Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Agents requesting very private data prior to viewing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Eh? As pointed out it's not stored. The information is 'processed' if you want to call it that. there and then. I've far more interesting topics to talk about with my friends than my tenants bank statements.

Don't care what you call it. It's iffy practice at best. And it's not just about you. I can only tell people to refuse, complain and call for legislation stopping this sharp practice.
    Oh great idea, more poorly thought out legislation that causes even more LL's to exit the market. Fantastic idea all around.

It would be one central point, info is given once and accessible many times. Business means legislation. You don't like it? Business is not for you.
    Then rent off an agency, who incidentally are the same idiots requesting this stuff to even get a viewing. Their policy is so well written and researched they aren't even aware of the linked case study.

Have to take your word for it.
    Nice and simple then, buy your own place. I can assure you the HR manager will get a call to follow up the salary certs.

I have bought my own place, in fact I have two of them so I don't have to put up with cantankerous quarehogs who bother my employer because they have nothing better to do. I have tenants myself and I simply couldn't be arsed.
    Precisely what's been forward by me and other landlords. But there isn't a proper credit scoring system in Ireland. So we have to make additional checks. Your issue with this seems to be some misplaced notion your data is safer with a letting agency than a small time LL. Firstly it simply isn't, secondly the industry in Ireland is one man operations, some of us choose not to use agencies. That's fine, don't rent with us, seems a bit stupid to me though as you're limiting your potential properties on faulty assumptions.

That is an assertion based on "because I say so". And I wouldn't rent from you. You might come once a week to nose around and probably snoop through my trash.
    Luckily I life in Germany now and I don't have to rent. And I couldn't just march into my tenants flat once a week because the fancy took me to have a nose around, If I asked for my rent in cash I'd have the Steuerfahndung on my ass and I can't just up my rent by 20%. But that is also because here we don't think that double digit rent and house price inflation is the greatest thing in the entire world.
    I agree on the tax thing, I don't pay nearly as much tax. <mod snip:unhelpful>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

I can only tell people to refuse, complain and call for legislation stopping this sharp practice.

In your opinion, to others it's pure common sense.

I have bought my own place, in fact I have two of them so I don't have to put up with cantankerous quarehogs who bother my employer because they have nothing better to do. I have tenants myself and I simply couldn't be arsed.

And what checks do your perform when searching for new tenants?

And I wouldn't rent from you. You might come once a week to nose around and probably snoop through my trash.
    That's some assumption!

Luckily I life in Germany now and I don't have to rent.
    know you don't rent there but what's the common procedure concerning credit checks and tenancies there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I have actually emailed Coveney Minister for Housing in regards to clarity over this. Looking for bank statements, employer references etc is all in contravention to the Equal Status Act 200-2015

Using the term 'professionals only' in an advert is discrimination.

Don't care what you call it. It's iffy practice at best. And it's not just about you. I can only tell people to refuse, complain and call for legislation stopping this sharp practice.

It would be one central point, info is given once and accessible many times. Business means legislation. You don't like it? Business is not for you.

Have to take your word for it.

That is an assertion based on "because I say so". And I wouldn't rent from you. You might come once a week to nose around and probably snoop through my trash.
    Luckily I life in Germany now and I don't have to rent. And I couldn't just march into my tenants flat once a week because the fancy took me to have a nose around, If I asked for my rent in cash I'd have the Steuerfahndung on my ass and I can't just up my rent by 20%. But that is also because here we don't think that double digit rent and house price inflation is the greatest thing in the entire world.
    I agree on the tax thing, I don't pay nearly as much tax. <mod snip:unhelpful>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Boater123 wrote: »
    In your opinion, to others it's pure common sense.

Wanting a copy of someone's passport, a P60, employer's reference and bank statements? Just no. It's not common sense, it's a recipe for identity theft.
    And what checks do your perform when searching for new tenants?

I'm not even sure anymore, my tenants have been in situ for donkey's years, one guy has lived here 20 years. (my parents let out the place to him) And I had to ask another to leave so I could move in, he was quite pissed off, because after 7 years he had barely begun to make himself at home. The other tenant is my mother, I'm not sure if you would ask your own mum for bank statements should she move into one of your own properties, but...
    As for checking out potential tenants, I can request a credit check from Schufa, for a small fee. It doesn't give me personal details, but if anyone has ever failed to pay for as much as a sandwich it will show up in there. It is very important to note that I can only request this when the contract is being drawn up, I cannot blanket demand this kind of information from every interested tenant, any more than I could demand it of random people in the street. Some LLs here do seem to ask for proof of income, but asking for bank statements is not very widespread practice.
    One set of tenants is quite new, only here 3 years, eastern Europeans and work in the same company, they all showed up with their Boss, so I guess that's all references in one. :D They've done up the place, helped my mum, are gone most weekends and other times you wouldn't know they're even here. And of course pay their rent on the button every time by bank-transfer (because any other way would be nuts and dodgy).Checks are necessary, but one also has to be a good judge of character.
    Deposits are max 3 months rent, to be held in a separate account, where no party may touch it until the end of the rental, so no shoving the deposit into my arse pocket and going shopping with it.
    That's some assumption!

Again, I'm not just talking about you. I read too many threads in the properties section of not just asking for private info such as bank statements, but LLs asking for the rent to be paid in cash only, coming for weekly checkups and of course an erosion of tenant's rights with short term contracts only and so on.
    God, I couldn't sleep with the stress of being a LL under those conditions. And it is quite clear that aside from dodgy tenants, there are many dodgy LLs out there. I am not for one second accusing you of this, you are very thorough and you said you would be upfront with information about yourself, I am just saying that people in search for accommodation shouldn't let themselves be gutted like kippers, just because the market is skewed in the LLs favour.
    In Germany you have the Mieterverbund, the tenant's organisation, a lobby group for tenants, and they make sure to speak up for their rights and that they're heard. I find that in Ireland consumers are notoriously badly organised and while there's a lot of grumbling and discontent, nothing much gets done about it, that's why everything is on average 20% more expensive. I earn less now than in IE and have more money in my pocket.
    I'm sure most LLs here will declare me nuts, but I think good legislation should go both ways. In Ireland it doesn't and not only is a lot of legislation terrible, but most people will make it their business to deliberately pervert and circumvent any rules and then complain that the system is broken. Rules are there to help everyone get along, they're not some kind of obstacle put in everyone's way that has to be somehow overcome and circumvented.
    The suggestion of working together in Ireland is a lot of the times met with "what's in it for me?!".
    OK, that was an OT rant, but it has been my subjective experience in Ireland. Feel free to disagree, this is not meant to be any kind of fact.
    I know you don't rent there but what's the common procedure concerning credit checks and tenancies there?

Aside from Schufa, yes, people do ask for proof of income and references, but again, I would draw the line at bank statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Discrimination is such a big word. Always thrown in to a housing discussion by I want free housing association

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I think you've nailed something here. 'one guy has lived here 20 years'.

I lived in my last property for a decade till they increased the rent by 50% totally legal market rent thing.

Irish landlords from my experience don't want a long term tenant at a reasonable price, they'd prefer to just get new ones for a rent increase. Will be interesting to see how that plays out with the new 4% restrictions.

Wanting a copy of someone's passport, a P60, employer's reference and bank statements? Just no. It's not common sense, it's a recipe for identity theft.

I'm not even sure anymore, my tenants have been in situ for donkey's years, one guy has lived here 20 years. (my parents let out the place to him) And I had to ask another to leave so I could move in, he was quite pissed off, because after 7 years he had barely begun to make himself at home. The other tenant is my mother, I'm not sure if you would ask your own mum for bank statements should she move into one of your own properties, but...
    As for checking out potential tenants, I can request a credit check from Schufa, for a small fee. It doesn't give me personal details, but if anyone has ever failed to pay for as much as a sandwich it will show up in there. It is very important to note that I can only request this when the contract is being drawn up, I cannot blanket demand this kind of information from every interested tenant, any more than I could demand it of random people in the street. Some LLs here do seem to ask for proof of income, but asking for bank statements is not very widespread practice.
    One set of tenants is quite new, only here 3 years, eastern Europeans and work in the same company, they all showed up with their Boss, so I guess that's all references in one. :D They've done up the place, helped my mum, are gone most weekends and other times you wouldn't know they're even here. And of course pay their rent on the button every time by bank-transfer (because any other way would be nuts and dodgy).Checks are necessary, but one also has to be a good judge of character.
    Deposits are max 3 months rent, to be held in a separate account, where no party may touch it until the end of the rental, so no shoving the deposit into my arse pocket and going shopping with it.

Again, I'm not just talking about you. I read too many threads in the properties section of not just asking for private info such as bank statements, but LLs asking for the rent to be paid in cash only, coming for weekly checkups and of course an erosion of tenant's rights with short term contracts only and so on.
    God, I couldn't sleep with the stress of being a LL under those conditions. And it is quite clear that aside from dodgy tenants, there are many dodgy LLs out there. I am not for one second accusing you of this, you are very thorough and you said you would be upfront with information about yourself, I am just saying that people in search for accommodation shouldn't let themselves be gutted like kippers, just because the market is skewed in the LLs favour.
    In Germany you have the Mieterverbund, the tenant's organisation, a lobby group for tenants, and they make sure to speak up for their rights and that they're heard. I find that in Ireland consumers are notoriously badly organised and while there's a lot of grumbling and discontent, nothing much gets done about it, that's why everything is on average 20% more expensive.
    I'm sure most LLs here will declare me nuts, but I think good legislation should go both ways. In Ireland it doesn't and not only is a lot of legislation terrible, but most people will make it their business to deliberately pervert and circumvent and rules and then complain that the system is broken. Rules are there to help everyone get along, they're not some kind of obstacle put in everyone's way that has to be somehow overcome and circumvented.
    The suggestion of working together in Ireland is a lot of the times met with "what's in it for me?!".

Aside from Schufa, yes, people do ask for

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's quite common to ask for bank statements or why would the majority of people coming to view my Berlin flat a few weeks ago have come armed with them?

In the big metropolitan areas in Germany there is a huge housing shortage at present, so tenants compete for places. It's different if you're talking about some small provincial places with little employment of course. There it's still a tenant's market and should remain so.

I want to see ability to pay. A SCHUFA is optimal but newcomers to Germany don't have them, so bank statements and work contracts have to suffice.

This is quite normal here in Berlin as are 3 months deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Aside from Schufa, yes, people do ask for proof of income and references, but again, I would draw the line at bank statements.

Of course you would, you've no need to request them, you've a credit referencing system to use. It renders most of your argument moot. We don't have this in Ireland, that's why bank statements are being requested. It seems you compatriot LL's require banks statements where credit referencing is not available, showing how perfectly sensible it is.
    gizmo81 wrote: »
    I think you've nailed something here. 'one guy has lived here 20 years'.

I lived in my last property for a decade till they increased the rent by 50% totally legal market rent thing.

Irish landlords from my experience don't want a long term tenant at a reasonable price, they'd prefer to just get new ones for a rent increase. Will be interesting to see how that plays out with the new 4% restrictions.

Edited due to OT

It's also ridiculous to suggest that employment references or bank statements are discriminatory. If someone is unemployed they won't have these, but a guaranteed payment for the state - so that is simply relied on. However it's not guaranteed, poorly administered and is one of the major reasons why LL's are reluctant to accept it. Again not LL's fault here, many of which including me would welcome a scheme where the property was taken off their hands at say 85% of market value - surprise, surprise, these schemes off a fraction of the rent and are again very poorly thought out, so much so as to be almost useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Thread is about documents requested by letting agents in Ireland. Please post on topic. Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Poor criticism, buy on credit and they're looking at more than just your wallet. You also managed to completely miss the point. If a LL has been stung for 10-50K or more in lost rent, legal fees and damage, tenants are ultimately footing the bill.

I responded in line with your comment. I'd also not going with credit, when a tenant needs to put money down upfront.
    that info doesnt prove you can pay

I was enough 3 times. I don't see why it wouldn't be now. If land lord's need better protection for some tenants that cause issues, they need to appeal to legislators for that support. You can't take it out on someone else who is just looking to rent, by requiring such excessive documentation.
    like wise goes for tenants. its the bad ones of which there are many who make it necessary to collect higher deposits and more personal info.

No it doesn't. No one should have more priviledge to access/review my information because they got hit by someone else. I didn't do it, why should I be exposed? Because you don't know whether or not I will? Get out of the business then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I have actually emailed Coveney Minister for Housing in regards to clarity over this. Looking for bank statements, employer references etc is all in contravention to the Equal Status Act 200-2015.

Looking for excessive information at application stage has already been clarified under existing data protection legislation. It's down to prospective tenants to complain to the Data Protection Commissioner where letting agencies need 're-educating':

Case Study 5: Excessive Data Collection by a Letting Agency
    In July 2014, a prospective tenant complained about the collection of bank details, PPS numbers and copies of utility bills by a letting agency when applying to rent a property.

====//====

We commenced an investigation of the matter with the letting agency concerned, seeking an explanation for the collection of such a broad range of personal data at application stage.

====//====

We accepted that personal data concerning bank details, PPS numbers and utility bills could be requested once the applicant had been accepted as a tenant.

====//====

This case study is a classic example of the temptation of some data controllers to collect a whole range of personal data in case they might need it in the future. In this case, the letting agency collected a significant amount of personal data from every applicant who expressed an interest in renting a property even though, at the end of the process, only one applicant could be accepted as the new tenant and it was only in the case of that successful applicant that the full range of personal data was required.

TLDR; if a letting agency/landlord is requesting excessive information at the application stage a complaint should be lodged with the data protection commissioner. Details how to do this are here: https://dataprotection.ie/docs/Making-a-Complaint-to-the-Data-Protection-Commissioner/r/18.htm

I responded in line with your comment. I'd also not going with credit, when a tenant needs to put money down upfront.

I was enough 3 times. I don't see why it wouldn't be now. If land lord's need better protection for some tenants that cause issues, they need to appeal to legislators for that support. You can't take it out on someone else who is just looking to rent, by requiring such excessive documentation.

No it doesn't. No one should have more priviledge to access/review my information because they got hit by someone else. I didn't do it, why should I be exposed? Because you don't know whether or not I will? Get out of the business then.

You're still completely missing the point. It's also been deemed to be proportionate once it's to at the reference check stage. I don't think anyone has suggested that it's reasonable at the viewing stage. It's further been shown to you that other countries do exactly the same thing, or have a credit referencing system in place, the latter being the preference.

Like everything it's a choice. If you don't like it don't rent from agencies or landlords that request it. It's ridiculous to suggest that legislation needs to be brought in here, it's a data protection issue and they've issued the appropriate, and quite sensible, advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You're still completely missing the point. It's also been deemed to be proportionate once it's to at the reference check stage. I don't think anyone has suggested that it's reasonable at the viewing stage. It's further been shown to you that other countries do exactly the same thing, or have a credit referencing system in place, the latter being the preference.

Like everything it's a choice. If you don't like it don't rent from agencies or landlords that request it. It's ridiculous to suggest that legislation needs to be brought in here, it's a data protection issue and they've issued the appropriate, and quite sensible, advice.

I'm not missing all that much to be honest. I didn't suggestion legislation should be in place to establish a justification for the Land Lord to obtain such data. It was alluding to defending them and enforcing the requirements of payment from a tenant. That's what the issue boils down to. get that addressed.

As you rightly said, I've a choice to produce it or not and my choice will continue to be on the side of not. I won't accept someone taking their frustrations from someone else out on me or anticipating me being set to rip them off. That doesn't make for a healthy Service Provider / Customer relationship.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm reading a thread that is mainly debating the pro's and con's of reference/ credit checks when applying for a tenancy.

Getting back to the OP's situation, how commonplace is the practise of EA and LL demanding this information prior to a viewing, and assuming it's not provided precludes one from a viewing?

OP, in your opening post you said more and more letting agents are requesting this info, but you did not say whether or not you have been denied a viewing because you haven't provided the info?

Have you been refused a viewing in such circumstances?

To respond to this, I haven't been denied a viewing without providing this, but I have been told it will be necessary if I am interested in the apartment and prior to an offer of tenancy.

Fwiw, as this poster suggested, I have emailed this complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner.
    Graham wrote: »
    Looking for excessive information at application stage has already been clarified under existing data protection legislation. It's down to prospective tenants to complain to the Data Protection Commissioner where letting agencies need 're-educating':

Case Study 5: Excessive Data Collection by a Letting Agency

TLDR; if a letting agency/landlord is requesting excessive information at the application stage a complaint should be lodged with the data protection commissioner. Details how to do this are here: https://dataprotection.ie/docs/Making-a-Complaint-to-the-Data-Protection-Commissioner/r/18.htm

aloooof wrote: »
    Fwiw, as this poster suggest, I have emailed this complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner.

Good to hear aloooof. The more people that do this, the better.

A quick look through Daft and I see one or two auctioneers that are either ignoring or are ignorant of their obligations. A friendly reminder from the DPC should be enough to bring most back in line.

I'm not missing all that much to be honest. I didn't suggestion legislation should be in place to establish a justification for the Land Lord to obtain such data. It was alluding to defending them and enforcing the requirements of payment from a tenant. That's what the issue boils down to. get that addressed.

As you rightly said, I've a choice to produce it or not and my choice will continue to be on the side of not. I won't accept someone taking their frustrations from someone else out on me or anticipating me being set to rip them off. That doesn't make for a healthy Service Provider / Customer relationship.

It's great you realise more needs to be done. Until that happens it's not a frustration it's a necessary check. The relationship is dysfunctional, not because of the parties involved but simply because the proper systems and protections are not in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Was happy to give a bank statement with everything redacted apart from my work income (which matched my payslip).

To respond to this, I haven't been denied a viewing without providing this, but I have been told it will be necessary if I am interested in the apartment and prior to an offer of tenancy.

Fwiw, as this poster suggested, I have emailed this complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner.

What do you or they mean by "interested in the apartment"? To me, the only way I could be interested in taking the apartment is if I viewed it.

A LA could never seriously consider someone who has never seen the property as "interested". More like a time waster who is "spotting" property. (Someone who offers on many unseen properties at the same time, in order to try stop anyone else from getting them, allowing them time to consider all properties or have a plan B if they don't get their first choice property)

What do you or they mean by "interested in the apartment"? To me, the only way I could be interested in taking the apartment is if I viewed it.

A LA could never seriously consider someone who has never seen the property as "interested". More like a time waster who is "spotting" property. (Someone who offers on many unseen properties at the same time, in order to try stop anyone else from getting them, allowing them time to consider all properties or have a plan B if they don't get their first choice property)

Nowhere in my post did I suggest of even imply that this was not the case. Only after viewing should you be able to register your interest to be considered for tenancy. Equally, you may not wish to be considered if you don't like that place. That was simply all I meant.

And this is the crux of where my original complaint comes from. Letting Agents are questing Bank Statements and Payslips from all applicants who have viewed the apartment and express an interest in tenancy.

