Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Inspected- (related thread here also)

• 06-04-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I bought a bike off a seller in Dublin 2 months or so ago.
    Yamaha Majesty 400cc. Last week I noticed the oil flying out of
    both front forks and most likely like that since it was bought. Oil dripping from the forks down in around the brakes...Can this affect the performance of the brakes? If so how.

When I collected the bike after he says the seals were replaced (no confirmation paperwork) I noticed that the left hand brake had a lot more play in it than it did before I dropped it in for seals to be replaced.

While he was doing that I got him to put heated grips and a usb double socket which he did. Both these items are wired direct to battery. I wasn't happy as this may result in unnecessary battery discharge. I was so fed up after talking to him about it , I decided that I would get a mechanic near home just to tighten the left brake handle the next day.

I have just been informed by this mechanic (Very small mileage done since I bought it ) that the brakes are brutal. They are all matted in the metal(discs) and completely worn ,the pads were not changed when they should have been causing further issues. As I say I have done very little mileage and the mechanic has said all that damage is not recent.

This guy gave me a bike with faulty seals , dangerous brakes , wires in UBS without an on/off switch or wire to appropriate fuse , leaving the battery discharging ... What can I do about this guy....I have had family members on this not roadworthy bike as far as I am concerned , I am annoyed , and thankful nothing happened at the same time.

Is there an association like SIMI that I could complain to about this seller.
    Appreciate any advice please , Thanks

Paddy

PS , I am just quoting from an email he sent me when I enquired about the leaks, All our stock is fully inspected and services prior to sale and carry 3 months warranty. Some inspection that is!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SIMI is just a group for car sellers to lobby the government its nothing to do with consumers.

There's a lot you can do but it all depends on how much grief you want to put yourself through for possibly very little satisfaction, people who knowingly sell dodgy vehicles know that at the end of the process very little will actually happen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If it still has 1 month on the warranty then get them to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fork oil onto your brakes is, literally, lethal.

Are you 100% sure the heated grips have no fuse ?? Ordinarily the loom they come with, in the packet, has an inline fuse, and the battery connector off that: makes no sense to not have used it: would actually have been more trouble, not less.

As for the USB thing, well, unless you asked for a switch, you wouldn't get one, but I agree it should be fused.

I would go back, as civil as possible (I know, I know, you'll be doing it through gritted teeth...), and tell them you need the brakes made safe: new pads, new fluid, and properly bled. Discs need to be spotlessly cleaned before fitting new pads, with proper brake cleaner.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Ok,this about the 3rd or 4th issue you have with this bike and this shop and the 3rd or 4th thread about it.

NAME the Shop

get the bike back there ASAP and quote the sale of goods act to them with regards to their warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

hi ya the handle bar grips have an in line fuse ok. I got onto the manufacturer who told me the intelligent control turns the grips off when it detects that the bike is off. seller didn't appear to know this ..if he had told me that it would have be ideal...until I found out myself I presumed they would be running if left on accidentally. I would have thought that the USB adaptor would be wired to ignition to turn off when bike is switched off ...Its like leaving your cig lighter powered on when you leave car for a couple of days ..seems a silly thing to me to do..

Anyway he is telling me its my fault both seals leaked they were grand when bike left his shop and that's a fact!....There is no way two seals would leak together ,in my view , if they had not been under pressure for some time...It may have been the way it was transported for example if tied down at front bumper for some time putting forks under spring pressure or plenty of other reasons...its my fault anyway he says.

As regards the brakes the disc have indentations , which are causing the discs to wear unevenly , the pads it seems were left on for way too long , and require repair....I'm looking at 500/600 approx. for front and back brakes to be replaced so they work as they should.
    In fairness seller has said run it back and he will check it ....under warranty .....I am not going back until I get a second mechanic tomorrow to check the brakes also , and see if he agrees with the guys opinion of the brakes today. Its my view if the mechanic is correct about the state of the brakes I should not have been sold this bike in that condition.
    I have only been out for local spins since I got it , maybe 1000 miles or so ...the mechanic today ,,said it like that for a long time...thks for all replies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Where did ya buy the bike?

Don't really want to say well known place ..It's funny but about two weeks after I bought it off this guy I was looking through done deal ..I saw a very similar bike for sale ..For 250 cheaper than mine ..As I went through the photos and saw the reg I realised it was mine ..So this seller had obviously taken it from another seller added 250 onto the price and along comes me and buys it at the dearer price ! If I had been two weeks earlier and I wandered into the other shop id be 250 up on the deal before I started !

Thanks for sharing.

FFS will you just name the bloody place.

Done get me wrong,I understand you are not happy about the bike,but its ironic that you are giving out about him or them on these threads,but then you are defending him or them.

Only stating the facts as they occurred

• Advertisement

Only stating the facts as they occurred

Well how about stating the name of the shop then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you don't want to name the shop then don't but give a general description and location and its not rocket science for anyone else to work out who you are talking about.
    Its a decent thing to do if you are asking for advice from people here.

Mods can you close this thread please seems to be a big deal for me to name the shop which I would not do. I was only seeking advice ... Additional replies now are unhelpful and not required ..Many thanks .

Mods can you close this thread please seems to be a big deal for me to name the shop which I would not do. I was only seeking advice ... Additional replies now are unhelpful and not required ..Many thanks .

Your wellcome Paddy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

So let me outline this thread, you come on here and state that:
    This guy gave me a bike with faulty seals , dangerous brakes , wires in UBS without an on/off switch or wire to appropriate fuse , leaving the battery discharging ... What can I do about this guy....I have had family members on this not roadworthy bike as far as I am concerned , I am annoyed , and thankful nothing happened at the same time.

Is there an association like SIMI that I could complain to about this seller.
    Appreciate any advice please , Thanks
    Then you say :
    Don't really want to say well known place ..It's funny but about two weeks after I bought it off this guy I was looking through done deal ..I saw a very similar bike for sale ..For 250 cheaper than mine ..As I went through the photos and saw the reg I realised it was mine ..So this seller had obviously taken it from another seller added 250 onto the price and along comes me and buys it at the dearer price ! If I had been two weeks earlier and I wandered into the other shop id be 250 up on the deal before I started !
    And when people here gave advice that these issues are potentially lethal and ask you where you bought this potentially lethal motorcycle so that they might avoid this seller you won't tell them and ask for the thread to be closed?
    Nice one, This is a classic case of I'm all right jack F the rest of you.:rolleyes:

CJhaughey wrote: »
    So let me outline this thread, you come on here and state that:

Then you say :

And when people here gave advice that these issues are potentially lethal and ask you where you bought this potentially lethal motorcycle so that they might avoid this seller you won't tell them and ask for the thread to be closed?
    Nice one, This is a classic case of I'm all right jack F the rest of you.:rolleyes:

Sums up my thoughts on this perfectly.
    Wonder how "helpfull with our advice" we will all be to the OP in the future,after whats hes now posted

Mate where are you getting a quote of 600 euro to fix the brake, that shouldn't even cost 100 quid. 2 discs and pads on a moped would cost nothing

I would never name ANY business that treated me good or bad. This is factual account of my dealings with the shop. His view is as it is 2010 there will be wear and tear ..That's fair enough. Despite both seals leaking he says it's my fault and they were not leaking when they left the shop. I'm happy that's correct. However as both leaked which I understand is unusual in that one normally weeps/ leaks ... I could have been killed if oil leaked onto the wheels in motion. He didn't say it and it didn't happen ..I think he thinks I damaged it which I didn't and I told him I didn't and I also said if I did I wouldn't go back if it was my fault. So he repaired the seals. My issue is that if the bike was fully inspected as he said it was the weakness on the seals should have been seen and repaired.
    While he replaced the seals I got him to fit USB power unit, he did that by connecting it to battery after I had asked that it be off when bike was switched off. I was annoyed and as I was leaving the place ..I then noticed the left hand brake had a lot more play in it .than it had the day before when I left it in .. .I was fed up at this stage that I decided to get a local mechanic to what I presumed was just to tighten the brakes the next day near home .. and to my further annoyance ..Pads and discs all need replacing. I have about 1000 km on it just over 8 weeks since I bought it . im looking at 550 for new brakes. He has intimated that the bike was in roadworthy condition after I said it wasn't letting on letting it off sold with brakes in that condition was not on ...But then again " caveat emptor" the brakes are brutal but not illegal..It's is not best or safe practice in my view to sell bikes like that ..He strictly speaking has done nothing wrong. The headlight is way off and forces incoming drivers to slow and flash their headlights at the bike which makes for dangerous driving ..for me at night. An other albeit small issue.how can a full inspection miss that ?!!.So really if you want to be straight about it I have no comeback as such ..I will go to the small claims court anyway. ...I have two invoices for 550 ish to put the brakes right. He is to look at it Monday ..He did fix the seals ..He may very well replace the full brakes ( I doubt it ..Have to give him the chance anyway) so I won't name the shop as he has done nothing wrong..As such ...But I'm pissed off ..Anyway ..I'm here to seek advice that's all...I did buy a new bike 2 years ago from him which I traded in . of course that was new so had manufactur gaurante....I do recall tho again at that time I got three helmets off him..For 3 times the price they were worth ..As I saw the same helmets in Halfords the next week .100 e cheaper. I swore I would never go back . But he had the bike I wanted. Please stop asking where it is or who it is ..I won't name them..I will leave a factual detailed negative review on Google so others will not be caught out like I was

He strictly speaking has done nothing wrong...I will go to the small claims court anyway
    Riiiight.

Ohhhh your getting on my nerves now ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜all products sold must be of merchantable quality whether new or second hand ... Interpretation of the law is one function of the courts ..Therefore you present your evidence as I may and will do. He may do the same .. reports etc would be presented . Then an independent person would decide. Ie judge ...So a seller would for example would have some duty of care ie . Should he ..Did he ..Take all care to ensure that the bike was safe. Eg did he do pre safety checks ..Eg headlight alignment ! If it was a car it would fail nct .. if the alignment fell outside certain limits ..when all three matters are considered then an opinion and or direction is made ...Yawn yawn I'm bored now but if you have nothing better to do on this lovely day I have ..I'll address your next sensible comment tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I would understand if you wouldnt want to disclose the name of the shop if the issue was only minor. However you were sold a 2010 bike which is in unsafe condition. At least let people know in which vicinity this shop is so it can be avoided.
    I would hate so see fellow bikers getting injured or even killed because a shop cant be arsed.

I also have no issue recommending shops were I ve experienced great customer service. For example Dave in Gem workshop in Donnybrook and Stefan in Scotts bikes in Harolds Cross are sound as a pound.

Ohhhh your getting on my nerves now ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜all products sold must be of merchantable quality whether new or second hand ... Interpretation of the law is one function of the courts ..Therefore you present your evidence as I may and will do. He may do the same .. reports etc would be presented . Then an independent person would decide. Ie judge ...So a seller would for example would have some duty of care ie . Should he ..Did he ..Take all care to ensure that the bike was safe. Eg did he do pre safety checks ..Eg headlight alignment ! If it was a car it would fail nct .. if the alignment fell outside certain limits ..when all three matters are considered then an opinion and or direction is made ...Yawn yawn I'm bored now but if you have nothing better to do on this lovely day I have ..I'll address your next sensible comment tomorrow

Better not fall asleep on that dodgey bike then.

Paddy,you bought a dirtbox of a bike without even checking it over properly and you are now only realizing it.

You come on here and post several threads about the bikes issues and ask for help and advice.You got your advice.We all helped you.

But comming on here and mocking us all now aint gonna win you any friends,sympathy or further advice here.

So cop yourself on mate and wind yer neck in.

Stewy ...your wrong , I asked for advice I got it. I'm grateful. It is good to know these things ...I don't want to name the shop..
    as it may harm the reputation of the man ....bottom line is I trusted this guy , as I don't know anything about bikes ...you should always bring someone with you if you are not competent yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Stewy ...your wrong , I asked for advice I got it. I'm grateful. It is good to know these things ...I don't want to name the shop..
    as it may harm the reputation of the man ....bottom line is I trusted this guy , as I don't know anything about bikes ...you should always bring someone with you if you are not competent yourself

This makes it even worse for me. If I go to a shop and buy a bike then I want to have at least some sort of come back (why else paying for the premium over a private sale...).
    I ve no sympathy for shop owners who don't stand over products and/or provide bad customer service. I don't expect a used bike to be mint but thats taking the mick.

Advertisement