Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 500 Issues.

Options
  • 06-04-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm having some issues with Garmin Edge 500 last few days. Hoping someone can give me any advice if I can do anything more to fix it.

Firstly, it recorded my ride last week but there was no display visible.

I did a master reset and all working again or so I thought.

Last night, it recorded everything on the bike fine. Distance, Av speed etc were all the same as it's the same route I do on Wednesday evenings.
    When I went to upload to Strava the activities folder wasn't in the file. Later on I found the folder but no ride was recorded.

I did another reset and then connected to Garmin express for a FW update. All is updated.

I used it this morning driving into work as a test. The ride was in the activities folder as normal.

Could this be the start of this giving up on me though? It's about 6yrs old.

Not sure should I just get a new one now. Will test it again this evening on the bike.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

You may be looking at a file system corruption. Just make sure you always stop the device before taking it out. If you are deleting old activities, it is more important than ever as this may brick it.

I would also never ever attempt to write anything on it, it is however doesn't mean that some other software doesn't do it in the background.

Would also avoid updating the firmware if everything works fine for you.

Just following these simple things, me, seems, was quite immune for any problems with it so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

nordicb wrote: »
    You may be looking at a file system corruption. Just make sure you always stop the device before taking it out. If you are deleting old activities, it is more important than ever as this may brick it.

I would also never ever attempt to write anything on it, it is however doesn't mean that some other software doesn't do it in the background.

Would also avoid updating the firmware if everything works fine for you.

Just following these simple things, me, seems, was quite immune for any problems with it so far...

I tried it again this evening Nordicb on the bike for about a km. Recording fine as usual but no activity in the folder when I went to upload.

Not sure what I'll do. I might shoe it to a tech at work. He will know more than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

tcooley wrote: »
    Not sure what I'll do. I might shoe it to a tech at work. He will know more than me.
    Maybe have a look at the garmin support forums? That's where I ended up after having manual upload issues, to find a massive thread on the issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Actually, as Macy0161 mentions earlier, do you upload manually or through a plugin? I always use manual upload personally, just find it easier...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've had a couple of occasions where mine has stopped putting rides into the Activities folder. It did record the rides and I found them somewhere else on the filesystem (can't remember where exactly unfortunately). Both occasions it was flagged by hanging at "Working" when powered on. First time it happened I deleted all the activities (from the computer while connected and after backing them up) and it restarted fine. Second time it needed the master reset, which ended up doing a factory reset, and it's been working since ok since.

Stopping and resetting the ride before power-off does seem to be very important - it really ain't as fault tolerant as it should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tcooley

Cheers all.

I did a scan and fix at weekend and has worked the last two times.

I generally connect the garmin to the phone and upload to the Strava site. Might just upload via laptop anymore.

Cheers.

Advertisement