Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    troyzer wrote: »
    The Aviva does have X-ray equipment. It also has a standby dentist and operating theatre.

I stand corrected. But unless a player indicates he is in a bad way, they are unlikely to get an x-ray done at half time. Would they even have the x-ray back before the break is over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Zzippy wrote: »
    The Aviva does have X-ray equipment. It also has a standby dentist and operating theatre.

I stand corrected. But unless a player indicates he is in a bad way, they are unlikely to get an x-ray done at half time. Would they even have the x-ray back before the break is over?

You can get an X-ray done in literally 30 seconds.

Not that it matters, I brought up to counter the argument that his fracture was just a rumour spread by his brother. They almost certainly would have had him scanned after the match and known straight away.

Not necessarily at half time though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    IRFU has reported that he will be out for 4 weeks and likely back before the end of the six nations.

It was also mentioned in the42 article that he hadn't reported a facial injury to the medical staff until just before he was subbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    I find it hard to believe that Stander went through 57 minutes of the game including a 15 minute break at half time with the medical team being completely unaware of any issue including the swelling on his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Stander sustained serious injury, you'd all be screaming from the rooftops!!
    As it is, he's out for a while.
    Bear in mind, he had no bearing in the match. He was on the backdoor all game. Mr V was dominant.
    SOB was waiting in the wings and was raring to go.
    Again, Stander and his health should be the priority!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The last page or so on the thread makes for some sorry stuff.

CJ and an England player clash heads and the posts so far are going with
    - his brother in law was spreading false rumours that he had two fractures, cheek and eye socket.
    - posters getting warnings for goading Munster fans being not happy if he misses the euro QF
    - despite taking a blow to the head its the players responsibility to report the injury to the medical team.

Some places reporting he broke his jaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Buer wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that Stander went through 57 minutes of the game including a 15 minute break at half time with the medical team being completely unaware of any issue including the swelling on his face.
    In one of his first games for Munster he broke a bone in his hand and played on without being subbed. Maybe adrenaline masked the pain, maybe it didn't feel sore? Only guessing here at reasons. I hope for his own sake it wasn't bravado.

I broke my cheekbone before and didn't know it. Was able to do everything the same. A bit later i started swelling up and that was the first indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

- despite taking a blow to the head its the players responsibility to report the injury to the medical team.

30 players on the field and hundreds of collisions. It is not unreasonable to assume that with finite resources the medics simply did not see the incident.

Players have a responsibility as well BTW. Bernard Jackman and John Fogarty both spoke in the past about how they withheld info and avoided the medics quite a bit and how much of a poor judgement that was and that was just 10 years ago.

Players routinely play on with an injury due to adrenalin masking symptoms. How many times do we see ankles getting strapped or a head blood injury get bandaged up.

Harinordoquy played a game about 8 years ago with a mask to protect a broken nose

I completely tore my subscapularis in my left shoulder in an American football game a few years ago without realising it. In fact, I stopped playing American football just after because of an unrelated, recurring knee problem.

I've been trying to get back into lifting the last year and only when I was experiencing severe pain and weakness did I go to a Physio and find out that I had torn my subscapularis ages ago and it never healed properly.

Serious injuries can and do go unnoticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Harinordoquy played a game about 8 years ago with a mask to protect a broken nose
    Well, he started the match with the mask anyway. He "lost" it during a ruck when it got stuck on someones fingers. I don't recall there being any fuss by the ref over someone forcibly removing it. If you took someone's gum shield out or went to take McKinnon's(?) goggles off, i'm sure there'd be something said/done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Defunkd wrote: »
    Well, he started the match with the mask anyway. He "lost" it during a ruck when it got stuck on someones fingers. I don't recall there being any fuss by the ref over someone forcibly removing it. If you took someone's gum shield out or went to take McKinnon's(?) goggles off, i'm sure there'd be something said/done?

Guess game has evolved in 8 years so could be punished. Would like to think if it happened to McKinley it would be as he wears the goggles to protect his eyes and also because presumably it would be contact with eye area but all speculation to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭sylvanb

Scottish Rugby announced via e-mail that tickets for the Quarter Final are on sale tomorrow at 10 am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Looks like only one side is open. Had to buy 5 tickets in a line on different rows. Not many were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Managed to get two tickets in E14. Choices were slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Got my ticket! Decent seat too! GB25 not too shabby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good to see lots travelling over, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/status/1093237899795980288

some west stand tickets just opened up.

Between the 22 and goal line at both ends of the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Ffs knew I should have held out to get seats together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    Reports in midi that Hart and D o'Callaghan are both heading to Biarritz

https://twitter.com/jhnfrombrittany/status/1093621076171608064?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

I think everyone would wish DOC eile the very best on that move... unlucky with injuries unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Let's be honest, biarritz is an amazing place to go play rugby. Best of luck to the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Let's be honest, biarritz is an amazing place to go play rugby. Best of luck to the lads.

Fantastic place but I wouldn't be eager to go play rugby there right now. The club has completely fallen apart in recent seasons. They're mid table in ProD2 and seem very unlikely to be in the shake up for promotion. They've had massive money issues of late and half of their board have resigned in the past year. The club president has changed several times in recent seasons too.

Hopefully 2019 sees an end to the turmoil and they can begin climbing back to where they once were but it's going to be a long road for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Yep, would have to wish the lads well if that's whats happening
    Any more confirmed rumoured departures or incomings

Outgoings
    Keats, DOC and Hart

Incoming
    Nick McCarthy

We've one of the most bloated squads out there so would be nice to see some quality incomings and a reduction in numbers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

brinty wrote: »
    Yep, would have to wish the lads well if that's whats happening
    Any more confirmed rumoured departures or incomings

Outgoings
    Keats, DOC and Hart

Incoming
    Nick McCarthy

We've one of the most bloated squads out there so would be nice to see some quality incomings and a reduction in numbers

You're looking at Taute and possibly Williams and Ronan O'Mahony leaving too. I can't really see any big signings happening.

Mike Sherry
    Ciaran Parker
    Sean O'Connor Year 3
    Dave O'Callaghan - Biarritz rumour

James Hart - Biarritz rumour
    Alby Mathewson
    Duncan Williams
    Tyler Bleyendaal
    Jaco Taute - Leicester rumour
    Stephen Fitzgerald - already at loan at Connacht
    Ronan O'Mahony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Stander Up and Fight
    What do you think about Bleyandaal Thomond? Unlikely he'll be kept?

Mike Sherry
    Ciaran Parker
    Sean O'Connor Year 3

Alby Mathewson
    Duncan Williams
    Tyler Bleyendaal
    Ronan O'Mahony

Is it end of month Alby's contract was extended to? Guess if there's no word on renewal in next few weeks he's probably gone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is it end of month Alby's contract was extended to? Guess if there's no word on renewal in next few weeks he's probably gone

End of March, I think.

aloooof wrote: »
    End of March, I think.

Ah you're right. Meant to say end of next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Mike Sherry
    Ciaran Parker
    Sean O'Connor Year 3

Alby Mathewson
    Duncan Williams
    Tyler Bleyendaal
    Ronan O'Mahony

Out of that list i reckon Sean O'Connor & Ciaran Parker will be kept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

slingerz wrote: »

I reckon Parker will be kept on.

With Coombes already being promoted to the seniors for next season I’m not too optimistic that O’Connor will be kept on.
    We’re looking at next season being:
    Locks:
    Kleyn, O’Shea
    Beirne, Holland, Wycherley

Back row:
    O’Mahony, Coombes
    Cloete, O’Donnell, Oliver
    Stander, Botha, O’Donoghue

The best move might be to swap Coombes (6’6”) to second row and Wycherley (6’4”) to back row next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭BobMc

Anyone know if 20's is on the box tonight ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

BobMc wrote: »
    Asked in 20s thread already. Its not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

BobMc wrote: »

Not on anywhere. RTE and BBC Alba are both showing the women.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not on anywhere. RTE and BBC Alba are both showing the women.

I saw their game last w/e. Poor viewing tbh.

p.s. There's a live rugby league game on, and also Premiership Cup.

kuang1 wrote: »
    What do you think about Bleyandaal Thomond? Unlikely he'll be kept?

It depends if the academy players are deemed ready to step up to be #4 in the pecking order. I'd rather let Bleyendaal go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

I reckon Parker will be kept on.

With Coombes already being promoted to the seniors for next season I’m not too optimistic that O’Connor will be kept on.
    We’re looking at next season being:
    Locks:
    Kleyn, O’Shea
    Beirne, Holland, Wycherley

Back row:
    O’Mahony, Coombes
    Cloete, O’Donnell, Oliver
    Stander, Botha, O’Donoghue

The best move might be to swap Coombes (6’6”) to second row and Wycherley (6’4”) to back row next season.

With the RWC i reckon O'Connor will get a dev deal

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

slingerz wrote: »
    Mike Sherry
    Ciaran Parker
    Sean O'Connor Year 3

Alby Mathewson
    Duncan Williams
    Tyler Bleyendaal
    Ronan O'Mahony

No way Parker will be let go unless Munster have a new signing coming in. Munster have a good set of tight head props for the first team but the quality in depth ready to step up is not there beyond that at the moment.
    Parker and Scott are next in line. Scott has had a few injuries and has moved around too much between sides to settle in. Parker has failed to make an impact at any level since he came to Munster. Even at A level he has been dominant in many facets of play.
    Knox looks a serious prospect but he is 2/3 years and maybe even longer away from stepping into the first team rotation. Until then we just have to hope Archer and Ryan stay fit for the big games.

Surprised he's training to be honest.

