Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Caretaker in Limerick Buildinf

• 06-04-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice with an issue in the building where I live.

The management company of the complex have hired a new caretaker who seems a bit ott. I didn't think much of it at first, he was giving out about noise levels and people parking in the wrong spots a bit aggressively but seemed generally harmless.

My flatmates mothers called in a month or so ago with her dog while she was out for a walk and he came out of his office and screamed at her that no pets were allowed in the building. The rule from what I can see is we aren't allowed pets which we don't have but assumed a visit from a small dog would be OK. I went to the building management about this and they seemed uninteresting and said it was a misunderstanding.

After that I resigned to just avoid the guy as much as possible. My boyfriend came to visit last night and park his car in the wrong spot. It wasn't blocking anyone but isn't officially a spot. I know this is against the rules but since he was arriving at ten and leaving at six am (outside this guy's working hours) I thought it would be OK.

This morning my boyfriend came down to all the air let out of the tires, the caps gone and an unofficial letter threatening a clamp next time.

I completely know we were in the wrong for parking there but is this legal?

I should also say I'm renting from a private landlord who owns the flat, not from the building management company so I don't even know how much right this guy has over me.

My landlord has contacted the building management as well but got brushed off similar to the way I have been.

Thoughts and advice appreciated! I'm very concerned about where this could escalate to.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ob1987 wrote: »
    all the air let out of the tires, the caps gone and an unofficial letter threatening a clamp next time.
    :eek:
    If this is the work of the caretaker then wow. Very unprofessional!
    Does the letter seem like the work of "random other occupant" or likely to be the caretaker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi OP, you might get more help over on this forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Maybe ask one of the moderators here to move your thread over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd call the gardai about the tyres. Your boyfriends car was vandalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ob1987

Definately him. He left a letter on the car and I know his writing from other official letters. This one was just a scrawled note on a bit of paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's unprofessional to shout at somebody. Letting the air out of the tires is another step up in terms of aggression. It's a tricky situation for sure. Personally, I'd get the hell out of there unless it's an otherwise very nice place to live. In that case, I'd send a letter to the management company saying that the behavior is unacceptable and that you are considering legal options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

This morning my boyfriend came down to all the air let out of the tires, the caps gone and an unofficial letter threatening a clamp next time.

No matter how badly parked your BF was a caretaker can't do that. I'd be talking to the Management Company and the gardai. I'd also be canvassing the tenants for support in having the caretaker tamed down a tad or removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

but seemed generally harmless.

Like every second serial killer, it's always " he seemed generally harmless "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Get onto the management company in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Hi

I imagine this caretaker is just carrying out the specific work instructions of the management company. Namely no illegal parking or no pets on the premises . When rules are allowed to be broken normally chaos ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

mart 23 wrote:
    I imagine this caretaker is just carrying out The specific work instructions of the manageent company namely no illegal parking or pets on the premises . When rules are allowed to be broken normally chaos ensues.

Then it's the management themselves who are responsible for vandalising the car, assuming the care taker did this?

As long as they have a sign in the car park saying that residents accept responsibility for damage / vandalism caused on site, then they should be fine to continue letting the air out of non-resident's cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

mart 23 wrote: »
    Hi

I imagine this caretaker is just carrying out the specific work instructions of the management company. Namely no illegal parking or no pets on the premises . When rules are allowed to be broken normally chaos ensues.

Doesn't give you the right to go tampering with someones car - either use a wheelclamp or don't - no weird sh!t

What if the caretaker had let down one tyre a bit and got called away and forgot about it - all caught on CCTV

Then later the driver mounts a kerb and kills a pedestrian over it

What then ?

gctest50 wrote: »
    Doesn't give you the right to go tampering with someones car - either use a wheelclamp or don't - no weird sh!t

What if the caretaker had let down one tyre a bit and got called away and forgot about it - all caught on CCTV

Then later the driver mounts a kerb and kills a pedestrian over it

What then ?

Thats a very dramatic scenario you have written there . I assume the bf of the op has no permission to park on the premises . He should park elsewhere when overnighting with gf and advoid giving irritation to the other residents and the caretaker .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I'd be contacting the guards. This is actually criminal damage and he can be charged with same.
    s. 1 Criminal Damage Act 1991
    "to damage" includes.
    ( a ) in relation to property other than data (but including a storage medium in which data are kept), to destroy, deface, dismantle or, whether temporarily or otherwise, render inoperable or unfit for use or prevent or impair the operation of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Are you a 100% sure it was the caretaker that let that air our of your boyfriends tyres? Especially if an unofficial letter was left there? It could have been a pissed off resident. I live in an apartment block and people park thinking they are not blocking anyone else but they are often restricting access and causing obstructions. It is incredibly arrogant and frustrating behaviour as there is a reason why there is designated parking spots. I would be 100% sure it was the caretaker that carried out that damage before accusing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

panda100 wrote: »
    Are you a 100% sure it was the caretaker that let that air our of your boyfriends tyres? Especially if an unofficial letter was left there? It could have been a pissed off resident. I live in an apartment block and people park thinking they are not blocking anyone else but they are often restricting access and causing obstructions. It is incredibly arrogant and frustrating behaviour as there is a reason why there is designated parking spots. I would be 100% sure it was the caretaker that carried out that damage before accusing him.

If it was causing an obstruction then leaving the air out only delayed in having the obstruction removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ob1987

Plot Twist. After several back and forth with building manager it turns out it isn't our official caretaker, but a new resident who has been acting as one on his own accord. After a few texts to neighbours we have established other people have fallen victim to the believe he is the caretaker. The property manager is now dealing with situation and obviously very concerned. And we got a new parking spot. 😠will see what happens now.

Plot Twist. After several back and forth with building manager it turns out it isn't our official caretaker, but a new resident who has been acting as one on his own accord. After a few texts to neighbours we have established other people have fallen victim to the believe he is the caretaker. The property manager is now dealing with situation and obviously very concerned. And we got a new parking spot. 😠will see what happens now.

Does the op have a car parked on the premises as well . When u say ye have a new parking spot does this mean ye have 2 parking spots now Normally in apartment blocks there is only one prarking space allocated per apartment. I think in some apartment blocks they may have guest spaces. This story is getting a bit weird . Why would a resident want to act as a caretaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

mart 23 wrote: »
    Does the op have a car parked on the premises as well . When u say ye have a new parking spot does this mean ye have 2 parking spots now Normally in apartment blocks there is only one prarking space allocated per apartment. I think in some apartment blocks they may have guest spaces. This story is getting a bit weird . Why would a resident want to act as a caretaker.

Because some people are ****ing insane.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Wow. That's a whole lot of crazy. Did you pursue the tyres being interfered with? I would be contacting the local garda station. If there had been some emergency, and you were unable to use the vehicle because of some wannabe caretaker (is that a thing), there could have been trouble.

Advertisement