Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Motel is leaving Joyces, Knocknacarra

Options
  • 06-04-2017 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Your Parcel Motel at Joyce's, Shangort Road, Knocknacarra is moving to the Topaz Garage, on Seamus Quirke Road. The move will take place on Thursday, 6th April 2017 from 11am - 3pm.

You'll be able to collect any stored parcels from the new location from 4pm.

We've also updated your Parcel Motel location on your account for any future orders.

Click here for directions from Joyce's Shopping Centre to the Topaz, on Seamus Quirke Road.

Thanks,

The Parcel Motel Team.

This is a senseless move... It borders on stupidity...

It was a winner for Joyces and Parcel Motel... OFten I collect Parcel and do shopping and for Parcel Motel it makes them closer to actual customers... Just does not make sense...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

CowboyTed wrote: »
    This is a senseless move... It borders on stupidity...
    Do you have access to the stats CowboyTed? How does it compare with the other stations/depots they have in Galway City?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I got that email too and was a bit surprised. I'm sure it simply comes down to money. Probably cheaper at the petrol station and sure they may have a larger country-wide deal as Topaz and Texaco seems to be their preferred location.

I never use them anymore as I find their service to be terribly slow compared to Parcel Wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Doesn't really make sense. There's another ParcelMotel closeby at the Topaz station at the Quincentenary Bridge. Only a stone's throw away!
    Both petrol stations are a pain to get in and out when traffic is busy, i.e. when you want to pick something up on your way home. Joyce's is much easier.
    Am waiting for a coffee delivery that's due tomorrow and am not pleased at all about the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Do you have access to the stats CowboyTed? How does it compare with the other stations/depots they have in Galway City?

Don't have stats but with another one 400 yards down the road and quicker access to the type of shops that we use delivery on, Knocknacarra had to be a busier outlet.

I suspect it is the deal Topaz is what changed there mind but it makes no business sense... Large populated area not covered...

For me the answer is simple... Parcel Wizard it is and I will be leaving PArcel Motel and I don't think I am alone...

And I probably shop more at Aldi, I just went to Joyces because I was passing the door..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Doesn't really make sense. There's another ParcelMotel closeby at the Topaz station at the Quincentenary Bridge. Only a stone's throw away!
    Maybe not for long? Consolidation perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Well, they have lost a customer here - off to parcel wizard

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Well, they have lost a customer here - off to parcel wizard
    Not as convenient as Joyces
    , maybe they could move in there... good fit for both..

The wife figures I have given €2,000+ extra to Joyces just for Parcel Motel this year...
    So why would Joyces want them out?

The place they are moving less than 600 yards from there other one in an area which by demographics would be less busy than Knocknacarra. Also the TRAFFIC, my god the TRAFFIC around those two places is nuts...

I just don't see the business sense behind this... Maybe Parcel Wizard will see an opening and put a collection point there... Parcel Motel will hemorrhage customers to anyone there moves in there...

So the question is, Did Parcel Motel leave or did Joyces get them out? Which one made this stupid decision...

Ok ok, cool it. If it's that big of a deal give them a call and complain.

As far as I know Parcel Wizard don't have lockers. Instead, they deliver which works better for me as I work from home or for people who work somewhere that has a mail room that accepts personal deliveries. However, not having lockers is a big downside if you're not in that situation. They do send you a text in the morning which gives a 1 hour window they'll deliver. They're 95% accurate about delivering when they say. However, recently the text that tells you the time is being sent later and later. Last time it was sent only 5 minutes before the window started so basically I wouldn't rely on it for running home from work to try to meet the delivery driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

An Post have a relatively new service called AddressPal which caters for deliveries from the UK only https://addresspal.anpost.ie/. You nominate a post office where you can collect your parcel within 5 days from delivery.

I'm not sure if there's a post office in Knocknacarra, but if not at least you get a few extra days to collect your parcel which takes a bit of the pressure out if it. Unlike Parcel Motel where you have to get there within a day.

• Advertisement

An Post have a relatively new service called AddressPal which caters for deliveries from the UK only https://addresspal.anpost.ie/. You nominate a post office where you can collect your parcel within 5 days from delivery.

I'm not sure if there's a post office in Knocknacarra, but if not at least you get a few extra days to collect your parcel which takes a bit of the pressure out if it. Unlike Parcel Motel where you have to get there within a day.

There is no post office in Knocknacarra. The nearest are Salthill (pain to park) or Westside (right beside the new PM locker location).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

And post offices don't exactly have the most accommodating opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

An Post have a relatively new service called AddressPal which caters for deliveries from the UK only https://addresspal.anpost.ie/. You nominate a post office where you can collect your parcel within 5 days from delivery. .
    Thanks, handy for me

The big plus with AddressPal is that as their receiving address in in England (rather than NI like the others). So this can be a useful workaround when ordering from certain sellers that won't ship or charge more for NI.

