Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marco Silva has embarrassed English football in the same way Maurico Pochettino did

• 06-04-2017 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting article in the Telegraph about Marco Silva.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/06/marco-silva-has-embarrassed-english-football-way-maurico-pochettino/
    When Marco Silva was named Hull City manager in January, the consensus was that the Portuguese had been extremely lucky to be given a chance to manage in the Premier League. Three months later, Hull will be fortunate to hang on to him.

Hull had made so many mistakes since promotion from the Championship, that glorious day in May last year when Steve Bruce, the most successful manager in the club’s history, returned them to the top flight, that the appointment of Silva was dismissed as another one.

According to Sky Sports pundits Paul Merson and Phil Thompson, Silva’s arrival was an insult to all the hard-working British managers who had done their time in the lower leagues.

There is more
    Here's the video with Merson, it's actually laughable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There's a reason the likes of Paul Merson are working in TV and not in the game. Same goes for mouthpieces in every country. Their opinions are worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Le Tessier looked embarrassed to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Wow, would love for Hull to stay up now.

Have to say I wrote them off a long time ago, would love them to prove me wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I agree its embarrassing what the so called experts have to say (and even more its embarrassing the fees that they are paid to spout such drivel) but in reality, does it actually matter? All the talk and rolling news is just hot air.

The real talking is done on the pitch and the training ground, none of the rest matters, not the analysis, not the pre and post match interviews, the mind games, the weather etc etc

Dont get sucked into the hype and soap opera of it all, life is much simpler!

(On Topic: Fair play to Marco Silva, seems like a shrewd operator)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Paul Merson is only Sky's version of Dunphy about the same amount of coke and all....His opinion is worthless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The level of literacy, education and so on in the English game is pretty much rock bottom.

The standard of punditry in more upper class sports like Rugby is so far ahead of it it beggars belief.

Concerted efforts have been made to move away from this and rather than having people who haven't a ****ing notion what they're on about, the likes of Neville, Carragher and co actually make it their job to know things about football, to discuss it and to inform viewers, but the random player grabbed for an interview can barely string a sentence together.

Pretty much all the old guard are from the latter category.

It's mental when you think about it, that the majority of pundits can't speak properly.
    I don't know whether Jamie Redknapp is capable of uttering a single gramatically correct sentence.

Surely if they're looking for people to talk for a living that'd be one of the boxes that would require ticking.

As for Dunphy and co, they might be stuck in the past a bit and maybe the game has left them behind, but they're capable of formulating arguments, speaking coherently and getting their points across without it being mumbled nonsense.
    They're a lot better than most of what you see in English football punditry.

Merson looks trollied there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Merson is essentially a warning from history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Wonder did Merson apply for Olympiacos job recently. Manger was only sacked would have won the league no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Paul Merson is only Sky's version of Dunphy about the same amount of coke and all....His opinion is worthless
    To be fair that's nonsense. Dunphy was interesting at times back in the day and had a bit of journalistic experience about him. "Merse" is just a very poor pundit. In fact all of them on that panel are poor. Phil Thompson is awful. Jeff Stelling is a very good presenter, the 4 pundits are shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The whole point of Gillette Soccer Saturday is to have stooges there for Stelling to take the piss out of.It's not supposed to be taken seriously in any way.I don't think Paul Merson even takes himself that seriously at all.

It's an entertainment show for entertainment and laughs not in depth analysis.

The fact is the majority of people who watch any sport on TV are just casual viewers and the pundits will be tailored to suit them.

To be honest for all the praise he gets Gary Neville is becoming a real dose to listen to.He's a terrible co-commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Stelling is off I wonder if the production team will review the whole shtick of the panel as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

TheCitizen wrote: »
    To be fair that's nonsense. Dunphy was interesting at times back in the day and had a bit of journalistic experience about him. "Merse" is just a very poor pundit. In fact all of them on that panel are poor. Phil Thompson is awful. Jeff Stelling is a very good presenter, the 4 pundits are shíte.

It definitely needs a shake up, feels so stale in the last year or two. Dismissing Silva despite his success and reputation in Europe was absolute drivel. I got that sky want to big up the league but have a bit of cop on. It needs more balance to be honest, Merson is not the brightest spark to be fair.

I think the week before Merson was saying how West Ham should sell Payet for 40 million and buy Martial for 20. To be fair in that instance the rest of the lads called him out on his bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm gonna defend Merson in that he gets a lot of stick for wrong predictions but what I will defend him for is that he puts himself out there and doesn't sit on the fence. He'll always admit he was wrong with too.

Id rather guys that put themselves out there rather than act coy on it all like Redknapp and Shearer.

Phil Thompson is also getting away with it for this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

I dont get how Silva and pochettino embarrassed english football??? Because they are good managers?

I think the point Merson and Thompson were making is there basically there is not enough british managers in the top jobs in the premier league, and they were moaning about that. They didnt say it in the most eloquent way, and were very disrespectful.

Neville said after he got sacked from Valencia, did he regret going?
    He said, No, because, I am a young coach/manager, and was been given a chance to manage a big club.. I had to take it, as in this country, we moan about english managers not getting a chance at big clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Shame to see Merson come out with so many clangers over the years, was a hell of a player and had a great brain for the game. Seems he just got sucked down into the 'hold firm British' way of thinking as a pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Corholio wrote: »
    Shame to see Merson come out with so many clangers over the years, was a hell of a player and had a great brain for the game. Seems he just got sucked down into the 'hold firm British' way of thinking as a pundit.

You gotta look at who owns Sky fully now, Murdoch pushed Brexit in the first place. He knows those xenophobic remarks will resonate with a fair amount of viewers "foreigners taking English peoples jobs". No different to what the Sun are peddling, Sky probably encourage those views from some pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Lukker- wrote: »
    You gotta look at who owns Sky fully now, Murdoch pushed Brexit in the first place. He knows those xenophobic remarks will resonate with a fair amount of viewers "foreigners taking English peoples jobs". No different to what the Sun are peddling, Sky probably encourage those views from some pundits.

You think Rupert Murdoch tells Paul Merson and Phil Thompson to have a particular view?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lukker- wrote: »

You think Rupert Murdoch tells Paul Merson and Phil Thompson to have a particular view?

I don't think they are told what to say, they probably legitimately believe what they say, but yeah it absolutely wouldn't surprise me if certain pundits were picked to be outspoken pro England mouth pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The whole point of Gillette Soccer Saturday is to have stooges there for Stelling to take the piss out of.It's not supposed to be taken seriously in any way.I don't think Paul Merson even takes himself that seriously at all.
    It's not just Merson though, is it? Look at the situation with the England manager job, it seems any time it becomes available, there is a huge clamour from much of the media to get an English coach in. The same argument that Merson used gets thrown out - foreign coaches apparently "don't get" the English game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's not just Merson though, is it? Look at the situation with the England manager job, it seems any time it becomes available, there is a huge clamour from much of the media to get an English coach in. The same argument that Merson used gets thrown out - foreign coaches apparently "don't get" the English game.

Yeah it may be a problem in general I just wouldn't be using Soccer Saturday as an example for highlighting it as it's not a serious show.

The bigger issue is why are English coaches not very good, for the size of the country there hasn't been any great English coaches in around 20 years.The last time and Englishman won their own league was in 1992 yet all the other major European leagues are won regularly by coaches from within the country and there are always coaches from within those country's that are justifiable candidates for the big jobs there.The lack of willingness to move abroad by english players and coaches I think is a big drawback as english players are so rooted in the English game and don't see anything outside of it that they get conditioned to seeing the game in only a certain way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It's an entertainment show for entertainment and laughs not in depth analysis.

The fact is the majority of people who watch any sport on TV are just casual viewers and the pundits will be tailored to suit them.

To be honest for all the praise he gets Gary Neville is becoming a real dose to listen to.He's a terrible co-commentator.

His brother Phil's take on the Shaw situation couldn't be more wide of the mark if he'd tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Something in that video grabbed my attention. They way Merson scoffed at the Greek league being so bad, they only list the fixtures a month in advance

Maybe that's actually a really good idea? Maybe a little longer would be better, 6 weeks or something, but it has merits!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Something in that video grabbed my attention. They way Merson scoffed at the Greek league being so bad, they only list the fixtures a month in advance

Maybe that's actually a really good idea? Maybe a little longer would be better, 6 weeks or something, but it has merits!

Is that actually true? I just presumed it was him spoofing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Is that actually true? I just presumed it was him spoofing!!

Surely there's nothing stopping them doing the fixtures for the whole season in one go. They must have their reasons, not because they are not capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Think I read somewhere silva is unbeaten in his last 40 home games. Thought they were doomed esp with their business in January but now hope they stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A borderline racist rant from that idiot Merson, a shame Sky employ's an individual of such poor standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

racist?? nah, not even close

He raises, albeit with his former player awkwardness, some interesting questions about the EPL and English football and the selection process by club owners to appoint a manager

Its only part of whats wrong with the game, but we aren't yet near a position where anything like the change thats required is on the cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

no it is not true all you have to do is go to the league website and you will see the fixtures until the end of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I doubt that Merson even knows where Greece is, let alone how the fixtures for the Greek league are organised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BBDBB wrote: »
    racist?? nah, not even close

He raises, albeit with his former player awkwardness, some interesting questions about the EPL and English football and the selection process by club owners to appoint a manager

Its only part of whats wrong with the game, but we aren't yet near a position where anything like the change thats required is on the cards

I wouldn't call it racist but it's certainly xenophobic.

Typical of that 'johnny foreigner' attitude.

Why do they think that a foreign manager would not know how to handle the English game when the majority of managers in the premier league now are foreign.

Merson starts with 'I've got nothing against foreign managers' and then delivers a spiteful rant that Nigel Farage and Last Night of The Proms audience would love.

Wonder he'll be reminded of this if Hull stay up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

The last English manager to win the league was Howard Wilkinson. If I was a premier league team, Id take a punt on a foreign manager every time.
    Like what English manager did they think should get the job

Advertisement