Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Longford Marathon

Options
  • 05-04-2017 10:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭

Not sure if one already, if so mods feel free to delete. My 2nd ever marathon (1st was 2011 5hrs 39 mins 38seconds :D ) . I've picked it as I can train all summer and I cant dedicate the training time to earlier marathons like cork or later ones like Dublin. Currently running 20miles a week, mixture of 3,4,5,6 mile runs, consistent 8.55 min mile pace. Hoping for a sub 5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Not sure if one already, if so mods feel free to delete. My 2nd ever marathon (1st was 2011 5hrs 39 mins 38seconds :D ) . I've picked it as I can train all summer and I cant dedicate the training time to earlier marathons like cork or later ones like Dublin. Currently running 20miles a week, mixture of 3,4,5,6 mile runs, consistent 8.55 min mile pace. Hoping for a sub 5.

Did this last year and really enjoyed it. A few small climbs on the course and as its in august it was warm as well. But very well organised, great people and afterwards you get fed and have access to hotel pool/jacuzzi etc which was fantastic.

Sub 5 should be doable. You sound like you have a good base training phase with those runs at the moment. If you get a good plan, and mix up the pace a bit - it will really help with speed and stamina. You will get great advice from the experienced runners on here.

I will probably do the half this year as I have a full in Sept. Best of luck with the training!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Wouldn't mind giving one of the races a shot this year, always wanted to do this one (might convince a few do do the relay).

8:55 min mile is a roughly 3hr 55min marathon pace, you are either way faster than sub 5 or you're running these runs way too fast. Now is the prefect time to build a base which needs to be slow miles so you can build up the mileage with injury or burn out. If you're wrecked/completely out of breath after a run you ran too fast.
    Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Wouldn't mind giving one of the races a shot this year, always wanted to do this one (might convince a few do do the relay).

8:55 min mile is a roughly 3hr 55min marathon pace, you are either way faster than sub 5 or you're running these runs way too fast. Now is the prefect time to build a base which needs to be slow miles so you can build up the mileage with injury or burn out. If you're wrecked/completely out of breath after a run you ran too fast.
    Best of luck

Thanks for imput. Im not exhausted after runs but i find in run the longer runs at a faster pace to the shorter runs, if that makes any sense? My 5hr + 1st marathon was cork 2011 and i hadn't a clue how to train. Last 2 yrs i run 4 times a week low mileage i use mapmyrun to track my miles and pace and routes etc. Any suggestions of a good 16 week plan would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

You should have a skim through the DCM Mentored Novices thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057592756
    or use the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program
    The last 2 yrs of running 4 times a week will really stand to you, forget about a target time and follow a plan (better yet join a club) you can pick a target pace later on in the training when you have a better idea of where you're fitness is at - no bother to ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Best of luck with your training!

I am also running the Longford marathon and it will be my second stab at the 26.2 mark.

Friends wedding the week after so it's a perfect time for me to try and get a pb :)

• Advertisement

So how is everyones training going for Longford?

I had an injury myself and am focusing on making sure I can start the day.

Really looking forward to it now. I've heard some great things about the event and the organisers. Will have to stick around for a few drinks afterwards :)

pgarr wrote: »
    So how is everyones training going for Longford?

I had an injury myself and am focusing on making sure I can start the day.

Really looking forward to it now. I've heard some great things about the event and the organisers. Will have to stick around for a few drinks afterwards :)
    I've been "warm weather training" as in wearing loads of layers when going fir run on hot days to make sure I don't die of the heat on the day lol. Found it hard fitting in enough runs so looking at sub 4:20 ish which is a big improvement on 5:39 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 preddington

Hi all. I hope everyone is enjoying the carb loading! Myself and 3 friends are entering the relay this year. Anyone know which of the leg is the longest? The website says that the first three are approx 7.5 miles long, but most of us are past participants in the marathon, and we're almost certain that there is a decent difference in the distances.

weather looks okish? " A good deal of dry weather around on Sunday. Rather cloudy near Atlantic coasts, but some bright or sunny spells occurring elsewhere and just a few isolated showers. Top temperatures 17 to 21 degrees Celsius, in moderate southwesterly winds." 40% chance rain, 81% humidity

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I'm in for my 3rd Longford.
    Looks like weather will be a bit more benign than last year!
    I'm at the end of week 7 of my 19 week plan for Philadelphia so this should be an enjoyable training run.