Fwiw, I think this statement demonstrates the whole argument:
    A LA could never seriously consider someone who has never seen the property as "interested".
    They would never consider them as "interested" and yet they are requesting Bank Statements and Payslips from them.

Good to hear aloooof. The more people that do this, the better.

A quick look through Daft and I see one or two auctioneers that are either ignoring or are ignorant of their obligations. A friendly reminder from the DPC should be enough to bring most back in line.

Looked the first page of a daft search for Dublin property to rent under 2k. 20 properties.

Two suggested an email with your name, how many tenants and a brief description of references.

None mentioned payslips or bank statements at all, never mind that this information is required prior to a viewing.

Any chance of linking these properties that have agents that need reminding of their breech of Data protection legislation?

• Advertisement

Looked the first page of a daft search for Dublin property to rent under 2k. 20 properties.

Two suggested an email with your name, how many tenants and a brief description of references.

None mentioned payslips or bank statements at all, never mind that this information is required prior to a viewing.

Any chance of linking these properties that have agents that need reminding of their breech of Data protection legislation?

In my case, these requests weren't on the specific daft ads, but on the follow up mails from the LA.

An advanced search on Daft for obvious terms like PRSI, Statement etc. etc. brings back a few.

It's not widespread but there's a handful of agencies ignoring/oblivious to the DP implications and others trying to skirt around the legalities by stating the information will be destroyed if the applicant is unsuccessful.

Anecdotally, it appears agencies may be specifying the excessive requirements in private rather than quite so publicly.

And this is the crux of where my original complaint comes from. Letting Agents are questing Bank Statements and Payslips from all applicants who have viewed the apartment and express an interest in tenancy.

The thread is titled "prior to booking", you brought it up several times, you went so far as to make a data protection complaint.

I would say it was the whole point of your original post.

Are you now saying the opposite, that the LA was not demanding the info prior to viewing?

An advanced search on Daft for obvious terms like PRSI, Statement etc. etc. brings back a few.

It's not widespread but there's a handful of agencies ignoring/oblivious to the DP implications and others trying to skirt around the legalities by stating the information will be destroyed if the applicant is unsuccessful.

Anecdotally, it appears agencies may be specifying the excessive requirements in conversation rather than quite so publicly.

So not a quick daft search then,

OK, advanced search gave this:
    • Sorry, but your search for properties to let for less than €2,000 per month in Dublin City that contain the text 'PRSI' yielded no results.
    • Sorry, but your search for properties to let for less than €2,000 per month in Dublin City that contain the text 'statement' yielded no results.
    • Sorry, but your search for properties to let for less than €2,000 per month in Dublin City that contain the text 'payslip' yielded no results.

Am I doing something wrong here?

So not a quick daft search then,

OK, advanced search gave this:

Three quick searches took me about 60 seconds, certainly enough to show me it's going on.

I'm not sure why it's taking you longer or why you've picked a couple of arbitrary filters either.

The thread is titled "prior to booking", you brought it up several times, you went so far as to make a data protection complaint.

I would say it was the whole point of your original post.

Are you now saying the opposite, that the LA was not demanding the info prior to viewing?

The thread title also says "requesting", not demanding. I feel I've been pretty clear about all of this, but to re-cap the salient points:
    - I refused to provide Bank Statements and Payslips prior to viewing.
    - This didn't prevent me from viewing the apartment but was told I would need to send on this information on at the application stage.
    - Given this requirement, I decided not to proceed with a viewing, and lodged a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner.

Fwiw, I was also emailed an official document from this particular LA that specifically stated that 3 months of Bank Statements and Payslips would be required at the application stage.

To summarise:
    - They are requesting it from each person who wishes to arrange a viewing.
    - They are requiring it from each applicant.

Are you suggesting that this doesn't warrant a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner?

Three quick searches took me about 60 seconds, certainly enough to show me it's going on.

I'm not sure why it's taking you longer or why you've picked a couple of arbitrary filters either.

I put two filter's, 2k, as I thought it pointless to look at ad's for properties that were renting for 7.5k per month. And Dublin city for obvious reasons

The keywords were yours plus one or two of my own, similar to yours.

The bullet pointed text was cut and paste from daft.ie

So I did as you now suggest and advanced searched all property in Dublin City and this is what came up
    • Sorry, but your search for properties to let in Dublin City that contain the text 'statement' yielded no results.
    • Sorry, but your search for properties to let in Dublin City that contain the text 'prsi' yielded no results.
    • Sorry, but your search for properties to let in Dublin City that contain the text 'payslip' yielded no results.
    • Sorry, but your search for properties to let in Dublin City that contain the text 'P60' yielded no results.

So then I searched all property in all of Ireland with just the word (your word)"statement" One estate agent with two properties on their books said:

"Please note that all potential tenants must provide the following information:
    - Photo ID (passport or driving licence)
    - Previous landlord reference
    - PPS number (for RTB registration)
    - Bank statement (for Standing Order)a"

Nothing about prior to a viewing

What am I doing wrong on daft Graham? I'm very interested in finding out how common the practice of demanding aforementioned info prior to a viewing is? Could you link to the ad's that show this?

Could you link to the ad's that show this?

No, I'm not about to start outing any agents on Boards.
    Nothing about prior to a viewing

What am I doing wrong on daft Graham? I'm very interested in finding out how common the practice of demanding aforementioned info prior to a viewing is?

Some of the ads are undoubtedly open to interpretation. Is a potential tenant someone applying or someone offered a tenancy? Both?

"All Potential Tenants" is less ambiguous.

A quick search about 20 seconds ago returns 14 results.

Potentially Contravening DP Legislation:
    All potential tenants must provide the following information:
    - Photo ID (passport & driving licence)
    - Previous landlord references
    - PPS number (for RTB registration)
    - Bank statement (for Standing Order)
    Applicants will be required to supply the following documents; previous landlord reference, bank reference, photo identification, PPS number.

While some get it right:
    Final tenant will be asked for proof of PPS number in order to process PRTB registration. All references and data will be used solely in relation to the letting.

Curiously, the one agency that specifically mentioned only 'retaining the information temporarily' has now removed all references to it.

The thread title also says "requesting", not demanding. I feel I've been pretty clear about all of this, but to re-cap the salient points:
    - I refused to provide Bank Statements and Payslips prior to viewing.
    - This didn't prevent me from viewing the apartment but was told I would need to send on this information on at the application stage.
    - Given this requirement, I decided not to proceed with a viewing, and lodged a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner.

Fwiw, I was also emailed an official document from this particular LA that specifically stated that 3 months of Bank Statements and Payslips would be required at the application stage.

To summarise:
    - They are requesting it from each person who wishes to arrange a viewing.
    - They are requiring it from each applicant.

Are you suggesting that this doesn't warrant a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner?

Require and demand are synonyms, repetitive use of the same word is tedious and considered poor syntax.

You may feel the points you have made were the salient ones here, but just as important is how did they ask/ request/ demand (without menaces of course) the info at the time of request for a viewing? Was it said in a phone call? Was it in a reply email? Was it written on a notice in their office?

I can't get your point about them requesting it prior but having no problem showing you any property without you supplying it. It just does not make sense.

• Advertisement

I can't get your point about them requesting it prior but having no problem showing you any property without you supplying it. It just does not make sense.

I'm not sure why you're getting such a bee in your bonnet about this.

It's not unreasonable to expect any professional letting agency to be very specific about the stage further documentation is required. To do otherwise leaves the agency open to receiving personal data they have no right receiving.

It's not rocket science:

The successful applicant for this property will be required to submit ...A...B...C... prior to the commencement of a tenancy.

Advertisement