Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young provisional driver insurance

Options
  • 05-04-2017 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all,

My partners son has just passed his theory test and wants to start driving, but the quotes we are getting on a 1.4 petrol 04 Bora are up on 6 and 7 grand, any tips on how to get the cheapest possible insurance?

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SureWhyNotNow

I've tried back when I had my provisional at 17 and the cheapest quotes I got from my local broker were 4300 on a 1.0l Yaris, MY2016.

With my full license 3200 on the same car was the best (only) quote I could get. Other cars that I got for that same price were new Twingo, Suzuki Swift and Mitusbishi mirage.

Best for him to curb his enthusiasm. Can't say if going for a full is worth it, ended up as a 400 euro plastic card to get into the pub for me

a 100-125cc moped might be an option if you really need transport. One of my mates are paying 400 a year for his and he's 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

What age is he and does he having previous driving experience at all?

It's not just about the car and I cannot understand why people can't or won't see that.

OP his best bet starting off is to go as a Named Driver on his Father's or your own car if possible and build up Named Driving Experience that way.

If he does this for a year or two, combined with being a few years older, he will notice his prices dropping somewhat. He should also look to getting his Full Licence asap. That said even with all that he would probably still be looking in the region of €2500 - €3500.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Is the Bora his own car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Well, I'm working on a quote for my niece. 19, learners permit '11 Kia 1 litre. Looking at €3,500, so you can tell it will be more than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hunter101

Sorry for not saying in the original post, he's 19, no lessons or experience either and just passed the theory test last week.

P.S. He also owns the car himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Try adding a parent to the policy, for most companies it will bring the quote down

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Try adding a parent to the policy, for most companies it will bring the quote down

That's the only thing I can think of too. Obviously the age of the car is a factor too but there is nothing he can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It doesn't have to be a Parent...or even a relative.
    Anybody with their own Car (and insurance) aged between 25/30 and 60 with a clean licence brings down the Premium with 'most' Insurers when added as a named Driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be a Parent...or even a relative.
    Anybody with their own Car (and insurance) aged between 25/30 and 60 with a clean licence brings down the Premium with 'most' Insurers when added as a named Driver.

My lad is turning 17 and looking to get onto my insurance. I'm with aviva, and they do a 'deal' for 500e. Includes 13 lessons, but m I re important it includes 6 months ("free") insurance on my car. Don't think it's limited to just aviva policy holders. Might not suit, but might be an option, especially if he can pass his test before having to renew again. AFAIK you need to take 12 lessons to be allowed take the test anymore anyway.

Advertisement