Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Pieter de Villiers, the French international was at the Munster training session in UL today as was Donnacha O'Callaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Whats the rumour behind that? New forwards coaches? If he comes on board in any meaningful way, hopefully De Villiers does more than his namesake did for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Whats the rumour behind that? New forwards coaches? If he comes on board in any meaningful way, hopefully De Villiers does more than his namesake did for us.

De Villiers was our best player when he was here, after a slow start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Do you mean the SA coach being so awful they've come looking for Rassie?
    Or do you mean Jean, who was actually growing into the jersey before he was tempted back home for one last WC crack?

You're right on the former, wrong on the latter.

I think Fla was down with him during the summer for scrum coaching - this was probably a catch up call. Timely, with the semi-final coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Jean DeVilliers had a slow start but finished as our top try scorer (I think?) and hit good form in the latter half of his season here - was sorry to see him go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    De Villiers had far more impact than Sam Tuitupou did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Excellent news, Murray and Sweetnam aside. I feared Scannell's season was over.

Thought the same as this. I think Scannell has been one of our best players all season and would've been a big loss for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Only realised just now - Munster have never won a "home" semi final. All 4 finals we reached were via away semis. And Saracens have never won an "away" semi either. Something's got to give..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

who_me wrote: »
    Only realised just now - Munster have never won a "home" semi final. All 4 finals we reached were via away semis. And Saracens have never won an "away" semi either. Something's got to give..

This is our 11th HEC/ECC semi final, but is only the third time we've had a home semi. Winning and losing stats are pointless from such a small sample size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

This is our 11th HEC/ECC semi final, but is only the third time we've had a home semi. Winning and losing stats are pointless from such a small sample size.

Where's the fun in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

I'm looking forward to the weekend ahead as I have a lot of friends travelling for this game. Bit of a reunion planned for Dublin that evening, so I'm excited in that regard. I just can't get hyped about winning though, it seems almost impossible im my mind. I'd give anything to be more optimistic :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

John Hayes Ligind
    PetKing wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the weekend ahead as I have a lot of friends travelling for this game. Bit of a reunion planned for Dublin that evening, so I'm excited in that regard. I just can't get hyped about winning though, it seems almost impossible im my mind. I'd give anything to be more optimistic :(:(

To the brave and the faithful, nothing is imp.. oh, hang on.

Nah, this game is very winnable. Saracens are very narrow favourites with the bookies but if Stander is fit and if Bleyendaal makes it through 80 minutes, I'd back Munster to win it. It's their toughest game all season, no question, but the stadium is going to a sea of red and that's going to count for a lot.

PetKing wrote: »

We're not favourites or anything near it and if we play like we did on Saturday we'll be hockeyed but we can beat them, we need to be on top form though and not gift them any scores.

#Believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭davo2001

Return of the JJ
    Can't wait for the game on Saturday, a group of us are traveling up from Limerick. Should be good craic, the result on the other hand.......... Well, i dunno. Here's hoping for the miracle match part 2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

To the brave and the faithful, nothing is imp.. oh, hang on.

phog wrote:
    #Believe

I have the faith, but I wouldn't say I'm all that brave!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Given the injuries we have, I'm a lot less confident than 2 weeks ago, we're a bit weakened.

Have no problem with Duncan starting but it's the replacement scrummie that has me worried if Murray is ruled out. How fit will CJ be? I guess it'll be Conway starting if Sweetnam is ruled out and ROM to the bench (who has been in fine form... but still, a downgrade on bringing on Conway). Rory Scannell being out weakens us in midfield but at least Keats got gametime this weekend and looked good.

The plusses are DOC 2.0, who probably had his best game for us v Sarries and looks to be back to his best, Deysel (if picked on the bench) has the capacity to make serious impact, Tyler can throw that game-winning flat pass. John Ryan is in the form of his life.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Do you mean the SA coach being so awful they've come looking for Rassie?
    Or do you mean Jean, who was actually growing into the jersey before he was tempted back home for one last WC crack?

You're right on the former, wrong on the latter.

No, the poster before me said De Villiers the french player. He was a prop.

JDV never hit the heights he should have with us. He was exceptional with Sharks and SA. Might have been showing promise of getting towards that by the time he was leaving but didnt have the impact the likes of Rua Tipoki or even Halstead, a far more limited footballer, had for us.

The Telegraph are reporting that Donnacha Ryan, Stander, O'Mahoney, Murray and Earls will be named in the Lions squad tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

John Hayes Ligind
    The Telegraph are reporting that Donnacha Ryan, Stander, O'Mahoney, Murray and Earls will be named in the Lions squad tomorrow.

Wow, Earls would really be a shock. I'd be delighted for him given some of the "treatment" he's had from some quarters.

• Advertisement

John Hayes Ligind
    Earls over Zebo? Wouldn't be what I'd pick but good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭kub

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    I don't care what my head says, my heart says Munster this weekend. We beat The All Blacks sur ;).

To the Brave and Faithful etc.

So lets be Brave and Faithful.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

So POM, Stander, Murray are the three Munster lads headed with the lions. No Earls, Ryan or Zebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

So where exactly did they "report" from? Some local down the pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

John Hayes Ligind
    So where exactly did they "report" from? Some local down the pub?

Gavin Mairs had a bit of a... well you know where this is going

Jersey Reds - Team for Friday evening

Jersey Reds squad v Munster 'A' (A) - British & Irish Cup Final, Friday April 21st, Irish Independent Park, Cork; k-o 7.30pm

Backs (15-9)

Ross Adair
    George Watkins
    Jordan Davies
    Apakuki Ma'afu
    Nick Scott
    Callum Sheedy
    Kieran Hardy

Forwards (1-8)

Jake Woolmore
    Joe Buckle
    Simon Kerrod
    James Voss
    Pierce Phillips
    James Freeman (capt)
    Gary Graham
    Nick Haining

Replacements

Nick Selway, Sean McCarthy, Jake Armstrong, Uili Kolo'ofa'i, Max Argyle; Joel Dudley, Lewis Robling.

I think Ryan can probably feel the most aggrieved of our lads to miss out. Dont know how Henderson poxed a spot. He's listed as a 2nd row and Id have had Gray, Launchbury and DR ahead of him. No doubting he can be brilliant but Henderson had a long injury lay off, didnt play all the 6 Nations and what he did play wasnt exactly great. Poxed to make the cut but doesnt seem to be getting talked about.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think Ryan can probably feel the most aggrieved of our lads to miss out. Dont know how Henderson poxed a spot. He's listed as a 2nd row and Id have had Gray, Launchbury and DR ahead of him. No doubting he can be brilliant but Henderson had a long injury lay off, didnt play all the 6 Nations and what he did play wasnt exactly great. Poxed to make the cut but doesnt seem to be getting talked about.

I am guessing it's because he can play two positions. No doubt he's going as a lock but he could tog out at 6 for a mid week game if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Just wondering if anyone could fill me in on what type of a player dan goggin is? A centre who plays on the wing? Noticed he's played a few times for ye this year but havnt seen him at all? And what's his contract situation? Just some pub talk that he could be on his way to Connacht in the summer

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could fill me in on what type of a player dan goggin is? A centre who plays on the wing? Noticed he's played a few times for ye this year but havnt seen him at all? And what's his contract situation? Just some pub talk that he could be on his way to Connacht in the summer

I think he's primarily a centre.
    His academy contract is up at the end of the season but Munster will want to retain him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

awec wrote: »
    I am guessing it's because he can play two positions. No doubt he's going as a lock but he could tog out at 6 for a mid week game if needs be.

When I was checking the players on the Lion's site earlier, he was classed as Second Row/Back Row

I think he's primarily a centre.
    His academy contract is up at the end of the season but Munster will want to retain him.

More of a 12 or 13 ? Ye have some good options in centre for next season so mightn't be so far fetched

More of a 12 or 13 ? Ye have some good options in centre for next season so mightn't be so far fetched

The Taute/Saili situation needs to be resolved so we'll be down one there at least. Hanrahan coming back gives us another option at 12 but I think he'll cover 10 more often than not. Personally, I hope we keep hold of Goggin, thought he was good, if unspectacular early in the season. Still young so plenty of time to improve.

aloooof wrote: »
    The Taute/Saili situation needs to be resolved so we'll be down one there at least. Hanrahan coming back gives us another option at 12 but I think he'll cover 10 more often than not. Personally, I hope we keep hold of Goggin, thought he was good, if unspectacular early in the season. Still young so plenty of time to improve.
    Taute seems the perfect fit for ye, be very surprised to see him go, then Farrell coming in too and young Arnold if he can stay fit

Taute seems the perfect fit for ye, be very surprised to see him go, then Farrell coming in too and young Arnold if he can stay fit

I keep forgetting about Farrell! Looking forward to seeing him play and hopefully Sam Arnold will have a bit more luck on the injury front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Stander Up and Fight

Some good options but one of them is injury prone in Sam Arnold and Rory Scannell could possibly be away during internationals depending how he does during the summer and maybe the Autumn.

Tyler/JJ
    Scannell/Goggin/Arnold
    Taute/Farrell

If Scannell gets called up for internationals that leaves you with playing Taute at 12 with Farrell at 13 and Goggin with Arnold as your two back ups and JJ as another guy who can do a job at 12 but will primarily be the back up 10. Connacht would already have the same numbers as Munster in the centres with Aki,Robb, Ronaldson, Farrell, Griffin and Parata so he could possibly see less game time at Connacht than at Munster.

Edit. Munster also have Cian Bohane and David Johnson listed as centres with the first team but can see Bohane being released in the summer and David Johnson being kept on for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

John Hayes Ligind
    Connacht would be a good fit for Goggin, Farrell and scannell will be starters next season with JJ and Arnold as cover and maybe one of Taute/saili.
    I think Shane Daly who was promising at 13 for Ireland u20s last year is playing primarily at full back now.

Some good options but one of them is injury prone in Sam Arnold and Rory Scannell could possibly be away during internationals depending how he does during the summer and maybe the Autumn.

Tyler/JJ
    Scannell/Goggin/Arnold
    Taute/Farrell

If Scannell gets called up for internationals that leaves you with playing Taute at 12 with Farrell at 13 and Goggin with Arnold as your two back ups and JJ as another guy who can do a job at 12 but will primarily be the back up 10. Connacht would already have the same numbers as Munster in the centres with Aki,Robb, Ronaldson, Farrell, Griffin and Parata so he could possibly see less game time at Connacht than at Munster.

Parata has been released apparently which is a big mistake, ronaldson and griffin are also injury prone bundee id say is as likely if not more likely to be with Ireland then scannell ( not knocking scannell but green tainted glasses and a more combative style which I think joe will prefer) so a centre is needed in Connacht I think, what's bohanes story then?

Stander Up and Fight
    case885 wrote: »
    Connacht would be a good fit for Goggin, Farrell and scannell will be starters next season with JJ and Arnold as cover and maybe one of Taute/saili.
    I think Shane Daly who was promising at 13 for Ireland u20s last year is playing primarily at full back now.

Where would he fit in at Connacht? He'd be behind Aki, Ronaldson and Robb for the 12 spot and Griffin, Parata and Farrell for the 13 spot.

• Advertisement

Stander Up and Fight
    Parata has been released apparently which is a big mistake, ronaldson and griffin are also injury prone bundee id say is as likely if not more likely to be with Ireland then scannell ( not knocking scannell but green tainted glasses and a more combative style which I think joe will prefer) so a centre is needed in Connacht I think, what's bohanes story then?

Yeah big mistake if Parata has been released indeed. Bohanes just not good enough really, he'll be 26 in the summer and would really need to move on if he wants to play rugby.

awec wrote: »

But youve also got all those backrowers who flitter between 6/7/8 as cover already. For example, Stander is going as a 6 it would seem as there are two 8's going. Warburton has also been playing at 6 for Wales already. Obv POM is a 6. Even SOB could cover at 6. Cant really see how Henderson gets ahead of any of them for 6 spot even midweek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

John Hayes Ligind
    Where would he fit in at Connacht? He'd be behind Aki, Ronaldson and Robb for the 12 spot and Griffin, Parata and Farrell for the 13 spot.

Parata is being released and he's of similar standard to Farrell/Griffen.
    I'd rather Nash get a few opportunities in the pro 12 instead of goggin blocking his way.

Yeah big mistake if Parata has been released indeed. Bohanes just not good enough really, he'll be 26 in the summer and would really need to move on if he wants to play rugby.

Yeah parata a heading down to play in nz alone with ciaran gaffney and cian romaine. Jeez didn't think bohane was that old

Stander Up and Fight
    case885 wrote: »
    Parata is being released and he's of similar standard to Farrell/Griffen.
    I'd rather Nash get a few opportunities in the pro 12 instead of goggin blocking his way.

Nash played on the wing for Ireland u20s and made his debut for Munster on the wing so I doubt Goggin who'll probably play 12 will be blocking Nash from getting game time. Nash is still very young at 19 and in his first year in the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    I would really hope we don't lose Goggin. He looked shaky during the start of the season but he got a lot of gametime around the six nations and he looked very, very good. He's doesn't look massive but he's a really strong ball carrier and also has a great offload. He looks like a really promising player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I would really hope we don't lose Goggin. He looked shaky during the start of the season but he got a lot of gametime around the six nations and he looked very, very good. He's doesn't look massive but he's a really strong ball carrier and also has a great offload. He looks like a really promising player.

He's pretty big when you're standing next to him! He's like a gorilla. Very bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

John Hayes Ligind
    Is the team being named today?

letowski wrote: »
    Is the team being named today?

Midday on the Friday usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Munster A Team out for B and I Cup Final in CIT tomorrow evening

Munster A: Stephen Fitzgerald; Dan Goggin, Sam Arnold, Cian Bohane – capt., Alex Wootton; David Johnston, John Poland; Peter McCabe, Kevin O’Byrne, Brian Scott; John Madigan, Darren O’Shea; Gavin Coombes, Conor Oliver, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, Liam O’Connor, Rory Burke, Mark Chisholm, Sean O’Connor, Abrie Griesel, Greg O’Shea.

http://munsterrugby.ie/2017/04/20/munster-a-side-named-for-bi-cup-final/

At worst Duncan Williams will be good to go for Saturday as Griesel is on the bench for the As.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement