Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty scored, free out

• 05-04-2017 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

This just happened at Newcastle. Penalty converted by Matt Richie. Ref gives a free out,no goal.

Has anyone ever see something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nope but I'm following it on Twitter and no one has a ****ing clue what's going on or why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Seems to have disallowed it for encroachment but should have made him retake it.
    Seems to be a fundamental mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ok, so it appears a Newcastle player was inside the box when the penalty was taken. The referee gave a free out for it rather than a retake like the rules say it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Nope but I'm following it on Twitter and no one has a ****ing clue what's going on or why!

BBC Newcastle and thier counterparts no idea, just looked at fifa guidelines, no provision for anything other than retake

Standard of refereeing in pathetic.

3 mins added time. There was a 5 to 10 min delay restarting after the incident.

Unbelievable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Watching soccer special on sky. Seems referees everywhere are having a mare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Quick question; why do lots of folk on here say "free out"? That's a GAA term for me. It's "free kick". And I know it's not just you OP; I'm not picking on you!

blueser wrote: »
    Quick question; why do lots of folk on here say "free out"? That's a GAA term for me. It's "free kick". And I know it's not just you OP; I'm not picking on you!

Used to differentiate between attacking and defending fk in this case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Bizarre decision to say the least but what the hell was the encroacher doing? He was nearly overtaking the penalty taker

• Advertisement

Free given for foul by gayle before the penalty was taken apparently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Wasn't there a world cup qualifier ages ago that was forced to be replayed after the referee made the same mistake?
    Such a basic mistake for a referee to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

M5 wrote: »
    Free given for foul by gayle before the penalty was taken apparently.

Does the ball not have to be in play in that case?

Actually looking at that video posted no Newcastle player is near an opposition player to make a foul

https://twitter.com/NewcastleFansTV/status/849705876063649792

Piss take altogether, alleged foul was by gayle who is on opposite side to ref

astradave wrote: »

New rule introduced in the summer. Don't see any suggestion of a foul in either, admittedly low quality, videos

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

astradave wrote: »

Would the ball be in play once the whistle is blown?

https://twitter.com/NewcastleFansTV/status/849705876063649792

Piss take altogether, alleged foul was by gayle who is on opposite side to ref

Looking at that the opposition are all appealing the encroachment and imo that is definitely what the Ref has decided the free is for. There is absolutely nothing else in those 2 videos that warrant a free kick

Only Newcastle could manage to conceded a free kick from a ****ing penalty!

R00ster wrote: »
    Would the ball be in play once the whistle is blown?

I'm not sure. It's like at corners that the ref gives players warnings but doesn't call the free kick until the kicker plays the ball.

Referee has apologised for his "mistake" has stated it was given for encroachment.

The mind boggles. Ref, 2 linesmen and 4th official and they still went with this blatantly wrong decision.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He should be relegated to u-6 games or something for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Referee has apologised for his "mistake" has stated it was given for encroachment.

The mind boggles. Ref, 2 linesmen and 4th official and they still went with this blatantly wrong decision.

Despite sundry players and management reminding them of the rule. At least Newcastle won the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

These lads are paid to officiate these games. The standard of refereeing in England must be at an all time low.

I mean calling the decision farcical is being kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seems an absolutely bizarre decision. It's happened quite a bit where penalties have had to be retaken for encroachment, surely he would know this as a referee? Even stretching belief that he genuinely thought it was that decision, surely he must know that just running in the box early isn't enough to give a free out while a penalty is being taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This guy has to get the boot tbh. Referees make human errors all the time, but I can't see how this one is excusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

5starpool wrote: »
    He should be relegated to u-6 games or something for a few years.

He should be sacked and never allowed to referee again, the most basic of errors that beggars belief. Add to that the fact that there maybe, 99% sure that there isn't, no situation that would cause a free out to be given and it causes me to think skullduggery.

Unbelievable Jeff

Edit: As said, the officiating 'team' should have corrected him as well.

