Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on House

Options
  • 05-04-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I hope this is in the right area, apologies if not.
    I need house insurance to drawdown a mortgage but insurance companies don't appear to want to provide a certificate until it is occupied.
    How have people overcome this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭wench

They can provide you a letter stating that cover is arranged and the mortgage provider's interest is noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭itsthisyear

Thanks for replying. Two companies that I rang said they wouldn't be able to do it. I thought it was strange because then you would have no one drawing down mortgages.
    I'll keep on my search, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Ah that's bs! How about taking insurance through your mortgage provider? You can always change after a year if you find a better offer (which you most likely will)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Should be fairly standard process. Until you move it, they will only provide fire cover, but once you tell them the insurance is part of an mortgage application they usually happy to send letter to bank to make them aware of the policy.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭itsthisyear

You'd imagine it would be. I think I'll do as Hani suggested and just go with mortgage provider for the first year.
    Nothing about this process is easy. It's like a hurdle is thrown at you at each step.

• Advertisement
Advertisement