Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd baby - less active than 1st in utero

Options
  • 06-04-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant on my second baby. I have noticed that this baby seems much less active than my first baby. I was slower to feel movement in the first place and I definitely feel that I felt my daughter moving around a lot more at the same stage. The baby does move and I do feel it daily, I’m just a bit worried that he/she seems a bit more sluggish than my first. Is it normal that babies move around different amounts in utero? Or could it be a sign that something is amiss? I am at the nurse in my GP’s office tomorrow so will mention it to her, but to be honest, I hate mentioning stuff like this to her, because I’ve found in the past she’s made a big deal over little things I’ve mentioned in the past and I find it stresses me out more!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

I'm pregnant with my first and haven't felt any movement at all yet, but my OH's mam was telling me that he moved around and was kicking loads when she was pregnant with him but his sister was a lot quieter and didn't move as much. He was the second baby so obviously less of a worry that way around. I think they say that once its consistent for that baby then its ok? But if you're concerned just ask your nurse/GP or midwife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

All I can tell you is my experience. My first was on the go constantly from 14 weeks. I didn't hear or feel from the second until I was past 20 weeks and thereafter only very rarely... until the very final few weeks of course.
    In fact that pretty much reflects their personalities too! Lol :-)
    If you were worried I would flag it with the gp. They may have better idea as to how much movement should be expected by now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ditto my experience.....my first kicked and thumped her way from 15 weeks to 40 weeks.My second moved but I realised in the second trimester, she wasn't a kicker.She did shift around but she didn't kick the way the first did!
    Also second time round you are more distracted and maybe less aware of movements.That being said, my first is an always-on, constant-motion,toddler now and has been since birth.My second is far quieter and more contemplative and generally a bit more serious.So it does reflect their personalities a bit.
    But you know OP, always bring it up with the medical people if you feel worried anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks everyone, the movement is definitely consistent, just not as frequent or violent as with the first! I thought I might have a lazy lump of a boy in there! Interesting to think it could mean a calm baby, here's hoping!

I will mention it to the nurse tomorrow, but she is a bit full on when you mention stuff like that. When I was BF my daughter and she was a bit off her food, I mentioned it to her and she kept ringing me and had it in her notes and kept mentioning it every time I was in! I was sorry I said anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, the movement is definitely consistent, just not as frequent or violent as with the first! I thought I might have a lazy lump of a boy in there! Interesting to think it could mean a calm baby, here's hoping!

I will mention it to the nurse tomorrow, but she is a bit full on when you mention stuff like that. When I was BF my daughter and she was a bit off her food, I mentioned it to her and she kept ringing me and had it in her notes and kept mentioning it every time I was in! I was sorry I said anything!

The hospitals are so good that if you're any way worried go in for a check!

That being said do you know where your placenta is positioned? Depending on its position it can really muffle the movements and kicks.
    Mine was in front on my second pregnancy until around 25 weeks so movement though consistent was muffled. Once it moved jeez did I know all about it!! Violent! Number 1 was violent thumping from beginning to end :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

This is my second and definitely a lot quieter than number one, I'm 29 weeks now and mentioned it at my last appointment and she said the important thing is to know the pattern of your baby and not to compare them to each other! My first was a stargazer so this could also be why I felt more kicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I wouldn't worry too much once it's consistent. My son was a roller and tumbler, so movements weren't that noticeable till the end. This little lady likes to beat me up from the inside all day, completely different!

Advertisement