Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir fibre broadband in Ballinderreen, Kilcolgan, Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pbbuster

igloo wrote: »
    Pbbuster - hope you get sorted soon!

We had the Eir rep call to us this week, apparently the cabinet is on a pole on our road (Pollagh).
    How do I know we wont encounter the same hardware restrictions that pbbuster has?

Thanks

The cabinet is looks like a little shoe box! Trouble is the eir cabling goes underground about 1/4 away from our house, so when the house was built a pipe was put down from the road up to near front door, now according to my husband this pipe is quite big but a smaller piece of hydrodare was used to bring it into the house but this pipe is quite short, so we may need to break out a bit of the footpath or maybe a. "Experienced" KN technician would have an idea!!! I think we just got unlucky with the technician who called last week, it was obvious he didn't have a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Pbbuster wrote: »

We had the Eir rep call to us this week, apparently the cabinet is on a pole on our road (Pollagh).  
    How do I know we wont encounter the same hardware restrictions that pbbuster has?

Thanks

The cabinet is looks like a little shoe box! Trouble is the eir  cabling goes  underground about 1/4 away from our house, so when the house was built a pipe was put down from the road up to near front door, now according to my husband this pipe is quite big but a smaller piece of hydrodare was used to bring it into the house but this pipe is quite short, so we may need to break out a bit of the footpath or maybe a. "Experienced" KN technician would have an idea!!! I think we just got unlucky with the technician who called last week, it was obvious he didn't have a clue!
    I'm sorry to hear this Pbbuster.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you from here.

-Anna

Thanks
    Hi igloo,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We would have no way of advising you on your installation until an order has been placed and a technician has gone out to your home as installations differ.

Thanks,
    Anna

Thanks

Hi Igloo,

If your current phone line is connected overground you shouldn't really run into the same problems as us!

Have you put in the order yet?

Hi can an eir rep pm me please need to book an engineer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Efibre, also called fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) uses the green cabinet. This wont get to Ballindereen.

What you want is fibre extreme, fibre to the home (FTTH). This is what the adverts for 1000mbs are. It is coming to Ballindereen, and doesnt use a green cabinet.

It can be pre ordered now. It should be live around May 3rd. They cant get you an install date until it goes live so hang on another week or so then you should be good.

Which is better then? Ftth or fftc? I've been googling and can't find answer! I'm worried I'll order ftth and it'll be more expensive than the ordinary broadband but not much faster!!! I'm in Ballinderreen/Kilcolgan but about 2km from exchange in Kilcolgan and get 12 Mbps
    Eir's FTTH (Fibre to the home) is the best broadband in the country (maybe even Europe, or the world). It is cutting edge tech and future proof. You can get speeds of up to 1,000mbps. It literally is a fibre cable that runs directly into your house so you don't lose speed at a high rate in the way the old tech did.  

It comes in speeds shown below (broadband only packages) if you want a landline call package added to it, add around €20 to the price. 

150 = €55
    300 = €63
    1,000 = €75 

So even the cheapest / slowest option is over tens times faster than what you have. 

No I don't work for Eir I just think the product is really good :) 

Now the issue for you is that if you are in an FTTC area, which I have a feeling you are if you are already getting 12mbps (that is about the right speed for FTTC at 2km). then it is unlikely they will be installing FTTH right now. 

They are trying to get FTTH to the areas outside the 2km FTTC radius. You might get lucky if you are close to a splitter box, have a look at the poles nearby for a hefty looking black box about the size of a large shoe box. I've attached a pic of the one outside my house. You will see these all over the area where FTTH is going to be available, you won't see them in around the villages. If you are between Kilcolgan and Ballindereen villages there is a chance you might be near one.  

But you won't really know until the 3rd May. At that point stick your number/address into the system and it will tell you if speeds of up to 1000 are available. 

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/
    Hi Grumpypants,

Thank you for your feedback. :D 
    Please feel free to get in touch if you have any further queries.

Thanks, 
    Leanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 igloo

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Hi igloo,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We would have no way of advising you on your installation until an order has been placed and a technician has gone out to your home as installations differ.

Thanks,

Anna

Hi Anna

Order now in place

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 igloo

Hi Igloo,

If your current phone line is connected overground you shouldn't really run into the same problems as us!

Have you put in the order yet?

Yes overground, order placed. Hope you are up and running now. Cheers

Yes overground, order placed. Hope you are up and running now. Cheers

I'll let you know this time next Wednesday!!! 🀞ðŸ¼

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Hey guys, I am living in Oakwood. Apparently there were some Eir engineers with cones walking around the estate today. I wasn't here so didn't see them. Any ideas what the plan is for here? Have any of the rest of you successfully got FTTH installed yet?

• Advertisement

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am living in Oakwood. Apparently there were some Eir engineers with cones walking around the estate today. I wasn't here so didn't see them. Any ideas what the plan is for here? Have any of the rest of you successfully got FTTH installed yet?

I seen KN engineers installing in Drumacoo and
    as far as I know all went well! I was in the village today and there was definitely engineers doing something with cabling around O'Connors pub!

Are there poles in the estate for Eir or are they underground?

I seen KN engineers installing in Drumacoo and
    as far as I know all went well! I was in the village today and there was definitely engineers doing something with cabling around O'Connors pub!

Are there poles in the estate for Eir or are they underground?
    I don't think there are poles, as the estate was built in 2006, so probably all underground. I'll take a wander tomorrow and see for sure.

Yeah I noticed an unmarked yellow van on my way to work early this morning. Massive tubes on the back and cones, etc.

See attached for a snap my CCTV got of them. I guess that round yokey is for measuring distance?

417206.JPG
    My question is, what kind of time frame should we expect from now until connection? It would be ducting as there are no poles here.

See attached for a snap my CCTV got of them. I guess that round yokey is for measuring distance?

417206.JPG
    My question is, what kind of time frame should we expect from now until connection? It would be ducting as there are no poles here.

That's them lads alright! Once cabling done it would be fairly soon I'd think! Ask them if they are around again, or once cabling done one if the reps here should be able to tell you!

That's them lads alright! Once cabling done it would be fairly soon I'd think! Ask them if they are around again, or once cabling done one if the reps here should be able to tell you!

That would be fantastic!

Can you tell me what you mean by "cabling done"?

I think what they did the other day was ducting fibre right around the estate. So I guess it's at my kerb now. Does that mean ordering can begin?

That would be fantastic!

Can you tell me what you mean by "cabling done"?

I think what they did the other day was ducting fibre right around the estate. So I guess it's at my kerb now. Does that mean ordering can begin?

I'd ring 1901 on Monday and preorder and I'd guess they'd be able to tell you when it's going live

Engineers in the estate this morning said it should go live in the next 1-2 weeks. Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi there, 

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your line number or address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. I would recommend registering your details on the above link and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

Thanks, 
    Leanne.

Thanks Leanne,
    When I put my Eircode into the first link, it says:
    "Great news. Your premises is on open eir’s 300k rural fibre rollout programme. We expect fibre broadband to be available to you by the first half of 2017."
    So I guess that must mean very soon?

If you would like me to look further into this for you, can you please PM me your eircode?

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

Thanks Leanne,
    "Great news. Your premises is on open eir’s 300k rural fibre rollout programme. We expect fibre broadband to be available to you by the first half of 2017."

Any update?

Hi Pbbuster,

I have replied to your PM.

-Anna

Thanks Leanne,

Any update?

Anna replied to me via PM (thanks Anna) and said my Eircode shows no plans for fibre even though that conflicts with the message I quote above from the fibrerrollout.ie site. I guess I will wait another week or two and see if our area becomes live!

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

I can see that your estate is on the rollout plan, however, there is no currently estimated date.

I would highly recommend registering your details here and you will be notified when this becomes available.

Thanks,
    Anna

All the Eircom manholes have been marked around the estate.

418431.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bookmad

Well it is a pity when they where installing it they left out areas that has houses... 

Left out of the Loop again.

So now looking at alternatives.
    s!AuvTZ6pbxlzItWOUfQDlQFKoUqE_

Is that in Oakwood?

Is that in Oakwood?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bookmad

No it is Kilcolgan/ Drumacoo/ Area.

They did not come around this side or continue the other.

• Advertisement

bookmad wrote: »
    No it is Kilcolgan/ Drumacoo/ Area.

They did not come around this side or continue the other.
    I thought most of Drumacoo/Tyrone was covered

Advertisement