Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2000 euro pc build

Options
  • 05-04-2017 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi looking for some advice on best parts for a new pc build 2000 euro budget thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

We need more information than just a budget so that we can spec a machine correctly. Please fill out the template below:

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nigeemac999

1. What is your budget? 2000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming witcher 3 rust Mass Effect: Andromeda gta v

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no will be using it as media centre

5. Do you need a monitor? no

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] yes

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] cash or visa

9. When are you purchasing? asap

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

what resolution are you outputting to as that will have a massive bearing

hi 1440 at moment but would like to get a 4k monitor in future

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€241.41 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€101.81 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€141.48 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€277.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Toshiba X300 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€159.55 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card (€537.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€87.11 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€123.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1670.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-21 12:17 CEST+0200

• Advertisement

cool thanks would u recommend going for the 1080 ti

cool thanks would u recommend going for the 1080 ti

For 1440p, no.

For 4K, possibly. The 1080 can still get 60fps in most games if you drop from Ultra to Medium-High settings.

i will probably go for ti ver as i hope to upgrade to 4k thanks for all advice

Fair enough.

Computerbase.DE reckon the Gigabyte is good.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€241.41 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€101.81 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€141.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€277.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Toshiba X300 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€166.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card (€836.94 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€87.11 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€123.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1977.29
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-21 13:58 CEST+0200

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You'll need a better processor then for 4k.
    At least an i7 or Ryzen 7 high end cpu.
    Your video card will be the bottleneck at 4k but you need every bit of speed out of your cpu to hit that.
    I was running an i5 in BF1 with a 1080gtx and it was maxed out..had to get an i7 for it to keep up with the card. Battlefield is optimised for a lot of cores though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Increasing resolution does not increase cpu load at all unless it increases the amount visible on screen.

Still might as well go for the Ryzen 1700 and a good cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 or D15.

If you put your parts through geizhals.de you can get a discount on the above prices. You should be able to upgrade this stuff and still keep it under 2 grand. For such an expensive build I'd be looking to up the motherboard quality a bit as well.

Might take a bit of shuffling of funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think at 4K any Ryzen CPU is perfectly fine. The i7 is the better gaming chip and the best option right now for 1440p 120/144hz gaming but aiming for standard 60fps whether at 1440/4K it's not really going to be an issue at all.

The OP didn't mention BF1 but it is a real CPU killer for such a mainstream game. It does make use of extra cores/threads but it also relies on per-core performance heavily, which is why the i7 dominates even the higher end Ryzens in titles like it and say, Fallout 4.

Blazer wrote: »
    You'll need a better processor then for 4k.
    At least an i7 or Ryzen 7 high end cpu.
    Your video card will be the bottleneck at 4k but you need every bit of speed out of your cpu to hit that.
    I was running an i5 in BF1 with a 1080gtx and it was maxed out..had to get an i7 for it to keep up with the card. Battlefield is optimised for a lot of cores though..
    False.

Ryzen 5 performs 98% same as Ryzen 7 in games.
    It won't bottleneck a 1080 Ti.

Yes technically an i7-7700K is faster, but IMO it offers less overall value / upgrade paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Intel is far better at 4k than Ryzen at present. However AMD have promised optimisations for better gaming at 4k. Hopefully they'll release these shortly as more competition is good.
    Sorry..at 4k they're basically a match. So definitely an I7 or Ryzen 7
    http://www.legitreviews.com/cpu-bottleneck-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-tested-on-amd-ryzen-versus-intel-kaby-lake_192585/6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I think at 4K any Ryzen CPU is perfectly fine. The i7 is the better gaming chip and the best option right now for 1440p 120/144hz gaming but aiming for standard 60fps whether at 1440/4K it's not really going to be an issue at all.

The OP didn't mention BF1 but it is a real CPU killer for such a mainstream game. It does make use of extra cores/threads but it also relies on per-core performance heavily, which is why the i7 dominates even the higher end Ryzens in titles like it and say, Fallout 4.

BF1 performance between a properly setup Ryzen and a 7700k is virtually the same because BF1 is well optimised for multiple threads. Fallout 4 however is not well optimised which is why there is a big disparity in that game but should we be judging Ryzen on the performance of a game with a 10 year old game engine?

Blazer they are a match at 4k because the GPU is the bottleneck at 4k. It get's maxed before the CPU does. As I said already resolution has no impact on the CPU at all unless it increases the field of view of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First of all I actually apologise as I said 'dominates the higher end Ryzens' which is not really true - it dominates Ryzen's in the same price class with regards BF1 is more accurate a statement.

Only the Ryzen 1800 is faster in BF1 by a few frames in MP but I doubt the OP was looking at dropping €500 on the CPU! The Ryzen 5 will be significantly slower than the 7700 in that game. Again, not so much that it's an issue at normal 60fps @ 1440/4k/etc but there is a difference at higher refresh rate.

Not saying it will be that way always but it will be very slow to change. Games like BF1 and FO4 are still the minority in making use of so many cores/threads, the vast majority of other popular games scale well even on dual core 2/4 and excel on 4/4 quads, with very few truly stressing a 4/8 CPU..... let alone 6/12 and 8/16 CPU's - and even those that do still rely heavily on strong per-core performance as well.

I mean look at the FX series - still quite crap at core friendly games like BF1 and FO4 despite the 6 and 8 core configurations.

Another CPU killer is Warhammer Total War, in that one the 7700 actually beats the 1800X, and it's one of the few cases where it will make a difference given that the CPU represents a hard bottleneck to even very high end cards at relatively low framerates.

I'm mostly (apart from Warhammer) talking strictly about beyond 60hz gaming here just for clarity, obviously at the standard that 90% of people are operating at, there's no discernable difference at all and there's no reason to chose say, an i5 over a Ryzen CPU at all.

Fallout 4 is a good example because it responds well to more cores/threads but also relies heavily on per-core performance - ergo in that game despite being core-friendly, a Haswell i3 can beat AMD's 8 core FX8350 even when overclocked. I'm not saying it's perfectly optimised but it's also indicative of the important fact that we can't always rely on game dev's to optimise effectively.

The real competitor, in games, to the i7-7700K is the Ryzen 1800 - but they are in difference prices classes. Again a lot of us hoped that the 6/12 Ryzen's would offer cheaper i7 performance but that hasn't happened. They're damn good CPU's and they're a better prospect than Skylake i5 (and in that sense they're great value for money) but they're far short of the i7 broadly speaking in terms of games if you're running >60hz.

Advertisement