Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir fibre broadband in Ballinderreen, Kilcolgan, Galway

Options
  • 16-04-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,
    I also live in Ballinderreen, the eir line checker says it's available to me, but after contacting customer service they have told me it won't be live till 3rd if May, I have pre ordered, did you check the map, I know all areas aren't covered, its patchy in spots

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi there, 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your line number or address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. I would recommend registering your details on the above link and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

Thanks, 
    Leanne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

Hi there, 

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your line number or address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. I would recommend registering your details on the above link and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

Thanks, 
    Leanne. 

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pbbuster

Deleted post
    Hi,

I know they have updated the cabling in Drumacoo, Tyrone, Killenaran, Mulroog and Pollock, so would think these areas at least should be ready for fibre soon! Is your address on the rollout map?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Deleted post

Efibre, also called fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) uses the green cabinet. This wont get to Ballindereen.

What you want is fibre extreme, fibre to the home (FTTH). This is what the adverts for 1000mbs are. It is coming to Ballindereen, and doesnt use a green cabinet.

It can be pre ordered now. It should be live around May 3rd. They cant get you an install date until it goes live so hang on another week or so then you should be good.

Efibre, also called fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) uses the green cabinet. This wont get to Ballindereen.

What you want is fibre extreme, fibre to the home (FTTH). This is what the adverts for 1000mbs are. It is coming to Ballindereen, and doesnt use a green cabinet.

It can be pre ordered now. It should be live around May 3rd. They cant get you an install date until it goes live so hang on another week or so then you should be good.

Which is better then? Ftth or fftc? I've been googling and can't find answer! I'm worried I'll order ftth and it'll be more expensive than the ordinary broadband but not much faster!!! I'm in Ballinderreen/Kilcolgan but about 2km from exchange in Kilcolgan and get 12 Mbps

• Advertisement

Pbbuster wrote: »

Which is better then? Ftth or fftc? I've been googling and can't find answer! I'm worried I'll order ftth and it'll be more expensive than the ordinary broadband but not much faster!!! I'm in Ballinderreen/Kilcolgan but about 2km from exchange in Kilcolgan and get 12 Mbps
    Eir's FTTH (Fibre to the home) is the best broadband in the country (maybe even Europe, or the world). It is cutting edge tech and future proof. You can get speeds of up to 1,000mbps. It literally is a fibre cable that runs directly into your house so you don't lose speed at a high rate in the way the old tech did.  

It comes in speeds shown below (broadband only packages) if you want a landline call package added to it, add around €20 to the price. 

150 = €55
    300 = €63
    1,000 = €75 

So even the cheapest / slowest option is over tens times faster than what you have. 

No I don't work for Eir I just think the product is really good :) 

Now the issue for you is that if you are in an FTTC area, which I have a feeling you are if you are already getting 12mbps (that is about the right speed for FTTC at 2km). then it is unlikely they will be installing FTTH right now. 

They are trying to get FTTH to the areas outside the 2km FTTC radius. You might get lucky if you are close to a splitter box, have a look at the poles nearby for a hefty looking black box about the size of a large shoe box. I've attached a pic of the one outside my house. You will see these all over the area where FTTH is going to be available, you won't see them in around the villages. If you are between Kilcolgan and Ballindereen villages there is a chance you might be near one.  

But you won't really know until the 3rd May. At that point stick your number/address into the system and it will tell you if speeds of up to 1000 are available. 

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Eir's FTTH (Fibre to the home) is the best broadband in the country (maybe even Europe, or the world). It is cutting edge tech and future proof. You can get speeds of up to 1,000mbps. It literally is a fibre cable that runs directly into your house so you don't lose speed at a high rate in the way the old tech did.  

It comes in speeds shown below (broadband only packages) if you want a landline call package added to it, add around €20 to the price. 

150 = €55
    300 = €63
    1,000 = €75 

So even the cheapest / slowest option is over tens times faster than what you have. 

No I don't work for Eir I just think the product is really good :) 

Now the issue for you is that if you are in an FTTC area, which I have a feeling you are if you are already getting 12mbps (that is about the right speed for FTTC at 2km). then it is unlikely they will be installing FTTH right now. 

They are trying to get FTTH to the areas outside the 2km FTTC radius. You might get lucky if you are close to a splitter box, have a look at the poles nearby for a hefty looking black box about the size of a large shoe box. I've attached a pic of the one outside my house. You will see these all over the area where FTTH is going to be available, you won't see them in around the villages. If you are between Kilcolgan and Ballindereen villages there is a chance you might be near one.  

But you won't really know until the 3rd May. At that point stick your number/address into the system and it will tell you if speeds of up to 1000 are available. 

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/
    Hi Grumpypants,

Thanks for your comment.

I couldn't have said it better myself :D

-Anna

Had a look on my drive in this morning, it doesn't look good if you are on the main road between Ballindereen and Kilcolgan, the only place I saw a splitter box was on a side road. There was a left turn a little bit before the Blake Manor sign and I spotted a box on that road. 

There has been an eir rep calling house to house in the Pollock, Mulroog and Tyrone area today asking people if they want to upgrade to the efibre extreme

Due to the area going live shortly, eir reps would be knocking around these areas to see if customers would be interested in the service if they are eligible.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Due to the area going live shortly, eir reps would be knocking around these areas to see if customers would be interested in the service if they are eligible.

Thanks,
    Anna

I've pre ordered, when should I get an installation appointment

You should receive an appointment date after the area goes live for eFibre.

If you are yet to receive an appointment after this please feel free to PM us your account number and we will follow this up for you.

Thanks,
    Anna

Getting my ftth installed tomorrow! Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!!!

Me too woohooo

Me too woohooo

I know, it's unbelievable, I was driving home from
    Kilcolgan around 11.30 met KN van, stopped and guy said it was up and running but they were just doing final test. Came home send PM to eir rep Anna on here, she sent back message at 1.15 with an appointment for Monday, KN thrn rang at
    1.55 to say they could install tomorrow if it suited me! Thrilled!

I'm also getting deal on iPhone 7 adding it to my bundle!!!! I'm delighted with eir, never ever thought I'd say that, their customer service and attitude has improved emensly in the last few years!!

Me too woohooo
    I'm delighted to hear this.

Please feel free to let us know how you got on :)

Thanks,
    Anna

Me too woohooo

I know, it's unbelievable, I was driving home from
    Kilcolgan around 11.30 met KN van, stopped and guy said it was up and running but they were just doing final test. Came home send PM to eir rep Anna on here, she sent back message at 1.15 with an appointment for Monday, KN thrn rang at
    1.55 to say they could install tomorrow if it suited me! Thrilled!

I'm also getting deal on iPhone 7 adding it to my bundle!!!! I'm delighted with eir, never ever thought I'd say that, their customer service and attitude has improved emensly in the last few years!!
    We're very thankful for your feedback and look forward to hearing from you when your installation is completed :)

Thanks,
    Anna

We're very thankful for your feedback and look forward to hearing from you when your installation is completed :)

Thanks,
    Anna
    I'm delighted to hear this.

Please feel free to let us know how you got on :)

Thanks,
    Anna

What a heap of muck, they have said they can't do it as pipe is too thin, never heard such ****e in my whole life, now I've just pulled off skirting board, chipped paint and I'm stuck with a crap service.....

Absolutely raging, would have moved to magnet 18 months ago if I'd have known this!!

I've been nothing but messed around by eir since they said fibre was coming to this area, absolute joke!!!

I'm very sorry to hear this Pbbuster.

I will look into this as soon as the technician's notes have come back to us and I will update as soon as I hear back.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.

Thanks,
    Anna

I will look into this as soon as the technician's notes have come back to us and I will update as soon as I hear back.

Thanks,
    Anna

All the tens of thousands of Euro spent bringing the cabling down my road and he can't install because of a pipe! Even worse he won't try, expected us to pull wire up ourselves, so now I have to wait for that lad to submit a report, any fear eir would use modern technology and use a telephone to call him!!!!

• Advertisement

I completely understand your frustration and I do apologise.

Once I have an update on this I will be in touch with you through PM's.

-Anna

I completely understand your frustration and I do apologise.

Once I have an update on this I will be in touch with you through PM's.

-Anna

Any update would be appreciated, I am desperately disappointed, hate the thought of having to go down the road of changing providers.... but looks like I'll have to

I am very sorry about this.

I should have an update for you by tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Anna

I am very sorry about this.

I should have an update for you by tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Anna

I'll be waiting for your reply

No problem.

Thanks,
    Anna

No problem.

Thanks,
    Anna

Anna,

Can you check is there any notes on my account!

I'm afraid the notes have not yet updated on this and I will be in touch with you as soon as I have an update.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 8 igloo

Pbbuster - hope you get sorted soon!

We had the Eir rep call to us this week, apparently the cabinet is on a pole on our road (Pollagh).
    How do I know we wont encounter the same hardware restrictions that pbbuster has?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks,
    Anna

All the tens of thousands of Euro spent bringing the cabling down my road and he can't install because of a pipe! Even worse he won't try, expected us to pull wire up ourselves, so now I have to wait for that lad to submit a report, any fear eir would use modern technology and use a telephone to call him!!!!
    Its breach of contract for Eir to phone him. Totally forbidden.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Its breach of contract for Eir to phone him. Totally forbidden.

Crazy, a bit of communication could save these companies tens of thousands of euro

Advertisement