Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first bike, which 600?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Goose81

If you have a provisional you won't get insured on a 600cc sportsbike so maybe that will help narrow it a bit.

Bandits are brilliant to learn on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ah sorry, I should have specified. I drove a 125 and then a 250 some 17-18 years ago on a provisional licence, which has since expired.

After talking to a few different insurance companies they've all said the price of insuring a 600 compared to a 125 is essentially the same.

Apologies I thought you were a green horn. That experience is worth a lot though the insurance companies won't give you credit for it. And perhaps you have years of driving experience in between too. We're captive to a cartel. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

You "drive" a car.

BUT

You "ride" a bike.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Goose81 wrote: »
    If you have a provisional you won't get insured on a 600cc sportsbike so maybe that will help narrow it a bit.

Bandits are brilliant to learn on.

Bandits are fantastic. I've spoken to a few insurance companies who can insure me on a few 600cc bikes, but they all said to stay away from any R model which they can't insure me on.

Trying to shop around on a good cruiser bike, but from looking on Adverts and DoneDeal it seems it's either a 125cc Keeway or Suzuki for about €1200 and then jumping up to €10,000 for a Harley.

As much as I'd love a Harley, I'm fairly sure my OH with leave me.
    Korat wrote: »
    Apologies I thought you were a green horn. That experience is worth a lot though the insurance companies won't give you credit for it. And perhaps you have years of driving experience in between too. We're captive to a cartel. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's a bit of a joke alright. I rode a bike for 3-4 years and now I have to re-do all the lessons and the prices on the IBT are insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I rode a bike for 3-4 years and now I have to re-do all the lessons and the prices on the IBT are insane.
    Look at it more positively. IBT instructors often do advanced training which we all could benefit from. You have to do your hours, but if you find an instructor in a quiet period (I did) you can get the whole thing done 1-1, and spend the time learning more advanced skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Lumen wrote: »
    Look at it more positively. IBT instructors often do advanced training which we all could benefit from. You have to do your hours, but if you find an instructor in a quiet period (I did) you can get the whole thing done 1-1, and spend the time learning more advanced skills.

This might sound a bit silly but riders should be encouraged to engage in training at regular intervals even after they gain their full licence. This is the silly bit, by passing more rigorous tests you gain 'prestiges' (I'm not 12, I just can't think of a more appropriate merit system) which should then translate to cheaper insurance and more importantly not dying. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You "drive" a car.

BUT

You "ride" a bike.;)

Thank **** you didnt say you Pilot a bike. I would of had to drive to dublin and slap you... :D

Jesus christ i did inside when i see some idiot type "Sum Pilot that lads is"... STFU... he isnt a pilot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Korat wrote: »
    This might sound a bit silly but riders should be encouraged to engage in training at regular intervals even after they gain their full licence. This is the silly bit, by passing more rigorous tests you gain 'prestiges' (I'm not 12, I just can't think of a more appropriate merit system) which should then translate to cheaper insurance and more importantly not dying. :)
    Insurance skill assessments are actually a thing, and you can do them on your IBT. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lumen wrote: »

That's all fair stuff. I guess it's the old grouch in me that has the problem with it.

But looking back on it I did do a few courses over the years on the bike to make sure I was always doing good. I've actually gone with the instructor who gave me my lessons all those years ago.

Don't suppose anyone has some suggestions for bikes?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you want a cruiser, then you can go for a bigger engine. A 650cc cruiser is going to feel underpowered with all that excess weight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement