Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting increase in a shared house

Options
  • 05-04-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

My landlord gave me 1 month notice (May 2017) for a rent increase of 6% after an increased of 2% last September (2016). I am renting a en-suite room in a "pressure zone" (since September 2013), all bills included, in a shared house where each tenant has their own contract. Known that the max increase allowed is 4% and the 24 months between increases once I am just renting a room, do this rules not apply?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Yanson wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My landlord gave me 1 month notice (May 2017) for a rent increase of 6% after an increased of 2% last September (2016). I am renting a en-suite room in a "pressure zone" (since September 2013), all bills included, in a shared house where each tenant has their own contract. Known that the max increase allowed is 4% and the 24 months between increases once I am just renting a room, do this rules not apply?

Thank you
    Is the landlord or owner also living in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Yanson

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

No

Then the rules apply to you (unless there is a member of ll's family living there).

Talk to the LL/Threshold, lodge a case with the RTB in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FinanceDublin

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Sounds like LL is trying to work within the rules and has misinterpreted them a bit tbf. Assert your rights for sure, but do it in a decent way, as on this read it doesn't sound like they were doing anything beyond thinking "4% per year is the cap", which I've heard many say.

Advertisement