Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using two websites

Options
  • 06-04-2017 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi
    I have two websites. I am in the process of having a brand new ecommerce website developed. It will be fairly elaborate, covering all aspects of my flooring business. I recently opened a business bank account, and with that they offer a promotion to build a very basic website which will be up and running for FREE for a year. I want to use this free website as effectively as i can.
    My questions are:

How can I best use the two sites to my advantage? Can they work together effectively? Are there any advantages to using two sites in tandem?...it may be a waste to have the free website doing the same job (obviously to a much lesser degree) than the more elaborate site - using a cut down version of content etc.. So therefore, should i use the free site for focusing all its attention on a particular aspect of what i do (such as flooring repairs) or a specific product that stands out compared to the other flooring sites out there.

Correct me if i'm wrong because I'm new to all this website stuff, but it seems to me that its better to highlight a specific and original aspect/product/service of your business in order to, hopefully, draw browsers toward your site. I can always have a link to the bigger site. How can I achieve some sort of symbiosis between the two sites.

If anyone has any thoughts on the matter i would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

In a year's time you're going to be paying for two websites. Each taking time to keep current and updated. Doesn't make sense to my mind.

You want to take advantage of an opportunity that doesn't seem to solve any particular problem.

It's not too dissimilar to someone buying something they don't particularly need because it's "half price" offer or "2 for the price of 1" type deals work for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rhinoplast03

I may have not explained myself clearly:
    The sites are being developed by separate companies. i am in no obligation to carry on using the cheap site after a year. I am under no obligation to use the cheap site as a sibling site (if you want to call it that) to the bigger website. I don't even have to use the cheap site for the same line of business... If there really is NO advantage , then i will use it for something else because it is, after all, FREE!! I'm merely asking if there is any way of the sites working together in an advantageous way for my business.

I sell a large range of products; is there any advantage in putting all the focus on ONE product i like to sell/install, on the cheap site as a means of advertising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I may have not explained myself clearly:
    The sites are being developed by separate companies. i am in no obligation to carry on using the cheap site after a year. I am under no obligation to use the cheap site as a sibling site (if you want to call it that) to the bigger website. I don't even have to use the cheap site for the same line of business... If there really is NO advantage , then i will use it for something else because it is, after all, FREE!! I'm merely asking if there is any way of the sites working together in an advantageous way for my business.

I sell a large range of products; is there any advantage in putting all the focus on ONE product i like to sell/install, on the cheap site as a means of advertising?

If you need a second site, then it's a great idea. If you're only setting up a site because it's free for a year, it's not a good idea.

Advertisement