Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a final bill this morning - never requested an account closure.

Options
  • 06-04-2017 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Hi there,

I got a bill this morning only a few weeks after our last one, which surprised me. I was ever more surprised to see it was because we apparently closed our account. I logged on to see that the account is indeed marked as closed.

I never requested that our account be closed and am still living at the same address with no plans to move out. We have never had any payment issues and have always paid our bills promptly so I don't see why this happened.

Can you rectify this?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

__Alex__ wrote:
    I got a bill this morning only a few weeks after our last one, which surprised me. I was ever more surprised to see it was because we apparently closed our account. I logged on to see that the account is indeed marked as closed.

Ring them as well, that's very odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Originally posted by __Alex__

Ring them as well, that's very odd
    I know, I was surprised. I can only think that someone with a number similar to ours closed their account and ours was closed by mistake. As long as it costs me nothing to get the account reopened, I don't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,420 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

__Alex__ wrote:
    I know, I was surprised. I can only think that someone with a number similar to ours closed their account and ours was closed by mistake. As long as it costs me nothing to get the account reopened, I don't mind!

Ah bit of a mix up there alright, I'm sure it 'll work out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Hi there,

I never requested that our account be closed and am still living at the same address with no plans to move out. We have never had any payment issues and have always paid our bills promptly so I don't see why this happened.

Can you rectify this?

Many thanks
    Hi __Alex__,

Thank you for getting in touch. We are very sorry to read of this inconvenience.

What has happened here is likely to be similar to what you suspect: someone possibly completed a switch, using your MPRN (meter point reference number) in error, as it is likely similar to the MPRN at your address.

We can indeed send a request for this to be cancelled - just please private message any of us Electric Ireland reps the now closed account number, stating that you are the account-holder and your name, address and date of birth.

We will assist you as soon as possible. Please be reassured that your supply will not be affected, and there will be no charge to reopen your account.

If you were in a contract with Electric Ireland, an exit fee may automatically be applied to your account, however this will of course be removed once you contact us about it.

Kind regards,
    Una

Thanks Una, will send PM those details now.

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested, I received a response to an email I sent Electric Ireland this morning:

I can confirm that we were notified on the Xth of April 2017 that another customer accepted responsibility for the electricity charges at the address <address here>

If you wish to change the Electric Ireland account xxxxxxxx into your name again, simply complete this form online and we'll take care of the rest.

I am thoroughly freaked out. How can someone else close my account like that? Aren't there security questions in place that only I can answer in order to do so?

Hi again __Alex__,

We can understand your concern - however we wish to reassure you that this issue can be resolved easily without your supply being affected.

It is standard for a customer to open an account in their name at an MPRN where there is an electricity account open (in the case of a handover from one person moving out to the person moving in). The opening of the account for the person moving in, automatically closes the open account.

Of course you were not moving out, and unfortunately the person registering their account provided your MPRN in error to open their account. This automatically closed your account.

This can be easily reversed for you and the automatic final bill will be cancelled.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Regards,
    Una

That's a bad system! The current account holder should be contacted to cross check. Anyone can give a wrong account number by mistake.

That's a bad system! The current account holder should be contacted to cross check. Anyone can give a wrong account number by mistake.
    Hi again __Alex__,

Can you send us another private message for us to update you when you have a chance?

We are here on Social Media until 6pm and we will return on Monday morning.

Kind regards,
    Una

Hi again __Alex__,

Can you send us another private message for us to update you when you have a chance?

We are here on Social Media until 6pm and we will return on Monday morning.

Kind regards,
    Una
    Hi Una, will do later, thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi Una,

I'm sorting this out by email, thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi _Alex_,

You are very welcome.

Thank you for letting us know.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

Advertisement