And, I see that the opposing manager Nigel Clough is giving off about the Newcastle players surrounding the ref as a result. If I was a player involved I would be going nuts too as it's a rule that is well known.

Nigel Clough is a *insert profanity* for that reason also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Nigel Clough is just living in his dads shadow in every possible way. I'd pay him no attention

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The ref had a brain fart, he's only human.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Antony Buttimer is reffing in the Championship now?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Jaysus, I don't know if the 'he's only human' argument applies in this case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

CSF wrote: »

A good referee could be lost due to one error. I'm also assuming he knew the rule about encroaching, he just had a moment. I don't know what the ref is like, if he has multiple brain farts then he should be moved down. He could, of course, be a poor referee anyway. I also think it was big of him to come out and admit to his mistake.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Antony Buttimer is reffing in the Championship now?

I don't think there was any kit clash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

A good referee could be lost due to one error. I'm also assuming he knew the rule about encroaching, he just had a moment. I don't know what the ref is like, if he has multiple brain farts then he should be moved down. He could, of course, be a poor referee anyway. I also think it was big of him to come out and admit to his mistake.
    He had no choice.

He has to be punished in some way for an incredible error. He should be moved down for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I can accept that.
    But there is 3 others on and next to the pitch that should know the rules. They have these little things on their head so they can communicate.

But those refereeing teams really live in a perverted master\slave relationship.
    How many times do you see a linesman sticking up his flag for a foul 3 meters away from him but only does so once the whistle has gone already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The linesman/4th official are so afraid of undermining the ref in any way that they never challenge even the stupidest decisions, it's something that needs fixing, a good ref can take their time in decision making, and/or change their initial decision and not lose their authority, but it seems they want to elevate mediocre refs instead.

Video reffing may help here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

There was a couple of the Burton players encroaching aswell.

Should have given Newcastle an indirect free

CSF wrote: »

I don't know. This is too big an error to trivialise in such a manager. I can live with referees not seeing things. The game moves at a frantic pace and this is where the human error has to be taken into consideration. While he is a human who made an error, I think the error is too incompetent/borderline negligence, that he has to have the book thrown at him in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would have been rather unhappy as a Brighton fan if this had affected the result; having had Mike Dean give a howler last year that may have forced us to the playoffs (was about to give a yellow card when the injured player smacked it out of his hand - rather than giving anything to said player for assaulting the ref, he used the only card he still had. Probably wasn't a yellow in the first place). Absolutely comical - the Buttimer comments are spot on, its something I'd expect him to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Standard of refereeing in pathetic.

3 mins added time. There was a 5 to 10 min delay restarting after the incident.

Unbelievable
    Bridge93 wrote: »
    Watching soccer special on sky. Seems referees everywhere are having a mare
    adox wrote: »
    These lads are paid to officiate these games. The standard of refereeing in England must be at an all time low.

I mean calling the decision farcical is being kind.

The standard of refereeing in professional football has never been as good as now. Please stop being over sensationalist....

The ref last night made a big big mistake. He wont be the last ref to make ridiculous decision that is embarrassing.
    Everything a ref does is under the microscope, and all over the media/social media. But instead of helping the refs with a TMO, some fans moan about the stoppages during a match.
    O and how long was the match delayed when this incident happened???

And surrounding the refs is so annoying. Only the captain should be allowed to speak to a referee, which is also more likely to get a message across in a calm manner.

enzo roco wrote: »
    The standard of refereeing in professional football has never been as good as now. Please stop being over sensationalist....

The ref last night made a big big mistake. He wont be the last ref to make ridiculous decision that is embarrassing.
    Everything a ref does is under the microscope, and all over the media/social media. But instead of helping the refs with a TMO, some fans moan about the stoppages during a match.
    O and how long was the match delayed when this incident happened???

And surrounding the refs is so annoying. Only the captain should be allowed to speak to a referee, which is also more likely to get a message across in a calm manner.

If ever I have a group complaining in my job, I pull the "ring leader" aside and only deal with them as you're never going to win or get your point across with a group roaring at you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement