4 and it'll be a far far better investment. So much so the supply far exceeds the demand. AND they'll pay you approx 24k. If you cannot see the bigger picture, that's grand.

Plenty others will, so don't feel the slightest bit sorry for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

No, they get thousands for you to attend. You're willing to pay that to get a piece of paper.

Get a few years training in a big 4 and it'll be a far far better investment. So much so the supply far exceeds the demand. AND they'll pay you approx 24k. If you cannot see the bigger picture, that's grand.

Plenty others will, so don't feel the slightest bit sorry for them.

As someone who had about 6/ 7 years in a big 4 I'm not sure where your getting this supply demand stuff.

Trainee accountant salaries have not moved up in about 10 years. Qualified ones have in real terms fallen.

Software is increasingly able to do a lot of the grunt work and audit is not really that profitable any more. Jobs are starting to be outsourced (closure of shared services centres) and the first small practices offering outsourced accountancy services are opening.

It's a profession about to begin a long transition to reduced numbers I think. This ol chestnut of earning collosal margins on the work of unqualified staff with the understanding that you get a stamp of quality at the end which should get you a decent job for life is very much under threat.

You pay for education as they don't sell your output. These firms do and you should be rewarded for your efforts. You get time off but you more than cover that in overtime and I'm sure the fees paid are tax deductible for all firms. All in an environment where this sacrifice may not actually pay off in 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 17006587

Sorry to jump in mid-thread, I'm considering a career in capital allowances and am curious about the salary. I'm on Placement with a Quantity Surveying Consultancy for the next year and graduate with a QS degree May 2019. Does anyone have an idea of the grad. salary for Capital Allowances and what it would be after a few years of experience and ATT exams?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hello Nika,

With respect, I'd say you spent approx 3/4 years too long in practice. Not everyone is going to do well, but the average salary for a chartered accountant (per CAI) is above €100k.

Maybe you are right about the way the industry is going. Personally, I'm jumping ship and taking on a General Manager role.

1700.... what is a career in capital allowances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Avatar, do you really believe the Leinster society of Chartered Accountants on that salary?

myshirt wrote: »
    Avatar, do you really believe the Leinster society of Chartered Accountants on that salary?

No, but shush ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

We used to joke about inflating our salaries to up the average for the published salaries (all helps in negotiations). Not that I'm saying anyone ever actually did such a thing.

Having said that I'd expect to be on almost 100k after 7 years in a big 4 firm, or have had it made clear to me that i wasn't going to be getting promotions and that i should look elsewhere.

Trainee salaries are rubbish (about 1k higher starting for masters if i remember rightly) but everyone knows that, and you either move on to a good job after training or stay and are well rewarded if you reach higher management.

There's a time to learn and a time to earn.

Choc Chip wrote: »

... I'd expect to be on almost 100k after 7 years in a big 4 firm, or have had it made clear to me that i wasn't going to be getting promotions and that i should look elsewhere.

You mean post qualified yeah?

If so, I agree. In practice, you either get promoted each year/two years, or you move on. It is not set up for a long term sustainable wage for someone who wants to kick back and stay at Senior. The model is you get staff to at least 180 of a charge out rate, and keep a rolling stock of the lower grade staff. That's the deal, and I like it. You get in, you get your experience, and then you get out and release that sweat equity. It's a great career.

No, but shush ;)

In saying that though, an accountant is in the wrong job if they can't negotiate a package. We should all be able to do it.

In any event, we all know the salaries are overstated in that report. It's no fault of the guys, nothing sinister here or anything, it's just the methodology and the low volume of data. The report gives a flavour if anything. I wouldn't sleep with it under my pillow.

My own sense of things is that the baseline out there is about 70k, and the world is your oyster after that. If you're good, you'll get more, and some do, but certainly believe 70k is not an insurmountable figure for any Accountant after that length of time. Very achievable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Nope, I'm including training years in there (and to be fair, I'm also including the highest level of bonus).

If you go quickly through the promotion structure you'll be near enough to 100k after 7yrs. Very few will actually go through that quickly though, and the ones that don't will likely be out in better-paid jobs in industry much earlier, so it depends on what people want from their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

This is probably a ridiculous question but what would one of the Big Fours (or even top 10) policy be on taking on trainees that have completed their exams but have no yet got the required experience.

I'm doing the FAEs at the moment and hope to be done in August. I'm happy in my current role and get paid more than a fair wage but I'd love to work in a big four company and get the exposure/training/experience that that would afford. I'd be happy to start off again at the bottom of the ladder if it meant a higher return in later years.

I'm in industry at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

This is probably a ridiculous question but what would one of the Big Fours (or even top 10) policy be on taking on trainees that have completed their exams but have no yet got the required experience.

I'm doing the FAEs at the moment and hope to be done in August. I'm happy in my current role and get paid more than a fair wage but I'd love to work in a big four company and get the exposure/training/experience that that would afford. I'd be happy to start off again at the bottom of the ladder if it meant a higher return in later years.

I'm in industry at the moment.

What does an FAE candidate get in industry get to be more than fair? 35k?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

doc22 wrote: »
    What does an FAE candidate get in industry get to be more than fair? 35k?

I suppose it depends on your expectations but you wouldn't be far off the mark there. A little more if you take into account the fact they're paying for my exams and the fact that I'm based in the North West (where your buck goes a bit further)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Nope, I'm including training years in there (and to be fair, I'm also including the highest level of bonus).

If you go quickly through the promotion structure you'll be near enough to 100k after 7yrs. Very few will actually go through that quickly though, and the ones that don't will likely be out in better-paid jobs in industry much earlier, so it depends on what people want from their career.

A senior manager in B4 will be on about 75K, their bonus might bring them up to 90K.

But do you go to Senior Manager in 3.5 years PQE?

I've known one or two people who did, but its definitely not standard, people can stay at AM for 2-2.5 years. And not bad people.

Advertisement