Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas - Lucan Line

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

lxflyer wrote: »
    None of those areas are suitable for on-street rail infrastructure - the road space simply isn't there.

As someone who lives in those areas I believe what you mean is that keeping all the roads open for cars as well isn't possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

van_beano wrote: »
    Why would it be pointless going beyond Liffey Valley? There's a massive population in South Lucan and there's further development in the pipeline in Kishogue / Clonburris. The population will be comparable to the Red Line beyond The Square with all that's in Citywest etc. or Green Line before Carrickmines.

i'd settle for Kishoge finally opening tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

SPDUB wrote: »
    As someone who lives in those areas I believe what you mean is that keeping all the roads open for cars as well isn't possible

It's both - there are limits to the restrictions that you can put on private vehicles in the suburbs.

But there are plenty of roads within those areas that don't have enough road space for a bus lane and a general traffic lane in both directions.

On-street rail is not the solution in those areas.

Underground is the only proper solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Did a walk yesterday to Lucan via Ballyfermot... i dont know if theres room for the tracks through the village - can anyone get crayons out and point out how it would go through said place

Did a walk yesterday to Lucan via Ballyfermot... i dont know if theres room for the tracks through the village - can anyone get crayons out and point out how it would go through said place

Lucan Village or Ballyfermot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Lucan Village or Ballyfermot?

Ballyfermot

Narrowing of footpaths and carparks for one. Plus the trams will share road space with other traffic. Personally I think it's It's unlikely to happen.

Central median of the N4 would be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It'd almost certainly have to be shared with cars if it was above ground, which would be a mistake.

I'd agree the N4 median would be a better physical route, but it has the problem of being rather inaccessible to pedestrians, so it might be difficult to add stations on it.

I still think it's a good idea as a route though, lots of areas along it ripe for residential development, and most of the areas are largely unserved by rail (though Ballyfermot would definitely benefit from DART Line 2)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'd agree the N4 median would be a better physical route, but it has the problem of being rather inaccessible to pedestrians, so it might be difficult to add stations on it.

What median? That one-metre concrete barrier?
    The N4 has bus lanes both ways as far as Islandbridge. Turn it into a rapid bus corridor. No need for Luas.

Run the Luas somewhere else. I'd start it at Liffey Valley and follow Patrick St/Cuffe St to terminate at Stephen's Green South as another poster suggested.

In any case I really don't think this project should be a priority.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    The N4 has bus lanes both ways as far as Islandbridge. Turn it into a rapid bus corridor. No need for Luas.

Run the Luas somewhere else. I'd start it at Liffey Valley and follow Patrick St/Cuffe St to terminate at Stephen's Green South as another poster suggested.

IMO we shouldn't be running Luas lines outside the M50. At that distance their speed makes them less effective. A greater level of segregation is required over that kind of distance to provide decent journey times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dargan Bridge

marno21 wrote: »
    IMO we shouldn't be running Luas lines outside the M50. At that distance their speed makes them less effective. A greater level of segregation is required over that kind of distance to provide decent journey times.

In that case the Lucan Luas needs to be a proper Metro. Because there's a hell of a lot of people in Lucan who need a better public transport option than what is on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In that case the Lucan Luas needs to be a proper Metro. Because there's a hell of a lot of people in Lucan who need a better public transport option than what is on offer.

Ummm, DART Underground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

spacetweek wrote: »

Proof then that the QBC concept was a load of phooey. Buses can't generate a critical mass of trips away from private cars, no matter how they are tarted up by marketeers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Proof then that the QBC concept was a load of phooey. Buses can't generate a critical mass of trips away from private cars, no matter how they are tarted up by marketeers.

Actually the 46A route achieves similar levels of patronage as the Luas green line and bus stop catchment along the N11 corridor has been found to match that of light rail stops (1km vs 500m)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

AngryLips wrote: »
    Actually the 46A route achieves similar levels of patronage as the Luas green line and bus stop catchment along the N11 corridor has been found to match that of light rail stops (1km vs 500m)

Source - and is the journey time end to end on a wet winter evening comparable with a mid afternoon one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Who cares? You're comparing two completely different routes. I'm just pointing out that your claim that QBCs cannot attract the same critical mass of trips to be complete BS when the 46A route does just that.

Advertisement