The plan is:
    Drive to Longford
    Run
    Drive to Dublin
    Grab the kids
    Get to Croke Park in time for a pint before throw in

Up the Dubs

• Advertisement

weather looks okish? " A good deal of dry weather around on Sunday. Rather cloudy near Atlantic coasts, but some bright or sunny spells occurring elsewhere and just a few isolated showers. Top temperatures 17 to 21 degrees Celsius, in moderate southwesterly winds." 40% chance rain, 81% humidity

Looking good alright Jude. Should be a cracking day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I'm at the end of week 7 of my 19 week plan for Philadelphia so this should be an enjoyable training run.

The plan is:
    Drive to Longford
    Run
    Drive to Dublin
    Grab the kids

Up the Dubs

might just bump into u at the start will have an balloon with 4 on it

ger664 wrote: »
    might just bump into u at the start will have an balloon with 4 on it

See you there Ger. I'm planning to jump on the 3:15 bus for company - hope they don't kick me off it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

The plan is:
    Drive to Longford
    Run
    Drive to Dublin
    Grab the kids

Up the Dubs

So you're doing the 10k this year ;)

Enjoy it P

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Well PGarr?? Or are ya too busy giving me kudos on med. long runs on Strava??

Great day knocked 80mins off my pb so delighted. Wish it started at 9 though, found humidity got worse towards midday. Great runners and spectators. never thought I'd see a cricket match in rural Longford, or serenaded by a decent Neil diamond crooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Great day knocked 80mins off my pb so delighted. Wish it started at 9 though, found humidity got worse towards midday. Great runners and spectators. never thought I'd see a cricket match in rural Longford, or serenaded by a decent Neil diamond crooner.

80 minutes! Serious? From what to what?

Apologies. I just read back up the thread. Well done!!

JohnDozer wrote: »
    80 minutes! Serious? From what to what?

Apologies. I just read back up the thread. Well done!!

Don't get too excited, went from 5:35 to 4:20 ish.

Don't get too excited, went from 5:35 to 4:20 ish.

Doesn't matter. Significant improvement in any lanaguage. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

That's not 80 minutes!!!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    That's not 80 minutes!!!!! ;)

He said -ish. Perfectly legal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Yeah, but did you run a marathon!?!?;)

El Caballo wrote: »
    Yeah, but did you run a marathon!?!?;)

Yes i did. Lol

Enjoyed the run on Sunday and got to Croke Park in time for a beer before throw in too. 3rd time running Longford but 1st time seeing cricket in that part of the world!

Great to see an article on Miruts Yifter in the race magazine too.

Savage run from PGarr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

Enjoyed the run on Sunday and got to Croke Park in time for a beer before throw in too. 3rd time running Longford but 1st time seeing cricket in that part of the world!

Great to see an article on Miruts Yifter in the race magazine too.

Savage run from PGarr.

Yeah I thought he was a dnf as he never reported in with result but just checked it there and he was spot on with predicted result.

Hi everyone,

Glad to see targets were met and some smashing times posted!! I hope the day was enjoyable for all?

I had an amazing day personally and have wrote about it in my blog :

http://irishrunningjourney.blogspot.ie/2017/08/my-longford-marathon-2017-humbled-and.html

In terms of targets - I wanted a BQ and got it. I set out with the intention of try to run a 2 : 50 marathon and got in 30 seconds under it :D

I hope it will provide a bit of inspiration to those who want to dream in this passion of ours :)

Padraig.

any idea when they will post results on line all i see is the 'clock' time no sign of chiptime?

Advertisement