Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not sure about grinds?

Options
  • 05-04-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

So I'm not doing too well in pass maths (I was always bad with maths, generally only getting D's and C's, B's if I try my hardest) and accounting is also extremely difficult for me.

Since I'm in 5th year and have been trying my best throughout the year I've been getting A's and B's in most of my other subjects, all but maths and accounting.

I wish to do Grinds for both, but I'm really worried that no one will take me, why? simply because in terms of accounting, the teacher when way to fast for me to actually learn anything, and I was too scared to ask questions because she seemed to have a horrible attitude towards that. So I basically missed out on a lot of the basics, I barley know what is a Current Liability or a Current Asset...and I really need to learn to this as I want to do well. I'm scared however that no one will take me because of how little I know, at this rate I'm going to fail my third honors accounting test and it is NOT an option to do ordinary level.

So what I'm trying to say is, is there any point in getting grinds if I barely know anything for a certain subject? I don't want to be rejected as I have bad anxiety, but I want to do the best I can in the LC.

My accounting teacher said it will come to me with time, but it just hasn't, and I need it to. I've gotten 2 A's in Accounting and that was when I studied extremely hard for those tests, but I need the help now to continue with good grades, same with maths.

So is it wrong to try get grinds If I'm severely struggling with these subjects?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Grinds teachers are paid to teach you what you want to be taught. They take on students of all abilities and will definitely take you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dylanw2u wrote: »
    So is it wrong to try get grinds If I'm severely struggling with these subjects?!
    No, of course not.

Ask around / keep an ear out for an experienced teacher who has a reputation for patience and covering the basics really well; this sounds like what you need, rather than someone who people go to for "extra grinds" to help them move from an A2 to an A1 (of course, sometimes the same person is good at both, but not always).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

Thank you both for the help, really appreciated, gives me confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

Hi, long time since I did my exams but I can remember dropping from hons maths to ordinary and not knowing what was going on in an extremely ineffectual
    teachers class. No money for grinds for me so for 20 quid I did the leaving cert maths night class in a local vec school and did just fine, I'd recommend it to anyone, it helped me, and as someone else said you're paying them to teach you what you need and they're certainly not going to be narky at questions! Good luck!

Advertisement