1647754.jpg

Chris Farrell is also training as well as Billy Holland, Tadhg Beirne and Conway.

Is it normal for Joe to release so many for training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Surprised he's training to be honest.

1647754.jpg

Chris Farrell is also training as well as Billy Holland, Tadhg Beirne and Conway.

Is it normal for Joe to release so many for training?

When Ireland have a rest week usually the fringe players and those needing game time return to their clubs for the week and head back to base on Sunday.

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    When Ireland have a rest week usually the fringe players and those needing game time return to their clubs for the week and head back to base on Sunday.

Why were Stander and Farrell released then?

Why were Stander and Farrell released then?

Farrell would be considered fringe/in need of game time as Aki, Henshaw Ringrose are ahead of him. So hopefully that is good news on their injuries.

The injured (not just a knock) are released regardless of if there is a game on or not in order to be managed by their provinces medical team, takes the pressure off the medical team & facilities in camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

It depends if the academy players are deemed ready to step up to be #4 in the pecking order. I'd rather let Bleyendaal go.

Just a reminder Thomond, you wanted to let Billy Holland go as well!

I'd keep Bleyendaal. I wouldn't want Munster to lose that kind of experience with so many young 10s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

any thoughs on the munster team for friday night in Cork against the chiefs?

jm08 wrote: »
    Just a reminder Thomond, you wanted to let Billy Holland go as well!

I'd keep Bleyendaal. I wouldn't want Munster to lose that kind of experience with so many young 10s.
    What 10s do you want to lose then?
    We'll have plenty of games during world cup for guys to build experience and with Carbery in 6 nations squad next year
    Canyon86 wrote: »
    Kings. Should ideally see some from national squad released to play

• Advertisement

Canyon86 wrote: »

If further Irish players are released: (If not released)

15. Haley
    14. Conway (if fit, else O'Mahony/Whooton)
    13. Farrell
    12. Scannell
    11. Sweetnam
    10. Bleyendaal
    9. Matthewson

1. Loughman
    2. Marshall
    3. Archer
    4. Klyne
    5. Bierne
    6. Wycherly
    7. Colete
    8. Botha

16. Scannell (O'Byrne)
    17. Ryan (O'Connor)
    18. Parker
    19. Holland
    20. Coombes
    21. Cronin
    22. Johnson
    23. Arnold

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

What 10s do you want to lose then?
    We'll have plenty of games during world cup for guys to build experience and with Carbery in 6 nations squad next year

Kings. Should ideally see some from national squad released to play

I'd hang onto them all and getting them toplay loads of AIL. The AIL worked well for Johnny Holland and Joe Carbery.

You just never know with young players - look how Johnny Holland had to retire.

2nd last match in Cork this season. 1st time hosting SA team in Cork. Hopefully gets a close to sell out crowd!

With a break in 6 Nations action this weekend, a number of Munster’s international contingent are training with the province this week and could see game-time at Irish Independent Park on Friday night.

The Munster Rugby Medical Department have released the following injury update ahead of Friday night’s game.

Jack O’Donoghue (knee) has returned to squad training and will look to return to play over the coming weeks.

JJ Hanrahan (hip) returned to squad training last week.

Andrew Conway has returned to full training with the province after presenting with some calf tightness on international duty.

CJ Stander is rehabbing a facial injury at the province.

Sammy Arnold will be unavailable for selection over the next few weeks due to a hairline fracture of his fibula.

Tommy O’Donnell (AC Joint) underwent surgery last week and has commenced his rehabilitation programme with the medical department.

The following are progressing with rehabilitation: Brian Scott (foot), James Cronin (leg), Tadhg Beirne (knee), Dave O’Callaghan (foot), Tommy O’Donnell (shoulder), CJ Stander (face), Sammy Arnold (leg).

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/02/11/squad-update-pre-southern-kings/

Possible team:

Loughman, Scannell, J Ryan, Kleyn, Holland, Wycherley, Cloete, Botha;
    Mathewson, Johnston, Sweetnam, Scannell, Farrell, Conway, Haley

Marshall, LOC, Archer, DOS, Oliver, Williams, Hanrahan, Goggin

Ireland: POM, Stander, Murray, Earls
    Injured: Scott, Cronin, Beirne, DOC, JOD, TOD, Stander, Arnold

Bill Johnston was at the press conference today so he should be starting. Shoulder surgery for TOD probably rules him out of the season. Just horrible luck. Farrell is back training with Munster, since he only played vs Scotland he could feature for Munster.

The Kings have conceded 32 points on average this season in the Pro14. Anything less than a comfortable TBP win for Munster would be a surprise.

jm08 wrote: »
    I'd hang onto them all and getting them toplay loads of AIL. The AIL worked well for Johnny Holland and Joe Carbery.

You just never know with young players - look how Johnny Holland had to retire.
    You would be far better losing some of them and putting money to better use elsewhere.
    And all players are involved in AIL....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement