Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned while another person posted on my account

Options
  • 05-04-2017 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

One of the guys watching the match with me used my phone in the pub to comment on this match thread. Thought it would be funny to try and get me banned.

I understand it was unacceptable but I've now set a lock pin so this can't happen again.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi,

What did your friend post?

Have you pm'd the moderator per the DRP procedure above?

Are you familiar with boards.ie terms of use?

Please answer the above and we can hopefully resolve this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Steve wrote: »
    Hi,

What did your friend post?

Have you pm'd the moderator per the DRP procedure above?

Are you familiar with boards.ie terms of use?

Please answer the above and we can hopefully resolve this.

Hi Steve,

I have PMed them and he said to follow procedure here. The post was in the Liverpool match thread tonight where a friend of mine took my phone to get me banned as a prank. I've set a lock on my phone since. Apologies for this.

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I carded your post which led to the ban so I have asked another cmod who wasn't involved to look at this.

Bear with us.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Steve has asked me to have a look at this as he issued the card that resulted in the ban that was then issued by GavRedKing

Leave it with me to investigate this as I've just come in the door and seen Steve's message

Beasty wrote: »
    Steve has asked me to have a look at this as he issued the card that resulted in the ban that was then issued by GavRedKing

Leave it with me to investigate this as I've just come in the door and seen Steve's message

Thank you. Appreciate it. I don't know whatever else he did but he said he thanked posts and posted in the thread. I've set a lock now and am going to change my password for this.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to get one thing clear - you are entirely responsible for any posts made via your own account. If that was not the case for this site we would no doubt be inundated with similar claims within the DRP.

Hence I will look at this in the context of what was posted and whether it warranted the red card that was issued, a yellow, or no card at all (which on the face of it looks very unlikely). As you know a ban will follow if it's either a red or yellow, the only question then would be its length - ie either 3 months if a red is upheld, or 1 month if it's downgraded to a yellow

Could you confirm you have made your initial appeal via PM directly with Steve, as that is the first step in the appeal process as set out above. Could you also forward your PM exchange with Steve disputing the card - if you think there is anything of relevance in any exchange with Gav please forward that also, but as I've already stated the ban follows the card, so I would imagine any relevant discussion was with Steve.

Thanks

Just to get one thing clear - you are entirely responsible for any posts made via your own account. If that was not the case for this site we would no doubt be inundated with similar claims within the DRP.

Hence I will look at this in the context of what was posted and whether it warranted the red card that was issued, a yellow, or no card at all (which on the face of it looks very unlikely). As you know a ban will follow if it's either a red or yellow, the only question then would be its length - ie either 3 months if a red is upheld, or 1 month if it's downgraded to a yellow

Could you confirm you have made your initial appeal via PM directly with Steve, as that is the first step in the appeal process as set out above. Could you also forward your PM exchange with Steve disputing the card - if you think there is anything of relevance in any exchange with Gav please forward that also, but as I've already stated the ban follows the card, so I would imagine any relevant discussion was with Steve.

Thanks

Fully understood. I have also PMed you as requested.

Many thanks.

For the record, I have had no PM contact at all with the OP

Thanks for forwarding the PM. The appeal process set out at the head of the forum (full site) and in the sticky requires you to make your initial appeal to the relevant mod. In this case that is Steve as the ban automatically follows the red card he issued. Can you please engage with him via PM. If you wish to pursue your appeal after that I will take a look

Thanks

Hi Beasty,

Steve asked me to follow up here and he suggested potentially a yellow card.

I fully acknowledge the terms of use and the infringement but I would request if this can be reduced to a one week ban is it was not my intention to post this.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Hi Beasty,

Steve asked me to follow up here and he suggested potentially a yellow card.

I fully acknowledge the terms of use and the infringement but I would request if this can be reduced to a one week ban is it was not my intention to post this.

Thanks.

If Steve has offered to reduce it to a yellow that still results in a 1 month ban on the forum totting up process. I cannot see scope to reduce this as it's clearly set out in the Charter.

There is though one other question I would like to ask. Is the person you say posted on your account a member of Boards themself?

Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't think so. They also got to my Facebook too.

Please let me know if this can be reduced further as an exception?

Thanks again.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't think so. They also got to my Facebook too.

Please let me know if this can be reduced further as an exception?

Thanks again.
    Why did you not delete the post when you realised they'd been on your account?

Why did you not delete the post when you realised they'd been on your account?

Apologies. I thought you could only edit the post and nothing could be deleted? Also I don't know how many other thanks actions they may have taken before I got it back :/

A couple of final questions. How long did they have your phone for? Did they post anywhere else? It seems a little odd if they don't have an account that they seemed to know how and where to post to cause maximum disquiet amongst Liverpool fans.

Sure, please see responses below.

1. How long did they have your phone for?

Only for 10 mins maximum as I left the table.

2. Did they post anywhere else?

That was the only post they told me.

3. It seems a little odd if they don't have an account that they seemed to know how and where to post to cause maximum disquiet amongst Liverpool fans.

Fully true, but I was in this thread reading the posts after the match so they picked it up on that particular thread.

Thanks.

OK - I simply do not believe your story. I've checked back and easily found a post you have deleted yourself. You were back posting in the United thread 7 minutes after the "offensive" post. You could have edited or deleted it, but did not. You have a history of trolling Liverpool fans and I have seen evidence of other posts where you took the opportunity to do so which were not reported and you therefore got away with it.

Therefore despite Steve's offer to reduce it to a yellow, I am sticking with the red and the resultant 3 month ban

I may have deleted something ages ago but there is no option I know off on mobile which I was on? I honestly forgot about this.

In terms of editing it, I assumed any history would have been spotted if I had edited it when is hence why I didn't.

Is it possible to appeal this as 3 months is an extended period.

Thanks

3 months is the automatic ban based on your disciplinary record in the forum this season. The only way that could be reduced is if the red card you picked up last night is downgraded or overturned, and as indicated above I am upholding the red.

You can ask an Admin to review this if you wish.

3 months is the automatic ban based on your disciplinary record in the forum this season. The only way that could be reduced is if the red card you picked up last night is downgraded or overturned, and as indicated above I am upholding the red.

You can ask an Admin to review this if you wish.

Sure, I will do this for sure to review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've had a look at the details in this thread and also at discussions in the Soccer mods' forum to see if there are any mitigating circumstances that could give rise to a reduction in your ban. You claim that you were unable to edit or delete the post, but if you were really concerned that it had been posted without your knowledge you could have reported that fact to the mods as a last resort. But you took no action to rectify the situation, which casts serious doubt over your version of events. Couple this with the fact that you have a recent history of trolling in the Liverpool thread and I'm sorry to say that if this were a court case you would end up being convicted as there's nothing to indicate that you should be viewed as a credible defendant.

I'm in total agreement with Beasty, I don't believe your story either. What I do believe is that you probably thought that you'd only pick up a yellow for that post and get a one month ban, which you were prepared to take, and you're only here now because your bluff was called when Steve gave you a red. Taking all this into account, I see no reason to either reduce the card to a yellow and modify the forum ban accordingly, or to make an exception based on your claim that you didn't write the post and to go outside the standard Soccer forum ban guidelines. Consequently I'm upholding your ban.

As an aside, I've banned your other account that I discovered in the course of my review. Posting from multiple accounts is strictly forbidden on boards, however I'm willing to listen to any explanation you may have in the Prison forum, and also any reasons why I should not ban this account for the same reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement