Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S&C for triathlon/running

Options
  • 06-04-2017 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

I see from a lot training logs people around here include some S&C into their training plans.

Ideally how often would/should you do these sessions?
    What would be a typical example of a session?

Haven't done any strength work since my rugby playing days (which would not be too suited to running..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

My cheering kids go to me why did he ignore us when he was going by us coming into the finish at Claregalway......I tell them he was probably trying to make sure he won.......no dice....."he was miles ahead daddy and the finishing line was just there".

Your adoring fans aren't a fan of the thousand yard stare!

Well done was that your first race win?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

catweazle wrote: »
    My cheering kids go to me why did he ignore us when he was going by us coming into the finish at Claregalway......I tell them he was probably trying to make sure he won.......no dice....."he was miles ahead daddy and the finishing line was just there".

Your adoring fans aren't a fan of the thousand yard stare!

Well done was that your first race win?

I was a grumpy sod as i was hurting from 2km in and was convinced they moved the finish line:(
    And what did you tell them when they asked why aren't you racing daddy?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

They were actually questioning why wasn't mummy racing more then daddy......which shows the level of running going on in this house :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Get a room

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Ye should just meet up for afternoon tea in the G for a catchup...... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Getting back to original query...any valuable input?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Ideally 2 to 3 times a week IMO. I should add that as with everything it depends on the person. I've found that as I get older some SnC helps build robustness and stops you picking up injuries. Some people reckon it's a waste of time and can be contentious. Personally I'm a fan of it.

I'd prioritise mobility work first if it was for someone that hadn't done weights before, especially Olympic lifts.

Here's a couple of useful links:

https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/
    https://www.mobilitywod.com/

Some people are more than happy with body weight exercises that can be done easily at home or anywhere for that matter. Others prefer a mix of body weight and actual weights or just weights. Horses for courses. Ideally you want sometimg that will keep you robust and strong without negatively impacting on your actual run/triathlon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I try and build in Yoga for strength and conditioning and flexibility. I would also look at some sort of plyometrics if you can which is often used to assist in running.

Beyond that I would often use S&C with areas I am prone to injury or have a weakness so anything for hips, glutes, shoulders, and core. Since christmas coach has worked it into run drills most Wednesday nights. 50ms of squats then jog lap, 6 pushups 5 steps repeat x 5, jog a lap, 5 burpees 5 steps x 5 , jog a lap, 1 lap at 75% repeat for different drills. That kind of thing.

Would often do resistance band work when Im sitting at home watching telly.

Advertisement