Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance renewal, how can I get the premium down

Options
  • 06-04-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Following situation: I have an '06 car with an 1.0l engine.
    I'm 26, holding a Full EU license for 4 years now. My partner is 28, Learner's permit. No claims on our policy.

We are due to renew our policy in May. It was pretty complicated getting insurance in the first place and went with AXA and paid roughly 2,2k for Third party. Since I didn't live in Ireland for 12 months we had the choice for either AXA or Aviva but now we could choose between pretty much every insurer out there.
    The cheapest was getting insurance in his name and naming me as a driver, since I got quotes in the region of 5 - 6k. I'm basically driving the car and now because I'm at home with a baby, I depend on it.
    He decided to finish his licence but can't do the driving test before the renewal is due.

I started to shop around and the quotes we get are insane, the AA is pretty much the cheapest with 2,5k.

Is there any way we can somehow get the insurance down because I honestly do not want to bite the bullet once again and pay this amout for such a small car.

Every advice is appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Exchange eu for Irish licence.
    Minimum 10% discount and max 30%

But can be 12 weeks delay for exchange thusbrenew on higher price and reduction applied by axa when new licence Buber and issue date saved

Pm if stuck

Advertisement