Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping a subject for leaving cert?

Options
  • 06-04-2017 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

At the moment I'm doing 7 leaving cert subjects
    English irish maths French accounting business and economics.
    I was wondering if I should drop one as I'm just feeling a bit snowed under with the workload, even though I'm only doing 7. Is/has anyone doing 6 subjects or is that not a good idea : $

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I don't know if you could "drop" a subject completely at this stage, but if you wanted to you could drop to pass in your worst subject and "neglect" it to a degree to give you more time to focus on your other subjects, that's what I did with Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

You can't "drop" a subject but I suppose you can just get an ng in it on the day...

But no, knuckle down. Turn off the phone etc etc

Get 45 mins walk or sport in every day...

Itll all be over soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BecaX

Oh so you can't actually only do 6? I didn't even realise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

BecaX wrote: »
    Oh so you can't actually only do 6? I didn't even realise

It's not so much that you can't do 6, if you are timetabled for 7 in your school that is where you are expected to be. You haven't said if you are 5th or 6th year but if you are in leaving cert, you only have 6 more weeks of school after the easter holidays. It would be madness to drop a subject this late after doing the work for it. If there is one subject in particular you are having difficulty with you could switch to ordinary level which should lighten your workload a bit, or if maybe just do enough work at higher level to keep you ticking over and focus more on your other six.

You might be grateful of a back up if something doesn't go to plan for you in one of your main six on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

You can't "drop" a subject but I suppose you can just get an ng in it on the day...

But no, knuckle down. Turn off the phone etc etc

Get 45 mins walk or sport in every day...

Itll all be over soon.

If you don't complete any part of the exam for a certain subject it just won't appear on your results. An NG is for someone who sat the paper and failed to get anything over 20% (or is it 30%? I'm not sure).

OP, while you can't be forced to do an exam subject you can't just stop going to the classes though. You'll have to arrange it with your year head/class teacher or whoever that maybe you could sit at the back of the class and study? They can't just let you out of class for insurance purposes.

whatever subject it is you don't plan on doing make sure it's not one you need for matriculation, i.e. English, Irish, maths or maybe French.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This.

An NG means someone attempted at least one part of the exam and scored less than 10%. If you don't show up and don't do any oral or practical involved with that subject, there will be no mention of it on your statement of results.

Advertisement