Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Blocks per day?? and pillars foundation

Options
  • 06-04-2017 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Just got a foundation finished for a wall I am building, trying to gauge how long i will be at it vs getting a bricky in and laboring for him

Its about a 1000 blocks to get me to ground level, will be 4" blocks on the flat.

Since there is plenty to lay before they will be visible leaves me some room for error to get some practice in. So how many a day would I be able to lay, or maybe better question what does and apprentice average around in their first week? 50-100 blocks?

Second part of the question. looking to build pillars with 4" split faced blocks on the side(vertically not on the flat) like below
    [____][_]
    [_][____]
    [____][_]
    [_][____]
    [____][_]
    [_][____]
    What is the best way to lay blocks below ground? Should I start same patter all the way from foundation? or should I try lay them on the flat some way until I break ground

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

for the crack :)

_________ _________
    [____][_] [____][_]
    [_][____] [_][____]
    [____][_] [____][_]
    [_][____]______________________________________ [_][____]
    [____][_][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][_]
    [_][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][_][____]
    [_][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][_]
    [____][_][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][_][____]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

for the crack :)

_________
    [____][_]
    [_][____]
    [____][_]
    [_][____]______________________________________
    [____][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][_]
    [_][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][_][____]
    [____][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][_]
    [_ ][_ ][____][____][____][____][____][____][____][_][____]
    LHS only done
    don't know why it skewed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

That's a fair few blocks just to get to ground level - must be some length of wall? As to how long, depends if you have help. If you're working on your own, you spend a good bit of time just labouring i.e. carrying blocks to where you're using them, stacking, making up mortar, cleaning mixer etc.

I did a bit of block laying (cavity wall) a few months ago on my own and was managing about 50 a day. But wasn't working a full day and taking it handy as the back isn't as good as it once was. You'll use more mortar laying them on the flat so more mixes too.

That's a fair few blocks just to get to ground level - must be some length of wall? As to how long, depends if you have help. If you're working on your own, you spend a good bit of time just labouring i.e. carrying blocks to where you're using them, stacking, making up mortar, cleaning mixer etc.

I did a bit of block laying (cavity wall) a few months ago on my own and was managing about 50 a day. But wasn't working a full day and taking it handy as the back isn't as good as it once was. You'll use more mortar laying them on the flat so more mixes too.

Yeah its about 50m long about 20m off it being for a foindation. Its about 90cm to bring it to ground level and about another 20-40cm to bring it level to the house

I have loada filling on top of **** ground and took some depth to hit solid ground for foundation so im fairly deep to begin with

And 50 a day ill be there all summer :) might give it a go see how i get on.
    What you think about the pillars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

And 50 a day ill be there all summer :) might give it a go see how i get on.
    What you think about the pillars?

Just stagger your joints and it'll be fine. I'm fairly sure I was looking at some foundation work a while back and the lads had laid blocks on the flat two deep. i.e. they were only staggering the bond every two courses. Ideally you aim for an even stagger in the bonding but you'd often see places where it's only a third or a quarter of a block for handiness in completing a course. You can overthink these things - as long as the base is solid, you've enough mortar in the joints and the blocks are reasonably level and vertical - they'll likely be far more substantial than what is really needed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dermobrickie

For the peirs it depends if it a 9" or 4" thick peir?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

I think blocks on the flat tend to come apart. If you want to do a decent job use the 9"hollow blocks and fill with concrete after. It sounds like it might be a retaining wall so I would consider steel reinforcing. 200 of these a day
    good luck

For the peirs it depends if it a 9" or 4" thick peir?

What ever is best, above ground it has to be 4inch on their side because of the split face

What I was thinking is to build the peirs from foundation using 4inch on their side which will creaty a cavity, throw bit of steel in(height of completed pillar) a few blocks and fill it with bit concrete.
    So the peir would be 55cm square and from each side then run the 4inch on the flat for the wall.

For the retention part of the wall where it will have some load, between the peirs, build up blocks perpendicular to the wall.

its hard to describe without drawing, something like below (view from above)

..............................................................____
    ________.................................................|....|
    |...........|______________________________|....|__________________
    |peir......|...............4inch on the flat...........|....|..<--retention support
    |_______|

I think blocks on the flat tend to come apart. If you want to do a decent job use the 9"hollow blocks and fill with concrete after. It sounds like it might be a retaining wall so I would consider steel reinforcing. 200 of these a day
    good luck

What about my post above this, keeping them on the flat but use a bit of steel in the mortar betwwen the blocks? every 3rd row maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Why not pour concrete up to ground level ?

whizbang wrote: »
    Why not pour concrete up to ground level ?
    the cost and overkill
    took 14m3 to do 300mm foundation. to bring it to ground level ya would need 1200m which would be around 3.5k for 56m3

What ever is best, above ground it has to be 4inch on their side because of the split face

What I was thinking is to build the peirs from foundation using 4inch on their side which will creaty a cavity, throw bit of steel in(height of completed pillar) a few blocks and fill it with bit concrete.
    So the peir would be 55cm square and from each side then run the 4inch on the flat for the wall.

For the retention part of the wall where it will have some load, between the peirs, build up blocks perpendicular to the wall.

its hard to describe without drawing, something like below (view from above)

..............................................................____
    ________.................................................|....|
    |peir......|...............4inch on the flat...........|....|..<--retention support
    |_______|

Sorry man can't get my head round this. Is it a retaining wall? If u want u can pm me a pic and might be able to advise better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

50m is a huge wall. Honestly sounds like concrete would be a better option to get to ground. Or lots of time on your hands. If you you want to make it cheaper mix the concrete yourself with a rental mixer . Would be less time than what you are planning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It's hard work at that low level and important that it's Square. I've done my block shed and I was getting about 50/55 per time above ground took about 2/3 hours, but it's dead level. I'm a sparks by trade but not sure if I'd do it again as it was a big project to me.

Sorry man can't get my head round this. Is it a retaining wall? If u want u can pm me a pic and might be able to advise better.

cant get these pictures to load up

have a look at the two links below. there 6 pictures in total you have to scroll over

the wall and pilars will be going on the 7m part that you cant wee in the picture ( thats only 10inches below ground level)

on the 25m stretch the wall and pillars will be going but it will also retain about 2 foof of ground to get it level with the house

the square is a foundation so just flat blocks to get it level to the house

the picture of the blocs is what will be used for the wall above ground but in 4"

Let me know if this makes sense..........

https://plus.google.com/photos/106797165848808421905/album/6408501192919060801/6408501191346839954?authkey=CKiE14P02vabMw

https://plus.google.com/photos/106797165848808421905/album/6408500241252998737/6408500245260091938?authkey=CI7ui6-pspeqswE

@howyegettinon1
    I think u should get a Bricklayer to have a look and price it. There's a good few blocks in it and them fairfaced blocks aren't the easiest thing to build especially on peirs.
    The worst thing u could do is make a start at it and give up after a few days and ask a Brickie to finish it of. We would only love to overcharge ha

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

Unless you absoluteley fill the bed joints 100% water will inevitably get into the voids . In a freezing weather there is a potential for the water which has got into the voids and freeze thus the bed joint has the potential to split. If you want it to last 9" and fill the holes with concrete
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭darrenking

Hi, I'm a qualified bricklayer and would be happy to give you a quote and can guarantee a top quality job done quickly.

Unless you absoluteley fill the bed joints 100% water will inevitably get into the voids . In a freezing weather there is a potential for the water which has got into the voids and freeze thus the bed joint has the potential to split. If you want it to last 9" and fill the holes with concrete
    regards

That is useless un less u have starter bars coming out of the foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Block on flat up to ground level break the bond every two courses by putting in a half block at the start of the course. No need for steel or anything like that block on flat will hold back that height of backfill with ease. You'll probably manage fifty blocks a day as a beginner. Get a Brickie to do the above ground work or do it yourself and be prepared to redo it several times as finished block work is a skill and takes time to learn that craft. Get a set of line and pins and a cheap trowel the expensive ones are only for tradesmen it would be wasted on a beginner. Enjoy but it will be a hard slog.

Advertisement