What's most interesting is with An Post doing the same thing rather than this loophole being shutdown it is practically a state sanctioned practice. Of course, we'll see what happens in 2 years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

What's most interesting is with An Post doing the same thing rather than this loophole being shutdown it is practically a state sanctioned practice.

In what was is it a loophole? You're just paying to look after part of the delivery of your purchase.

I never use them anymore as I find their service to be terribly slow compared to Parcel Wizard.

I just had a look at the Parcel Wizard website as I didn't know much about them. I see the service is run by DPD who I've always found speedy and reliable. Plus they let you reschedule your delivery if the time doesn't suit you which is very handy.
    As far as I know Parcel Wizard don't have lockers.

Looking at the PW FAQs, they do deliver to Pickup points so customers can collect their parcels from those locations at their leisure. Apart from a depot in Ballybane, Pickup locations in Galway city are currently limited to four Spar and Londis shops in Newcastle, Mainguard St, Mervue and Roscam.

The OP and others affected by the PM move might like to contact Joyce's to ask if they would consider becoming a Parcel Wizard Pickup location. Sounds like PM has been bringing business their way so one would imagine they'd be glad of an opportunity to provide an alternative.

J o e wrote: »
    In what was is it a loophole? You're just paying to look after part of the delivery of your purchase.

I took it that the "loophole" refers to the provision of a UK address in order to facilitate the purchase of goods from the UK cheaper than they can be bought in Ireland. The fact that An Post, a State sponsored body, are providing this facility also struck me as ironic when I first heard of it.

Well Goodbye Parcel Motel, Hello Parcel Wizard...
    Is Tony the delivery guy from them with the English Accent? If it is, he is sound.
    Parcel Motel went real quick as well... Email at 9:58 and gone by 11:00...
    Good while it lasted...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Parcel Wizard isn't 24/7 either though is it. Still needs to be picked up in business hours.

Just got a text telling me my delivery is ready for collection at Knocknacarra Joyce's. They should change that in their system ASAP :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It doesn't take the pin either. You need a barcode or QR code to collecr. It doesn't send that in the email though fairplay. A few of us were trying it. Pure headwrecking tbh.

I only have a pin. No email as this is a Nespresso delivery, so not linked to my account. I shall report how I get on tomorrow.

flazio wrote: »
    Parcel Wizard isn't 24/7 either though is it. Still needs to be picked up in business hours.

I'm pretty sure Spar and Londis shops are open well into the evening.

Just got this from:

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortuently we had to remove the motel from the original location at the request of the premises owner and we have relocated it as close by as we possibly could.

We are aware that this may inconvenience some users and we very much regret that but unfortuently it is outside of our direct control.

Kind regards

So it was Joyces who instigated it... Hard to blame Parcel Motel...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did they really spell it as "Unfortuently"?

Thargor wrote: »
    Did they really spell it as "Unfortuently"?

Yep.. Sounds like they got shifted quite quickly...

I wonder what Joyces were thinking, make little sense, it effectively took little space and created footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Yep.. Sounds like they got shifted quite quickly...

I wonder what Joyces were thinking, make little sense, it effectively took little space and created footfall.

I was just thinking the same thing. I did think that Joyces had a more local stock of produce, but it is extremely expensive- really expensive!:eek:

I can absolutely understand why people would move to Dunnes/Aldi, less than 1km away.

Nothing has ever been done to improve Joyce's :it always charged above what is fair -

I have no agenda here - I come to Galway regularly, but have noticed the how expensive Joyce's has become.

That said, after the departure of Xtra-vision, with no new tenants..... you would wonder about the future of all those units

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I was just thinking the same thing. I did think that Joyces had a more local stock of produce, but it is extremely expensive- really expensive!:eek:

I can absolutely understand why people would move to Dunnes/Aldi, less than 1km away.

Nothing has ever been done to improve Joyce's :it always charged above what is fair -

I have no agenda here - I come to Galway regularly, but have noticed the how expensive Joyce's has become.

That said, after the departure of Xtra-vision, with no new tenants..... you would wonder about the future of all those units

Where Xtra vision was is becoming a dentist office apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's working again btw. Gives the option to collect. The girl from PM was dead on about it tbh. That's my first bad dealing with them in about 20 uses tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

This really is "unfortuenate". It was handy while it lasted.
    For anyone in the Knocknacarra area that doesn't like getting stuck in traffic, Parcel Wizard have a pick-up point at Supervalu Barna.

Advertisement